“the check-in was easy and efficient- the room was clean...”

Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham South Bend / At Notre Dame
Ranked #7 of 30 Hotels in South Bend
Reviewed 31 July 2014

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham
1  Thank Judy M
There are newer reviews for Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham South Bend / At Notre Dame

Reviewed 29 July 2014

I stayed in this particular Microtel on a business trip on 7/28/14 and loved the room! Everything was perfect until I woke up the next morning. My wife and I had about 5-10 bug bites that welted up. I told the front desk and they kindly compted our room. But holy crap did that suck.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Nathanael F
Reviewed 28 July 2014

This place is in sad contrast to the usually excellent Microtel chain standards. It was dirty. It was old. We really had to use the washing machine but it was broken. Breakfast was horrible and picked over by 8 am. The bulbs barely lit the room. The carpet was dirty. There were visible hand prints on the desk and walls. The night staff was friendly and accommodating, but there is only so much he could have done. The wifi barely worked.

Room Tip: Avoid this hotel unless you have a high tolerance for pain.
Reviewed 26 July 2014

The original double room was not very clean. There was a dirty rag laying on the floor, the light fixture above the bed was broken hanging down, and the light above the tv did not work. The window cushion was stained. The room was extremely small, with storage space. The staff was very friendly and helpful and moved us to a much nicer room. The second room had a dirty counter.

Review collected in partnership with Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham
Reviewed 25 July 2014

My 11 year old daughter and I stayed here for AYOP. She called the hotel the "hotel of creepy, dirty guys". The staff was very unfriendly and even raised their voice to me. On check-in the staff was busy watching television and forgot to actually check me in. They ended up calling it a no show even though I was in the room. The second and third nights we did not have wash cloths. The carpet was dirty and wet the entire stay in front of the bathroom. The seal of the refrigerator had food in it that dropped out when you opened it. Staff nasty when I tried to confirm unusual check out time. The breakfast was cold and slimy. They only had tiny plates and food was not replenished. The parking lot had creepy guys who followed you around, and whistled at 11 year olds. I was cornered at car door by a dirty begger. When I informed the staff, she was not very nice. Later, she gave the guy a job application. This seems to explain the other creepy guys that were scaring my child. She did not feel safe in the hotel. At check out staff was very nasty because of their mistake at check in. They gave me a note to give to bank with a code on it, but neither person at main number or bank has ever heard of it. So, one day after check out the bank only has 2 pre-authorizations because the hotel has not done their job. The main number said one week from check out, they will be able to handle the problem. Despite a report to main number, who said they will give info to manager, and a voicemail to illusive manager, I have not received a call back. The situation remains unresolved. I did everything I was supposed to do, all I can do is wait for them. For 100 dollars per night, these problems should have never happened. I've paid 50 per night in the Wyndham group and had a better stay. I would never stay at the hotel again or recommend the hotel. I just have to wait and see if the hotel wants paid.

Room Tip: choose another hotel
Reviewed 25 July 2014

We did not have much exchange with the staff aside from checking in and out. They were fine, not bad-not great. The lobby and hallways seemed okay with newer furnishings and carpet. That is were it all stopped. The carpet in our room was visibly filthy and the bathroom floor was sticky, towels dingy, light fixtures dusty. The decor was very dated and there was no comforable seating just a desk chair and a pad over the HVAC unit. The walls were paper-thin, we only had one adjacent room and could easily hear medium-level conversations coming from next door. The flourescent lighting over the bed was bright enough to land an aircraft. The bed itself was decent for sleeping on. Were were provided with one miniscule bar of soap for the bathroom to use for both the sink and shower. No shampoos, etc. The water was way too soft for rinsing off which may be the source for their problems rinsing the bathroom floor and washing the towels. We were too grossed out by our room to even try the breakfast buffet so can't really comment as we ate at the restaurant next door basically adding another $30 to the cost of our room. In retrospect, the $30 would have been better spent on a different hotel.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 July 2014

Stopped here on our way back from Yellowstone. After a long trip, and a disappointing stay at a Super 8 the night before, we were hesitant to try another Wyndham brand. However, this hotel was a winner. We paid $79 for a clean comfortable room with large mirrors behind the bed, which made the room appear bigger. Front desk was helpful and gave us some suggestions on where to park (the parking lot was packed when we arrived) and where to go in town. Bed was comfortable, breakfast was basic (cold cereal, oatmeal, small muffins, bread, etc.). I would recommend this to others looking for a clean hotel at a reasonable price.

Room Tip: Our room on the second floor (room 203) was both quiet and clean