“horrible”

Ranked #11 of 30 Hotels in South Bend
south bend
“horrible”
Reviewed 23 February 2013

This was the most awful hotel I have ever stayed at. Pool closed. No breakfast. Rooms cold. BATHROOM STINKS. Noisy. We came with hockey team and it was a terrible hotel. Anywhere else will be better. We have stayed at many hotels and will never return here. Don't offer your services to teams when you are unable to handle it...................
................................

Room Tip: Go elsewhere...
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with La Quinta

3 Thank ritz18SouthBend

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Lowell
Reviewed 21 February 2013

We stayed in this hotel for a weekend hockey tournament at ND. I had my doubts due to location and outside appearance, but the block of discounted rooms was offered by the tournament holder, and we wanted to stay with the team. We stayed here post-renovation so many reviewers complaints did not apply. There was a cart for our luggage and the lobby appeared decent. The rooms were clean and nicely decorated, with micro, mini fridge, and flat screen. It appeared clean as well. Elevator was a little scary, but I wasn't at the Hilton.

However, at 4:30am the next morning, I was awakened by a pounding on a hotel room door (not mine). Then I proceed to hear an individual on a casual phone conversation, obviously not with whoever is in the room not allowing them back in. I wait. Conversation continues. I got up, opened my door, and ask the girl dressed in what looks like nothing but a coat (yes, I really mean nothing but... ie: "Pretty Woman" no exaggeration) if she would mind continuing her conversation in her room instead of in front of my door. She stated she "lost her room key," to which I let her know I could call the desk for another when she then stated "Well, I don't have a room." I just closed the door and called the desk. Staff came up to the third floor and the guest-who-was-not-a-guest left with her. Smh...

In the morning, I found a dirty coffee pot with no coffee, filters, etc. Nothing but the cups. Easy to overlook, we were planning on eating downstairs anyway. I got downstairs at 7am, breakfast started at 6:30am. There were four people eating when I arrived. There was no milk, so I asked the front desk to refill the milk. She let me know that they were out of milk and bagels. Okay, so I attempt to make a waffle, as I noticed the other patrons were eating waffles. The waffle mix started coming out of the machine super watery. I tried to cook the mix as it was, when the other patrons let me know that it wouldn't really work and they had tried the same. Okay, so not waffle, then. So my choices were mini-donuts from the speedway gas station, or maybe the vending machine, boiled eggs, or toast. The "hot" water for oatmeal was cold, not even tepid.
The hotel was 100% booked on Thursday night, Friday night, and Saturday night. Can the hotel manager not notice he had no stock? Was he unavailable to stop at a store to purchase needed items? for $109.00, I expect something better than what I can purchase at a roadside gas station. Next time, I will stay at the Microtel for a much nicer stay and a hot, decent breakfast; team or no team. I have always enjoyed my stays there.

Room Tip: Stay elswhere.
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Flyersmom

Travellers are raving about these South Bend hotels

Reviewed 8 December 2012

I've been to the Airport Inn & my has it come a long way. They're almost done with renovation. The room was beautiful. Nice linens. Plasma screen. Beautiful dark wood dressers. A mini fridge. An enormous closet mirror. Nice bathroom. Only thing that I would nag about is the mouse who smelled our pizza & decided to get cozy. the lobby has an eating area & the colors are very nice.
Going back with my boyfriend on my bday. It was a nice getaway from my house. We had fun. Plenty of white towels. House keeping showed up but I think we had the DND sign on the door the entire time. We didn't come to get pampered anyway. Staff was pleasant.

• Stayed November 2012
Kansas City, Kansas
Reviewed 5 November 2012

Despite the negative reviews, we stayed at this property after directly booking with the manager who assured us the renovation/construction would be almost done by our arrival. We were in a BEAUTIFUL pristine room complete with brand new furniture, linens, bedding and all the amenities. The entrance and the lobby were still works in progress. Because of that, there was no breakfast area (we were told that would be the case), no business center, and only a single desk/computer for check in/out. The friendly, helpful staff more than made up for this by their prompt attention to all the guests' requests for printing off directions, boarding passes, receipts, dining recommendations, etc. I inadvertently left a pair of earrings behind and the manager personally retrieved them from the vacated room and is safe keeping them for me for our return stay in two weeks. I hope to give 5 stars after the next stay!

