“very nice”

La Quinta Inn & Suites South Bend
Ranked #13 of 29 Hotels in South Bend

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Reviewed 8 December 2012

I've been to the Airport Inn & my has it come a long way. They're almost done with renovation. The room was beautiful. Nice linens. Plasma screen. Beautiful dark wood dressers. A mini fridge. An enormous closet mirror. Nice bathroom. Only thing that I would nag about is the mouse who smelled our pizza & decided to get cozy. the lobby has an eating area & the colors are very nice.
Going back with my boyfriend on my bday. It was a nice getaway from my house. We had fun. Plenty of white towels. House keeping showed up but I think we had the DND sign on the door the entire time. We didn't come to get pampered anyway. Staff was pleasant.

• Stayed November 2012
Kansas City, Kansas
Reviewed 5 November 2012

Despite the negative reviews, we stayed at this property after directly booking with the manager who assured us the renovation/construction would be almost done by our arrival. We were in a BEAUTIFUL pristine room complete with brand new furniture, linens, bedding and all the amenities. The entrance and the lobby were still works in progress. Because of that, there was no breakfast area (we were told that would be the case), no business center, and only a single desk/computer for check in/out. The friendly, helpful staff more than made up for this by their prompt attention to all the guests' requests for printing off directions, boarding passes, receipts, dining recommendations, etc. I inadvertently left a pair of earrings behind and the manager personally retrieved them from the vacated room and is safe keeping them for me for our return stay in two weeks. I hope to give 5 stars after the next stay!

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank momstaxi1500
Glenside, Pennsylvania, United States
Reviewed 21 September 2012

Staying in this hotel was like sleeping on a construction job site. There was virtually no entrance and I had to go around the construction equipment, literally tip-toeing over and around debris and equipment. As I checked in there was a lobby tile floor which was partially finished with the spacers strewn about the lobby and hallway. I was basically shocked that they were open for business under these conditions. The doors in the hallways were covered with plastic sheathing and there were several piles of debris and work supplies all around. Construction dust permeated the air. Of course, it was loud, even at night. As well, the vending machines were inoperable. The only redeeming quality was its proximity to the airport. I had an early morning flight and simply walked about 750 yards to the terminal in South Bend. All of this for $102 per night. I tried to book this on line and was directed to "HotelsOne". I actually paid a booking fee to stay at this horror hotel. Avoid this place at all costs. Think twice if you see "HotelsOne".

• Stayed September 2012, travelled on business

Travellers are raving about these South Bend hotels

Colorado
Reviewed 15 September 2012

I've stayed in some bad hotels in the US, Asia, and Africa. However, I've never stayed in a hotel this bad. Never.

Also, I never book a hotel without looking at TripAdvisor. My stay (last night) at this pit was made by a corporate booker. Unfortunately I did not look it up. I SO wish that I had.

The "hotel" is in the middle of a major renovation. Boy, does it ever need it. When I arrived, the entire lobby and entrance was a construction site. They had to take a tarp off the front desk to check me in.

The clerk told me the rooms were being updated, but not yet available, so he put me in one of the un-renovated rooms. I navigated past machinery and mess to get to the elevator and up I went to the second floor.

The hallway was a disaster. There were paint splatters on the doors, dust and particles across the ancient and thinned carpet. The hall smelled moldy. I hoped against hope the room would be better. I was wrong.

When I got to my room, the door, for some reason, was propped open. The room was, quite frankly, shocking. The old tattered carpet was stained, torn, and had specks of wood or sawdust (obviously no vacuum had been used). The cubby for hanging clothes looked like someone had taken a sledge hammer to it. It was busted up in pieces and had a pair of old socks drying on top of the pile. The TV was ancient and the remote broken. There was no desk, but two chairs ... although the stains in them made me think they were from a nursing home.

Wallpaper was torn and/or falling off the walls. The curtains were broken and looked like a kid had hung on them. They were almost half ripped down. The bedding was thin, thread worn, and disgusting. The mattresses were old, stained, and filthy.

The bathroom had not been cleaned and had no linen. There was no safety bar on the door.

Then I figured it out. My friends at corporate had played a trick on me. I started looking for the hidden camera. Finding none, I went to the lobby to get a real room. Unfortunately, it was no joke. What I saw was all I could get.

What about Internet? Not available. Morning breakfast? Nada. In room coffee or hair dryer? Zip. Coffee anywhere in the hotel? Sorry. Shuttle to the airport? Not in this lifetime. Clean linen? Ah, finally a "yes," although the towels looked like they had coffee stains. "Could I get some clean ones?" I asked, pointing to the stains. "Those ARE clean," was the reply.

Since friends had dropped me at the hotel and I had no car, I stayed, but only after inspecting the bed carefully for bed bugs (none found). However, the walls and ceiling are poorly insulated, and the noise from neighboring rooms, the people above me, and the folks having a party down the hall were amplified into my room.

Worse yet, at least as far as trying to get some sleep, was the flies in the room that kept waking me up throughout the night. Since only one light in the room worked, I was defenseless. After a fitful night, I finally got up at 4 am, dressed, and went to the airport (a hundred yards are so) to get the Internet, a badly needed cup of coffee, and modern civilization.

My advice? Do NOT book this place until after the renovation is done and ONLY after you see a number of excellent reviews from other TripAdvisor folks.

Maybe my pain will be your gain. If I could give this place a MINUS 5 STARS, I would.

By the way, I talked with a pastor from Africa the next morning who had also stayed in this same hotel last night. He said, "I've stayed in some terrible hotels across Africa, but I've never stayed in a hotel as bad as this one."

So, now you have the warning of a family physician and a trusted pastor.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank ColoradoDoc
Boise, Idaho
Reviewed 11 September 2012

Booked through Priceline, the hotel said it had a breakfast, pool, internet and a free airport shuttle. When I arrived it was clear that there was some construction but NOTHING could have prepared me for what I saw once into the room. There were paint splatters on almost all of the doors, dust, mold in the hallways.
The room was bad.. Had I been able to leave I would have.. I was very sick and quite tired. Wallpaper was falling off the walls, the curtains were half ripped down, one bed hadn't been changed at all. The other had blood stains down the sides of the mattress. There was NO desk or chair at all. There was no safety bar on the door. The floor was covered in construction type dust and looked like it hadn't been vaccuumed. There was no shuttle, no breakfast and no pool. YUCK

• Stayed September 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank J H
staunton
Reviewed 24 June 2012

Was in town for a cousin's birthday . A block of rooms had been reserved in the spring and we were told that the hotel would be a La Quinta Inns & Suites by June. Didn't happen yet. Yes they are renovating the 3rd floor but those rooms were unavailable. At check-in my MIL was told she had no reservation and when they found it, she was told her credit card was declined. Was finally corrected, person taking reservations wrote down the wrong number. One cousin had to argue to get a room because they spelled his name wrong when he booked the room. Rooms were clean but that was it. Wallpaper was falling off walls, mold was visible in rooms and pool area. Fitness room was completely empty. Two family members had rooms with no ac, another had no toilet. Day receptionist was extremely rude. had to go looking for him at check out. Breakfast was BAD. Also not the best neighborhood.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family