“This is just a great place”

Staybridge Suites South Bend - University Area
Ranked #11 of 29 Hotels in South Bend
Chicago, Illinois
“This is just a great place”
Reviewed 13 April 2012

I stayed here in January, and I forgot to write a review, so I am a couple months late.

Place is great. I got upgrade to a double suite and I could have stayed here for days, literally. Very new, clean and great staff.

Workout room was GREAT. They also serve beer, wine and snacks Monday-Thursday. Top shelf place, would recommend.

Stayed January 2012, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Beaver Dam, Wisconsin
Reviewed 12 April 2012

Staff was really friendly, helpful and efficient. Room was great. Very clean. Beds comfortable. Cinema room was a nice way to spend time with family. Pool area was smaller but very nice. Only small complaint was hot tub was colder than the pool. Breakfast quality and options were great. We were on top floor so no noise from above. As others have mentioned the elevator is a little slow but really not that bad. It's only four floors so it didn't take that long. We will definitely stay here next time we are in town. Less than 5 minutes to campus.

Room Tip: Two bedroom suites are great for a family.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank BDgolfer
Seattle, WA
Reviewed 22 February 2012

My daughter and I stayed here for touring Notre Dame. Since I was unfamiliar with South Bend, I was unsure of where to stay, and this hotel is not listed on the Notre Dame website - I suspect because the Staybridge is very new. But because of Junior parents weekend other hotels were full. That was lucky for us, because the Staybridge Suites was a treat. The room was very large, with a kitchenette including a full size fridge, dishwasher, and sink. The room was well designed, bed comfortable, and very very clean. I heard no street noise, and the room was quiet at night. It was easy to set the room temperature to a comfortable level for us. Also, it is a short drive to Notre Dame campus, the freeway, and downtown.

Breakfast was a pleasant surprise. There were little extras that aren't usually available at hotel breakfasts. There was a yogurt/cottage cheese on ice area with selections of fresh sliced fruits, eggs and sausage or bacon, french toast, and a make it yourself waffle area. I had oatmeal, but they also had walnuts and raisins out for that.

We used the sparkling clean fitness room, which had new equipment.

I think this hotel is best served for those with a car.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
Bloomington, IL
Reviewed 19 January 2012

The hotel is gorgeous and clean. Staff is respectful. Free breakfast includes hot items, several juices, multiple coffee blends and plenty of seating. The price is right with this place. Maximum 10 minute drive to the University of Notre Dame. We will definitely choose this hotel again.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
Leesburg, Virginia, United States
Reviewed 5 January 2012

Loved loved LOVED staying here. Such a beautiful hotel overall! Our room had a full kitchen which we always prize, flat sceen TV with HDMI hookup (love to watch stuff from our computers rather than ordering movies) big confy beds with extra pillows, all the stuff you would need if staying for a bit- they have bigger rooms with separate bedrooms that are EXCEPTIONAL! If we came into town and stayed for buisiness (longer- like a week or more) we would opt for one of those! The rates are reasonable too. Common areas include indoor pool and jacuzzi, theatre room, great room with fireplace, big tv's expanded breakfast offerings, and tues-thurs they have a community dinner setup which they set up and put on a calendar on your fridge in your room!

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
Richmond Hill
Reviewed 1 December 2011

Hubby & I stayed here the first weekend in November so that we could tour the University of Notre Dame Campus. Short drive to campus & we couldn't have picked a better sunny fall day to do so. Hotel was very clean and seemed new. Staff wsa very friendly and helpful upon late night check-in. Room was very clean, nicely laid out with mini-kitchen (which unfortunately we didn't really get to use) and super-comfy king-size bed with lots of pillows! Room was good size with pull-out sofabed and large tv. Bathroom was good enough size and clean. Hotel had nice layout and very nice open lounge area which was used for the free hot breakfast. Breakfast was usual fair of hot eggs, ham, muffins, bagels & bread for toasting and beverages. Was typical but not quite as good as some of the Holiday Inn Express locations we have stayed at before. Staff was always around and very helpful. Hotel was located close to lots of restaurants and short drive to University Mall, Walmart, & Meijers. Also very close to campus but definitely you had to drive there.
I would definitely recommend to friends and would stay here again next time we visit the area!