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank momstaxi1500
Glenside, Pennsylvania, United States
Reviewed 21 September 2012

Staying in this hotel was like sleeping on a construction job site. There was virtually no entrance and I had to go around the construction equipment, literally tip-toeing over and around debris and equipment. As I checked in there was a lobby tile floor which was partially finished with the spacers strewn about the lobby and hallway. I was basically shocked that they were open for business under these conditions. The doors in the hallways were covered with plastic sheathing and there were several piles of debris and work supplies all around. Construction dust permeated the air. Of course, it was loud, even at night. As well, the vending machines were inoperable. The only redeeming quality was its proximity to the airport. I had an early morning flight and simply walked about 750 yards to the terminal in South Bend. All of this for $102 per night. I tried to book this on line and was directed to "HotelsOne". I actually paid a booking fee to stay at this horror hotel. Avoid this place at all costs. Think twice if you see "HotelsOne".

• Stayed September 2012, travelled on business
Colorado
Reviewed 15 September 2012

I've stayed in some bad hotels in the US, Asia, and Africa. However, I've never stayed in a hotel this bad. Never.

Also, I never book a hotel without looking at TripAdvisor. My stay (last night) at this pit was made by a corporate booker. Unfortunately I did not look it up. I SO wish that I had.

The "hotel" is in the middle of a major renovation. Boy, does it ever need it. When I arrived, the entire lobby and entrance was a construction site. They had to take a tarp off the front desk to check me in.

The clerk told me the rooms were being updated, but not yet available, so he put me in one of the un-renovated rooms. I navigated past machinery and mess to get to the elevator and up I went to the second floor.

The hallway was a disaster. There were paint splatters on the doors, dust and particles across the ancient and thinned carpet. The hall smelled moldy. I hoped against hope the room would be better. I was wrong.

When I got to my room, the door, for some reason, was propped open. The room was, quite frankly, shocking. The old tattered carpet was stained, torn, and had specks of wood or sawdust (obviously no vacuum had been used). The cubby for hanging clothes looked like someone had taken a sledge hammer to it. It was busted up in pieces and had a pair of old socks drying on top of the pile. The TV was ancient and the remote broken. There was no desk, but two chairs ... although the stains in them made me think they were from a nursing home.

Wallpaper was torn and/or falling off the walls. The curtains were broken and looked like a kid had hung on them. They were almost half ripped down. The bedding was thin, thread worn, and disgusting. The mattresses were old, stained, and filthy.

The bathroom had not been cleaned and had no linen. There was no safety bar on the door.

Then I figured it out. My friends at corporate had played a trick on me. I started looking for the hidden camera. Finding none, I went to the lobby to get a real room. Unfortunately, it was no joke. What I saw was all I could get.

What about Internet? Not available. Morning breakfast? Nada. In room coffee or hair dryer? Zip. Coffee anywhere in the hotel? Sorry. Shuttle to the airport? Not in this lifetime. Clean linen? Ah, finally a "yes," although the towels looked like they had coffee stains. "Could I get some clean ones?" I asked, pointing to the stains. "Those ARE clean," was the reply.

Since friends had dropped me at the hotel and I had no car, I stayed, but only after inspecting the bed carefully for bed bugs (none found). However, the walls and ceiling are poorly insulated, and the noise from neighboring rooms, the people above me, and the folks having a party down the hall were amplified into my room.

Worse yet, at least as far as trying to get some sleep, was the flies in the room that kept waking me up throughout the night. Since only one light in the room worked, I was defenseless. After a fitful night, I finally got up at 4 am, dressed, and went to the airport (a hundred yards are so) to get the Internet, a badly needed cup of coffee, and modern civilization.

My advice? Do NOT book this place until after the renovation is done and ONLY after you see a number of excellent reviews from other TripAdvisor folks.

Maybe my pain will be your gain. If I could give this place a MINUS 5 STARS, I would.

By the way, I talked with a pastor from Africa the next morning who had also stayed in this same hotel last night. He said, "I've stayed in some terrible hotels across Africa, but I've never stayed in a hotel as bad as this one."

So, now you have the warning of a family physician and a trusted pastor.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled on business