“Amazing service and excellent amenities”

Staybridge Suites South Bend - University Area
Ranked #9 of 30 Hotels in South Bend
Reviewed 6 July 2014

The facilities in this hotel are great. The rooms on the first floor with separate living rooms are awesome - nice kitchen appliances, high ceilings, very clean! Really cool theater room with a huge TV and luxurious reclining chairs. Feels like your own private movie theater. Also has a good gym, a laundry room, and a grill and patio area outside. Free breakfast is excellent.

More important than the facilities, the service is excellent. My family received incredible service from Loretta Bowes and David Zapata. They went above and beyond in helping us have a fantastic weekend. My mother's birthday was during our stay and we wanted to use the theater room to watch a movie. Earlier in the day, some teenage boys were playing video games in the room and messed up the wiring and broke a remote. David and Loretta contacted maintenance right away but when the tech guy said he was not available, they took matters into their own hands. They switched wires so many times, got batteries for the remote, and would not give up. Loretta even called her husband to help us out. In the end we were able to watch a movie on the big screen and loved it!

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a separate living room on the first floor.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family

Reviewed 29 June 2014

Comfortable, good location, clean and "large" rooms, free wi-fi and reasonable breakfast. I did not interact a lot with the staff, but since I did not have any issues that is a good sign. Good for game watches, conferences, graduations in the South Bend area.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Hgmnz
Reviewed 21 May 2014

I only stayed for one night but it was very nice. The rooms are plenty big and clean. They offer a small evening reception for their guests Monday thru Thursday. They also had a warm breakfast buffet. The breakfast area was small but nice. I did not use the pool or fitness center but they both looked nice.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 21 March 2014

Staff is awesome, they always have my check in pretty much done before I even get there. The rooms are always clean, bed is pretty comfortable. The buffet is pretty good food, for the price tho cant really complain. Fitness center is one of the better ones of the hotels I have stayed at in the area

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 23 February 2014

When i cheaked in i was told since it was late the cost would only be $80.00 for the night. Boy was i dumb. To date they charged me over $300.00. They said i smoked in the room . I dont even smoke. Im alergic to cigarette smoke. Its so bad i have a inhaler for when im around smokers. I would never stay at this dump. Oh and when i cheaked in the people at the front desk had all there kids running around. I think they had four of them. Stay away from this place. I would have been better off going to the motel 6.

• Stayed: February 2014
3  Thank ohboy9615
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Staybridge Suites South Bend - University Area, responded to this reviewResponded 11 March 2014

Dear ohboy9615,

Thank you for your review about your stay. It is truly unfortunate to see that you did not fully enjoy your time at the hotel. We take comments such as these very seriously and would like to follow up with you. We have sent you a private message in effort to obtain more information.

I look forward to hearing back from you very soon.

Dhan M
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed 8 October 2013

We don't normally book an extended stay hotel for a single night on the road, but the university area Staybridge Suites looked like our best option for an overnight stay on our way to Michigan. We were so happy with the hotel, the room, and the breakfast that we later chose to cancel our reservation for a hotel in a different town on the way home in favor of staying again at this hotel. That said, our second stay was not as good as the first, but we would definitely stay again.

The studio rooms are very nice with sitting area and kitchen. We enjoyed being able to cook in the room and watch ballgames on the flat panel T V. As another poster pointed out, the space between the T V cabinet and the bed is a little close, but an average-size person will get by. The couch was comfortable. The room was clean. We liked the split bathroom with the vanity sink outside the tub & toilet room.

Each morning provided very good breakfast choices in the pleasant first-floor breakfast area. The staff was friendly and busy, keeping the food well-supplied. We made waffles with fruit and nuts on top. Eggs, meat, and oatmeal are available as well as fruit, bread, pastries, cold cereals, coffee, and juices.

