“Nice park”

14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 24 helpful votes
“Nice park”
Reviewed 29 July 2013

Kayak course used for training and for pleasure by many. I don't kayak but do enjoy bicycling the East Race Trail. The trail runs between South Bend and Mishawaka, much of it along the river.
Set back and relax watching the kayak competitions or enjoy a concert at Seitz Park.

Visited June 2013
1 Thank J C

13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 37 helpful votes
“Definitely worth a try (or 2)!”
Reviewed 30 June 2013 via mobile

I am a 31-year old, fairly athletic girl who had never white-water rafted. I went with my 26-year-old, also fairly athletic, female friend. We underestimated our ability to stay in the boat! The lifeguard said about 40% of people fall out, and I think that's probably about right. We fell out twice! But we never felt like we were in danger--more like embarrassed! I will definitely go again--now I'm more determined than ever to make it all the way IN the boat!!!

Visited June 2013
1 Thank Moldog81
alma, mi
20 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 21 helpful votes
“hidden treasure”
Reviewed 5 June 2013

This was so much fun, wish they had more hours and were open longer but its $5 for one trip and a great family, or friend adventure, short fun and sweet. Wish I had known about this sooner, I'm waiting until they open !!

Fort Wayne, Indiana
34 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 88 helpful votes
“White water rafting in South Bend, IN?”
Reviewed 15 May 2013

Who would have thunk it? But, after reading about it on this site, my husband and I decided to drive over and take a look since we moved to Indiana from Colorado where we had indeed white water rafted.

The official time frame that includes renting a kayak or a raft right at the pier is June-August so it wasn't "open for business" yet. However, on this 42 degree day, there were some brave souls with their own kayaks in their wetsuits kayaking! BRRRR

They have diverted part of the St. Joseph River at this point and there are buoys of some type to create a small, calm, get started area. You put in off a dock here, get your bearings and then head towards the "rapids" which catapult you on your adventure. There are several boulders on the sides and in the middle that you must steer clear of but which add to the cascading of the waters.

We stood on a bridge over the water to see how they were going to fare and they did well. We could tell they were experienced because they were able to pull over to the side and wait up for their friends and at times, to even hold their own in the middle, going against the strong current.

There is a walkway on each side of this diversion so that people can watch and stroll and so that you can carry your boat back to the dock and do this all over again which you will probably want to do since the course is less than half a mile. Kind of reminds me of sledding in that way.

Wish I had taken some photos to share.

It might be worth a try for only $5 a pop for rafting if you've never done this kind of thing before. Ingenious, I say!

Visited May 2013
2 Thank tgsauder
South Bend, Indiana, United States
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“A unique urban recreational area”
Reviewed 27 November 2012

A nice walkway borders the East Race and the St. Joseph river. In the summer you can white water raft, or watch kayak races on this man-made waterway. And visitors are within walking distance of some pretty darn good restaurants.

Visited August 2012