“The Best Hotel”

Ranked #18 of 29 Hotels in South Bend
South Bend, Indiana
“The Best Hotel”
Reviewed 2 May 2014

This is a great place to stay.The staff is very friendly and very helpful.The rooms are great and I felt like I was staying in my own home because it is so clean.This was my third time staying here and I wouldn't stay at another hotel but this one.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Marissa H, General Manager at Candlewood Suites South Bend Airport, responded to this review, 27 January 2015
I am happy to hear that you enjoy Candlewood Suites-South Bend. We are always happy to have repeat guests! Candlewood Suites is perfectly designed to help each and every guest feel at home.

Marissa Hetrick

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Battle Creek, Michigan
Reviewed 20 April 2014

I can't say enough about the service provided by the Customer Service gurus at the South Bend Candlewood Suite! They went the extra mile in all areas and took great care in making Priority Club Platinum members feel like the most important VIP clients ever!

The rooms were clean, neat and the facility was top shelf amongst the Candlewood Suites I've had the opportunity to visit.

Don't be misled by the previous posts, they all represent evaluations prior to the new General Manager came on board and revamped the staff and processes.

If you're looking for a great hotel, reasonably priced, with incredible service in the South Bend area - pick the SB Candlewood Suite, you won't be disappointed.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Elyse H, General Manager at Candlewood Suites South Bend Airport, responded to this review, 22 April 2014
Mr. Huggett,

What a pleasure it was to have you as a guest of the Candlewood Suites in South Bend, Indiana! We are thrilled that you enjoyed your time with us, as we enjoyed our time with you. We appreciate that you took the time to write this review to say such kind words about our staff. I would like to pass along their sincerest gratitude. We can't wait to see you again!
Reviewed 1 January 2014 via mobile

You can find other Sourh Bend Indiana airport properties that are better than this place. Even it is a nonsmoking property it smelled of smoke. Also the sheets were made of this grippy almost Velcro like material that kind of fixed you to the surface. Pillows were uncomfortable. Overall not a good experience for us. Do yourself a favor and stay somewhere else

Stayed January 2014
Elyse H, General Manager at Candlewood Suites South Bend Airport, responded to this review, 4 January 2014
Thank you so much for taking the time to fill out this review of the Candlewood Suites. On behalf of our entire staff, I would like to apologize for the discomfort that you felt during your stay. The comfort of our guests is one of our highest priorities, and we regret that we fell short in this regard. We will be working diligently to ensure that these issues are corrected. It is our sincerest hope that you will give us another opportunity to show you these improvements and just how much your feedback means to us.

Travellers are raving about these South Bend hotels

Reviewed 13 June 2013 via mobile

Almost new property, I think not more than a year. Friendly staff. Rooms are still in immaculate condition, clean and quiet. Very comfortable beds. Has everything you expect from Candlewood, full size fridge, dishes, dishwasher, micro, coffeemaker. Washers and dryers are free. They have an indoor pool and covered patio with grill. I did not use either so won,t comment. Not the type of neighborhood I feel comfortable walking in so I used the well equipped exercise room. 2 treadmills, 1 elyptical and a weight machine. It all worked. Flat screen tv, furnished towels. Overall nice place to stay just in kinda a run down part of town.

• Stayed June 2013
I am happy to hear that you found our property to be nice. South Bend is revamping the area in which our hotel is located. I am sure if you return to our hotel you will definitely see a difference. Here at Candlewood Suites we pride ourselves on the quality of our rooms and our amenities. Each and every room comes with a full kitchen, fully stocked with utensils, pots, pans, plates and cups. We also do have a beautiful fitness center in which our free laundry facility is also located. We also have a large convenience store (Candlewood Cupboard) located right across from our lobby. We hope that if you return to the area we will again enjoy another stay with us here at Candlewood Suites-South Bend.