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed 6 November 2011

Dates of Stay: 21-23 October 2011 (Friday and Saturday nights)
We stayed the weekend of the Notre Dame-USC football game. Last spring, I decided to book a room for this weekend and saw that I could use points and had 30 days prior to stay to cancel so I knew if I didn’t get the football tickets, I could cancel without penalty. About 60 days before the reservation, I noticed a huge charge on my credit card so I called the hotel directly and asked why they charged my card since I was using points. Cynthia, who was on duty that evening, responded that they didn’t allow points for Notre Dame football weekends. I said that I had a confirmed reservation and would call Holiday Inn and let them know about this since I am a Platinum Priority Club member. She asked me to hold on and returned about 60 seconds later that they would allow me to use points and would credit my charge card which they did in less than 3 days. I understand the demand and realize that they want to overcharge all the football visitors like every other hotel within 10 miles, but I think that there should always be 1 or 2 rooms available for loyal guests just like I believe that airlines should always have a few reward seats available as well. That said, there were no other issues about such.
I called the morning of arrival to reconfirm since I didn’t want to show up to no room. All was ok. We arrived just after check in time and were given a choice of rooms on the first 3 floors but not the top floor-not sure why? The first room was on the first floor facing the main highway and next to the side entrance. I went back to the desk and was given a room on the 3rd floor-room #301. It was a one bedroom suite. I won’t describe the room since there are pictures on their web site. The hotel is new, and everything smelled new and was clean. There was only one minor negative about the hotel. On Saturday morning, I noticed a small info card by the bathroom sink that indicated only light housekeeping if not staying for a full week and none on weekends unless a request was made by a certain time on Friday afternoon. I called the front desk and said we would need towels, some amenities like soap and shampoo, and more coffee. No problem-just stop by the front desk. After breakfast, which was very good for this type of hotel-eggs, sausage on Saturday and bacon on Sunday, juices, coffee, pastries, etc., I walked by the front desk since I knew we would not be back at the hotel until almost midnight since this was the first night home game in 21 years. Cynthia, from my phone call about the charge on the credit card, was working and said that she had put me on the list for light housekeeping. I said great. When we returned about 11:30 pm from the football game, there were no towels, no empty trashcans, etc. I walked to the front desk and was told by a very nice gentleman that my room was not on the list. He apologized and gave me some towels, shampoo, and coffee packets.
We decided to walk to the football game since the weather was nice (high 50’s and clear) and are glad we did. We saved a lot of money that we would have had to pay to park on or near campus. We had driven down Friday night, visited the bookstore, and attended the pep rally so we weren’t going to have to carry much on Saturday. Even though I spent four of the best years of my life at Notre Dame, I don’t think I had ever walked across the forested part of the northwest campus. From the hotel, it’s less than a mile to the path the cuts diagonally across the campus and ends up at the grotto. I was expecting a much longer walk but less than 2 miles in total from hotel to grotto. We wandered around the campus and the many new phases as well as the old traditions. There’s a great development just south of campus with a hotel, shops, lofts, and restaurants. Much improvement has been made in that area since I was a student. There’s a new hockey arena and so much more! If you’re in South Bend and want to visit the Notre Dame campus and the weather is nice, it’s a pleasant walk and only adds to the presentation. Also, there a liquor store about 200 yards south of the hotel to grab something to enjoy after your walk once you return to the hotel. We had wine. I put my computer in the trunk for the day and when we left the hotel with the car as well so I didn’t tempt anyone. I think everything was safe, and the car was fine on Saturday night when we returned after the game. A safe in the room would have been nice, especially for an extended stay hotel like this one advertises to be.
After breakfast and getting all our things together on Sunday, we checked out. The guy was surprised that I had used points and said I was lucky. I said I would try again next spring. They also mentioned a 60 day cancellation window, but my reservation clearly stated 30 days. Either way, I get my football ticket results in early July. I am giving this hotel a 4 because there were the few issues mentioned, especially the lack of maid service for short stays. It could easily be a 5. For good public relations, they and the other Holiday Inn properties should offer a few reward night rooms every night, even football weekends. In summary, the location was good, the staff was mostly great, the breakfast did the job, the room was fantastic, the hotel was safe and clean, and I wouldn’t hesitate staying here again or recommending it. Thanks and Go Irish!

Room Tip: Don't stay on the first floor, especially the front side or by a door
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank BerlinG-ParisF
Ken H, Manager at Staybridge Suites South Bend - University Area, responded to this review, 30 November 2011
I couldn't agree with you more about having rooms available for reward night redemptions and most importantly for Platinum Priority Club members as you're our most valuable and loyal guests! I'm sorry to hear about the mix up with your credit card, that was an error on our part. Please feel free to contact me for any of your future booking needs and rest assure you may use your points as long as we have rooms available in the hotel. Thank you for taking the time to leave such an awesome review about our community and our hotel!! I hope to meet you next football season!

Ken Herman