I wish that I could say that our second stay was as good as the first, but it just wasn't. Since one of us is a light sleeper, we always ask for a quiet room away from the road and elevator. On our first visit, we were given a second-floor room that met this request. However, on our second visit, the desk clerk assigned us to a first-floor room at the back of the hotel next to an outside door. (I think he thought the area would be quiet.) Unfortunately, the back door was used all evening by everyone who wanted to walk their dog or step out for a smoke -- it was very noisy. Another thing that we did not like about the room was that it was more worn than the first night's room, and the housekeeping staff was not as diligent to provide a clean room. All of these factors made us less satisfied with the hotel during our second stay. We would stay here again, but we will certainly be sure to get a room above the first floor away from barking pets and outside doors.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank RetiredTravelerTN
Reviewed 3 October 2013

Dates of Stay: 27-29 September 2013 (Notre Dame-Oklahoma football weekend) in Room 426
We arrived early but were allowed to check-in. I received a much better reception than 23 months ago because my status was recognized and they offered me 2 bottles of water and 2 choices from the food pantry so we chose 2 large candy bars. Last time, when I used points to their surprise for a Notre Dame football weekend when the prior management meant to black out those dates, I believe it only was the usual 15,000 points per night, but now that they’ve programmed the system to accept points for football weekends, they raised it to 35,000 points per night, but since they charge around $500 a night per room, I guess they’re points well spent??? This time I asked why I wasn’t given a choice of a 4th (top) floor room last time, and the guy had no answer since he wasn’t there then plus there is new management, but he said I could stay on any floor in my room category. Another point is that last time I was able to book the 1 bedroom suite for less than half the points but only could book a studio suite this time with points. I was allowed to look at the room first and chose one on the opposite end of the hotel from last time. It was on the back corner so it was quiet except for doors slamming and especially the stairwell door; the hotel needs to do something to prevent this from happening. The room was fine and served its purpose. Unlike last time when I wasn’t aware of the policy until I saw the sign in the bathroom, I requested light cleaning service for Saturday and received fresh towels, a made bed, more amenities, and emptied trash cans. It appeared to be full service-thanks! He said he was going to mention it, and I believe him, but I jumped the gun on that request this time. My only issue with the room was the small divide between the corner of the bed and the tv. It could be a tight fit. Everything was clean, there were ample supplies, but the toilet often required additional flushes. The elevator was slow, but that is so typical in these type hotels. Breakfast was good and much better than that at a Hampton Inn. Saturday's was better with sausage patties, sausage gravy, and biscuits. Sunday there was sliced, sugar ham but no biscuits. Each day, they had the fake scrambled eggs plus many bread choices as well as juice, coffee, tea, etc. I didn’t have any, but they have “make your own” waffles, of course. The tables were cleaned regularly, and the food was constantly being restocked as needed. My only observation was that Sunday’s seemed like something was missing after Saturday’s. Perhaps, they should include biscuits with the ham slices so one could make a ham breakfast sandwich like a sausage sandwich.
I originally planned to give this place a 4 because of the few issues, but they have put over $600 on my credit card for pending charges. I used points and had no ”incidentals”, as they call them. I could see $20 or so a night but not $300 plus for each night. I pay my credit cards in full each month so this didn’t cause me any situations when my credit card wasn’t accepted somewhere else, but if one has a low credit line and doesn’t pay down their balances, this could be an issue that didn’t need to happen! I waited to make sure no charges actually posted before submitting this review. Had one or more charges posted, this review would have been even lower.
Please see my prior review in case there are any references to my prior stay that aren’t clear. There is still the potential here for a high 4, low 5 rating, if special touches are included and missteps are avoided. It’s a Staybridge Inn so a top rating would be almost impossible to achieve, but it serves the purpose intended.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank BerlinG-ParisF
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Staybridge Suites South Bend - University Area, responded to this reviewResponded 23 October 2013

Dear DisneyParis,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review about our property. It is always our goal to provide convenient and world class service to our guest. We apologize we were not able to exceed your expectations during your stay. Please be assured that these will be looked into so our team can take actions accordingly.

Thank you again for your feedback and we hope to welcome you again soon.

Karen C