Marissa Hetrick
Burlington, Vermont
Reviewed 3 May 2013

I am a Rewards Club Member so I stayed at a Candlewood Suites because it was nearby the South Bend Airport. I’m rarely disappointed by the suggestions made on the website for Club Members so I didn't think twice about booking – I just wanted to be close to the airport. While the employees at Candlewood were pleasant and there were some great convenience features relating to available food, there were many things that left me disappointed. I don’t feel that the rooms are well taken care of or cleaned regularly. There were small things that were not tended to but it added up. For example, the bathroom garbage still had trash in it from the last guest. Also I am a taller person so when I was using the refrigerator I noticed that the top was filthy as though it hadn't been cleaned in quite a while. While this may be out of reach for some cleaning personnel I think it’s something that should be cleaned because I’m sure I am not the only one that would notice this. Last, there was a small stain on the sheets on the bed which to me looked like a blood stain. If a stain cannot be removed the sheets should be thrown out and new ones installed. In my mind I also wondered if the sheets had ever been changed from the previous guest.

Beside the room being dirty there were other items that needed attention by management. The display on the wall thermostat to control the air in the room was not working at all so I couldn’t control the air in my room. If the battery is dead in the thermostat then change it! This type of problem can make your guest very uncomfortable depending on the time of the year. While I was settling in I looked at the time and (thankfully) realized it was behind an hour. It took me a while to figure out how to reset it so I could use it as an alarm. I think that resetting the clock in each room should be an easy task to perform. Having the wrong time in the morning – especially in a hotel near an airport – could really hurt someone’s schedule. I received a room with a king size bed but the room was not big enough for the bed. There was less than a foot on one side of the bed to get out then a chair on the other side. It made getting out of bed awkward. Last I feel that the airport taxi service recommended to me was not a good suggestion. Per the recommendation of the hotel receptionist I went with Express Cab. When I got out of the airport there was no Express Cab there but plenty of other options. The reason I called Express Cab was due to a special $7 rate established for Candlewood Suite guests that the receptionist told me about. When I called the service they were not near the airport and didn't seem to want to go out of their way for a “special rate.” I ended up paying a little more for a taxi that was present to get to the hotel. It was frustrating to deal with on my arrival in South Bend.

So to say the least I was not very impressed. The staff that waits on you upon check in, check out, and on the phone were pleasant but they should probably evaluate the people that are performing maid service. Maybe these issues have not been brought to management’s attention by the cleaning staff at the hotel or maybe management should be spot checking rooms to avoid these situations. If I have to visit the area again I will not be staying at Candlewood Suites. I wouldn't call it a dump however they really need to take these concerns into consideration to avoid losing business in the future.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank Bill H
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Candlewood Suites South Bend Airport, responded to this review, 21 May 2013
Dear Bill H,

Thank you for being a Priority Club Rewards Member and for leaving us feedback. We aim to provide the best possible service and experience and it is always great to hear from our guests on how we are doing. I am sorry that on this visit you were disappointed with the condition of the room you were given. Your comments will be forwarded to the ownership of the hotel to take into consideration for future upgrades.

Once again, thank you for your feedback and my apologies for the inconvenience.

Regards,

Pam G
Case Manager
IHGCare
Charlevoix, Mi.
Reviewed 8 January 2013 via mobile

Hotel is very clean and comfortable. Room was up to date and had a full kitchen. Someone said in a review its in a rough neighborhood ABSOLUTELY NOT. No breakfast offered but they have a full pantry of items for sale. I was very happy with my stay and will stay here every time im in South Bend

• Stayed January 2013
Iowa
Reviewed 20 December 2012

After reading a few reviews i was a little skeptical but our stay at the Candlewick was great. We had a family of 4 so the kitchenette was a nice bonus so we didn't have to eat out every meal. It was a very quick drive over to Notre Dame campus but i think they also offered a shuttle over to the stadium for a fee. The rooms were clean and comfortable and the front desk staff was nice. Down fall - the jacuzzi was broken over the weekend we were there and the actual neighborhood the hotel in was OK but a few blocks further was a little shady but within very close driving distance to eating and Walmart was about a mile away. I would still recommend it.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with family