“very disappointed.”

Rocco's
Ranked #8 of 308 Restaurants in South Bend
Cuisines: Italian
Reviewed 19 April 2014

My wife, two teens, and I ate here over Easter weekend. We were visiting the area from out of town. We were looking for a local Italian restaurant that was not a chain because we like to find mom and pop places that have their own taste and flare. If this is the best Italian food that South Bend has to offer, I feel bad for them. House salad consisted of some iceberg lettuce, a very few shreds of carrots, and a sliver of a tomato. I can make a better salad at home with my eyes closed. Normally when you go out to eat, a salad always tastes better than anything you can make at home. Not the case at Rocco's. We had lasagna, cheese ravioli, a meatball sub, and a pizza. We all were disappointed with our choices. Very bland and not and lacked flavor. The cheese ravioli tasted like Chef Boyardee. Unfortunately, I'm not kidding. I've found that it's pretty hard to mess up Italian food. They seem to have done it. Service was below average as well. Had to ask for bread, refills, and ask twice for lemons for our water. Total bill was $56 which is not bad, except for the food was not very good. If you are in South Bend and are looking for Italian, I would look elsewhere. In fact, I would look anywhere but here. They open at 4:30 on Saturday afternoons. Kind of a dump inside, which I really don't mind as long as the food is good. Too bad for us that it wasn't.

2  Thank 6Hotellover9

Reviewed 6 April 2014

Our daughter recommended Rocco's which is considered to be a local institution. Definitely reminded us of an old fashioned neighborhood eatery with black and white framed photos on most of the walls, a large hand painted mural on another, and lots of tables filled with families, school kids, and couples. Very friendly waitress who sat us down and got our service started right away. We arrived early on a Friday evening (5:30) so we were seated immediately but during the course of our dinner, we saw the place filling up fast.

We had a large cheese pizza and it was okay. Nothing special. Given how popular this place seems to be and because our daughter and her friends love it, we figure we'll come back and order something else to get a better idea of the food. We liked the friendly atmosphere a lot.

Reviewed 30 March 2014

We have eaten here for more than 40 years. When Rocco gave it up, his daughter and SIL took it over and nothing thankfully changed. A wonderful friendly family who are always there. Very popular with Notre Dame folks. Forget it on football weekends. Food is all homemade and is excellent. Pretty much all Italian. Try it when in town.

Reviewed 20 March 2014

The food at Rocco's is outstanding...it is a timeless icon across from ND and St Joe HS. Pizza, pasta, lasagna...outstanding!

Reviewed 3 March 2014

This is a well known local casual restaurant known for its pizza. Very family friendly. If you go early, it will be swarming with kids. If you want a more adult (read: quiet) dinner, aim for a later meal time. Unfortunately, they don't take reservations. Garlic cheesy bread is a do-not-pass-up appetizer. All portions are generous.

Been to Rocco's? Share your experiences!