“Nice for the price”

La Quinta Inn & Suites South Bend
Ranked #8 of 30 Hotels in South Bend
Reviewed 16 September 2013

Newly remodeled rooms. Clean, spacious, friendly staff. Indoor pool, and exercise room. Surprised us by having a snack for us in the room. Nice surprise after a long day on the road.
Breakfast just a little better than most offered.

Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business

Reviewed 3 September 2013

We checked in on Friday 8/30/13. There was 2 adults and 2 children, we were in town for the Notre Dame Football game. The hotel staff was friendly and the hotel itself was clean. The only problem was that the next morning there was no hot water for showers. Other then that the hotel was fine and was about 5 miles from the stadium. We would stay here again

Reviewed 31 August 2013

Without wheels and I knew this motel was the closest place to the airport so when I called and got the price I did not even call anywhere else to see who might have had a good price and a shuttle. I just grabbed a sandwich at the airport and walked over. I could not see anyplace within walking distance so it would have been delivery.

WOW … see photo’s (all photo’s are from the same room)

WOW

IMO, this room could meet the standards of every motel I have ever stayed at ... right up to the Hyatt, Hilton and Westin.

I make a lot of comments in my reviews about ‘overpriced’ motels for the working person … no complaints here. Their walk-in rate is less than I paid for a ‘6 the night before and there is NO comparison … other than they both met my basic needs of clean, quiet and temp controlled.

Had to leave an hour before breakfast but it looks like a huge spread from the layout.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 28 August 2013

Nice hotel. The entire place is practically brand new and comparable to staying at a Hampton Inn. Friendly staff overall and a decent price. The hotel is oddly away from the tollway and not easy to get to; however, is located next to the airport for travelers flying in and needing to stay. Overall - great stay and nice price.

Room Tip: If traveling with a pet; recommend the rooms nearest the hallway exits. They have solid wood floori...
Reviewed 18 August 2013

This hotel was very nice. We picked because we had the dogs. The girls at the front desk could not more friendly. We thought the place was very, very clean. The outside area was spotless and the building was bright and welcoming. The pool area looked very inviting. We did not use the pool since we were only there for one night. The beds were awesome and very comfy. I could not be more pleased with this place after reading some bad reviews...but you no how that goes you cannot please everyone no matter what you do.....we would certainly stay again without a doubt....

Room Tip: Room was great if you have dogs....
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with La Quinta
A La Quinta traveler
Apalachin, New York, USA
Reviewed 12 August 2013

Review collected in partnership with La Quinta
Reviewed 5 August 2013

We have come to love staying at La Quinta. We were previously very much Motel 6 folks, but, as those properties have become so run-down over the years we needed to choose another pet friendly chain and this was it for us. Our experiences have been quite good....from super excellent down to good....this experience I cannot decide whether to rate as "average" or poor". I hate to think this is AVERAGE for LQ.....in fact, I refuse to think that, so, I'm going to call this experience "poor".

Our room was FINE! I have zero complaints about our room....period.

The grounds needed attention. There were tall weeds growing in the flower bed areas. It just didn't measure up to what we've come to expect.

Breakfast the first morning....whoops! Are we really at LQ? Surely this muffin, toast, bagel breakfast (yes, thank God, there was a make it yourself waffle offered).....is not LQ?!!!!!! We have always found lots more choices....including (not always all of these...)....sausage patties, bacon, sausage gravy, biscuits, scrambled eggs, fresh strawberries and whipped cream for the waffles and on and on.....we tried to "make do" despite our disappointment....I am diabetic and have always appreciated being able to have meat and eggs for my high protein/low carb needs.

That evening we discovered that the hotel has no vending machines. They have a little room near the front desk with plenty of offerings, but.....here's where it gets tricky! What do you do when the front desk is SO OFTEN left unattended??? My husband made trip after trip before finding a young lady attending the desk who allowed him to purchase something....this was on Saturday evening.

Sunday evening....things were going south quick in the customer service department. My husband made trip after trip after trip after trip to the front desk to try and buy some snacks. On a couple of his trips (he never did find ANYBODY to help him!)....there were actually potential customers waiting at the desk to ask about getting rooms.....as far as we know those folks left without getting a place to stay.....

Monday morning....ok....the breakfast isn't going to be to our liking, but, at least I can have a waffle with peanut butter on it to get me going....OH, NO ! I could NOT. Hubby knocked on the door of the place where we assumed the lady had gone who was supposed to be taking care of the breakfast area and was told (not kindly either) ..."no, we don't have waffles today......" This same girl was there Sunday morning and spent her time on the computer instead of tending to the breakfast area.

We checked out and went to have breakfast elsewhere, but, not before speaking to Anthony at the front desk about our experience. He suggested we let La Quinta corporate know....he could not help us, really. He was friendly enough...but, I think he should have done SOMETHING (admittedly I do not know "what"...).....

We paid $220+ for a 2 night stay.......breakfast should be plentiful and varied and customer service should be top notch! It certainly was not.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple