“Nice Property-Rough Neighborhood” 5 of 5 bubbles

Candlewood Suites South Bend Airport
Ranked #18 of 29 Hotels in South Bend
“Nice Property-Rough Neighborhood”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 June 2013 via mobile

Almost new property, I think not more than a year. Friendly staff. Rooms are still in immaculate condition, clean and quiet. Very comfortable beds. Has everything you expect from Candlewood, full size fridge, dishes, dishwasher, micro, coffeemaker. Washers and dryers are free. They have an indoor pool and covered patio with grill. I did not use either so won,t comment. Not the type of neighborhood I feel comfortable walking in so I used the well equipped exercise room. 2 treadmills, 1 elyptical and a weight machine. It all worked. Flat screen tv, furnished towels. Overall nice place to stay just in kinda a run down part of town.

• Stayed June 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Marissa H, General Manager at Candlewood Suites South Bend Airport, responded to this review, 27 January 2015
I am happy to hear that you found our property to be nice. South Bend is revamping the area in which our hotel is located. I am sure if you return to our hotel you will definitely see a difference. Here at Candlewood Suites we pride ourselves on the quality of our rooms and our amenities. Each and every room comes with a full kitchen, fully stocked with utensils, pots, pans, plates and cups. We also do have a beautiful fitness center in which our free laundry facility is also located. We also have a large convenience store (Candlewood Cupboard) located right across from our lobby. We hope that if you return to the area we will again enjoy another stay with us here at Candlewood Suites-South Bend.

Marissa Hetrick

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Burlington, Vermont
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 May 2013

I am a Rewards Club Member so I stayed at a Candlewood Suites because it was nearby the South Bend Airport. I’m rarely disappointed by the suggestions made on the website for Club Members so I didn't think twice about booking – I just wanted to be close to the airport. While the employees at Candlewood were pleasant and there were some great convenience features relating to available food, there were many things that left me disappointed. I don’t feel that the rooms are well taken care of or cleaned regularly. There were small things that were not tended to but it added up. For example, the bathroom garbage still had trash in it from the last guest. Also I am a taller person so when I was using the refrigerator I noticed that the top was filthy as though it hadn't been cleaned in quite a while. While this may be out of reach for some cleaning personnel I think it’s something that should be cleaned because I’m sure I am not the only one that would notice this. Last, there was a small stain on the sheets on the bed which to me looked like a blood stain. If a stain cannot be removed the sheets should be thrown out and new ones installed. In my mind I also wondered if the sheets had ever been changed from the previous guest.

Beside the room being dirty there were other items that needed attention by management. The display on the wall thermostat to control the air in the room was not working at all so I couldn’t control the air in my room. If the battery is dead in the thermostat then change it! This type of problem can make your guest very uncomfortable depending on the time of the year. While I was settling in I looked at the time and (thankfully) realized it was behind an hour. It took me a while to figure out how to reset it so I could use it as an alarm. I think that resetting the clock in each room should be an easy task to perform. Having the wrong time in the morning – especially in a hotel near an airport – could really hurt someone’s schedule. I received a room with a king size bed but the room was not big enough for the bed. There was less than a foot on one side of the bed to get out then a chair on the other side. It made getting out of bed awkward. Last I feel that the airport taxi service recommended to me was not a good suggestion. Per the recommendation of the hotel receptionist I went with Express Cab. When I got out of the airport there was no Express Cab there but plenty of other options. The reason I called Express Cab was due to a special $7 rate established for Candlewood Suite guests that the receptionist told me about. When I called the service they were not near the airport and didn't seem to want to go out of their way for a “special rate.” I ended up paying a little more for a taxi that was present to get to the hotel. It was frustrating to deal with on my arrival in South Bend.

So to say the least I was not very impressed. The staff that waits on you upon check in, check out, and on the phone were pleasant but they should probably evaluate the people that are performing maid service. Maybe these issues have not been brought to management’s attention by the cleaning staff at the hotel or maybe management should be spot checking rooms to avoid these situations. If I have to visit the area again I will not be staying at Candlewood Suites. I wouldn't call it a dump however they really need to take these concerns into consideration to avoid losing business in the future.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank Bill H
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Candlewood Suites South Bend Airport, responded to this review, 21 May 2013
Dear Bill H,

Thank you for being a Priority Club Rewards Member and for leaving us feedback. We aim to provide the best possible service and experience and it is always great to hear from our guests on how we are doing. I am sorry that on this visit you were disappointed with the condition of the room you were given. Your comments will be forwarded to the ownership of the hotel to take into consideration for future upgrades.

Once again, thank you for your feedback and my apologies for the inconvenience.

Regards,

Pam G
Case Manager
IHGCare

Travellers are raving about these South Bend hotels

Charlevoix, Mi.
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 January 2013 via mobile

Hotel is very clean and comfortable. Room was up to date and had a full kitchen. Someone said in a review its in a rough neighborhood ABSOLUTELY NOT. No breakfast offered but they have a full pantry of items for sale. I was very happy with my stay and will stay here every time im in South Bend

• Stayed January 2013
Iowa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 December 2012

After reading a few reviews i was a little skeptical but our stay at the Candlewick was great. We had a family of 4 so the kitchenette was a nice bonus so we didn't have to eat out every meal. It was a very quick drive over to Notre Dame campus but i think they also offered a shuttle over to the stadium for a fee. The rooms were clean and comfortable and the front desk staff was nice. Down fall - the jacuzzi was broken over the weekend we were there and the actual neighborhood the hotel in was OK but a few blocks further was a little shady but within very close driving distance to eating and Walmart was about a mile away. I would still recommend it.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with family
Milwaukee
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 September 2012

When we checked in, there was a softball tournament going on in town; seemed like it was going to go kay, but the when the teams returned from a night out, at 3am, it was VERY noisy!. Had two rooms, one was right next to the office and there was no apparant attempt to get the noise level down. Tried to make coffe in the AM; coffe pot and coffee maker were different models resulting in the coffee overflowing in the counter. Dead bug in the towel I used in the AM after a shower. Front desk woman was nice, said she would advise Expedia about problems, will see what they say. Not a pleasant stay.

Room Tip: Call ahead to see if there are any large groups there. If so, avoid this place.
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Candlewood Suites South Bend Airport, responded to this review, 18 September 2012
Dear R R,

Thank you for taking the time to write our property a review. I am glad that you found our location and room accommodations satisfactory. I am sorry that your stay was negatively affected by the noise levels at the hotel. We appreciate the candid feedback we receive and welcome any opportunity to improve.

Again, I do apologize and regret that this impacted your experience at our hotel. I sincerely hope that the next time you are in South Bend, you will give our hotel another try.

Pam G.
Case Manager
IHGCare
Columbus, Indiana, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 August 2012

We stayed last friday first time ever at this hotel.We would love to come back sometime.room was great everyone was friendly.it had a great pool.hot tub was not working but that was ok .on one else was in the pool so we had it by ourselfs.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
Indianapolis, Indiana, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2012

I had a wonderful experience staying at Candlewood the employees were professional and very friendly, the rooms are beautiful and very clean I always write reviews on hotels and this is the first one without any complaints. The star of my experience was one of the desk clerks named Marissa no matter how many times I called down to the desk she was always pleasent and professional she is the example of what good customer service is all about. Candlewood will be the only hotel I plan to stay at when visiting South Bend!!

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family