“lovely surroundings, good food, slow service”

Tippecanoe Place Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Tippecanoe Place Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #6 of 299 Restaurants in South Bend
Price range: US$12 - US$34
Cuisines: American
Good for: Groups, Business meetings, Romantic, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, After-hours, Reservations
“lovely surroundings, good food, slow service”
Reviewed 15 April 2014

I have eaten here many times. It is a wonderful historic location, and they let you wander around to see it. Food is good, and price is reasonable for the meal. But service is often very, very slow, so be sure that you have enough time budgeted.

• Visited December 2013

Indianapolis, Indiana, United States
“At least the house is still beautiful...”
Reviewed 31 March 2014

I have been to Tippecanoe Place several times over the years, and there is still nowhere else in South Bend that you can have a meal in such impressive surroundings. I have heard that the quality of the food has declined over the past few years, but I was hoping that we would be in for a surprise. Unfortunately our dinner did not live up to expectations.

I noticed that there was a review that mentioned that their server never smiled, and we experienced the same thing. She wasn't necessarily unfriendly, but she sure didn't go out of her way to make us feel welcome. We also ended up waiting for things like our drinks, rolls, dinner... just long enough to annoy me.

As far as the food was concerned, we all started with the spinach salad which we all agreed was excellent. My wife and father had the prime rib, which they found alright but nothing special. I tried a bite, and it seemed to be kind of dry. They both had the garlic mashed potatoes with it, and both of them agreed that it needed more garlic. I had the duck, and it was quite good. I just wish that they would have used a little more of the raspberry/cherry sauce on it. The duck was served with a basil risotto, which was not that great. The rice was overcooked which left the dish bland and lifeless.

My daughter ordered the mini-cheeseburgers and fries from the kid's menu, and she said that the cheeseburgers were dry. When her food arrived they substituted potato chips because they were out of fries... Now, our waitress did not inform us of this nor did she ask if we wanted to substitute it with something else. We had to stop our waitress and ask to get a baked potato as a substitute since my daughter is not a fan of potato chips.

The one saving grace to our dining experience was dessert. We each had a different dessert, and they were all excellent. I highly recommend the Frangelico mousse.

The Studebaker mansion remains impressive, but they really need to go back to work on the fundamentals (i.e. good food and service) and not rest on their laurels.

• Visited March 2014
1 Thank John B
South Bend, Indiana
“Poor attitude by server”
Reviewed 24 March 2014 via mobile

Very good food poor service but Guy never smiled nothing price was great. I would definitely go back just hopefully the next time we do go back we have a different server

• Visited February 2014
South Bend Indiana
“Lunch”
Reviewed 15 March 2014

My husband and I ate lunch last Wednesday, March12 - it was absolutely terrible!! The waiters need a lot more training, no direction, running over each other. My husband ordered a bloody Mary, when waiter brought it to the table it was over flowing and napkin was soaked, my husband had to ask for another napkin and to clean the glass. I ordered spinach salad (love it) the spinach was very old and wilted. We both ordered the Tippecanoe prime rib sandwich with fries. My husband received fries and I didn't, when the plates came to our table the au jus was spilled all over the plate (poor dill pickle). We have been to Tippecanoe many, many times and enjoyed great lunches, brunches and dinners. We WILL NOT BE RETURNING. Sherry, they will really miss you and we also,.

• Visited March 2014
1 Thank Louc73
Tippe1889, Manager at Tippecanoe Place Restaurant, responded to this review, 18 March 2014
First and foremost I would like to apologize for your dining experience. Thank you for your comments and we at Tippecanoe Place would like to reach out to you to make amends for your poor experience. Please contact us at your convenience so you can enjoy another one of the positive experiences that you have had over the years here at Tippecanoe Place. Thank you for your time and we look forward to being in touch with you.
Kevin Jakel - Manager
South Bend, Indiana
“great food and atmosphere...”
Reviewed 5 March 2014

We had a great dinner not too long ago... great staff, excellent food and wine. Tried some different appetizers and thoroughly enjoyed the entrees.

• Visited February 2014