“Just...horrible”

East Bank Emporium Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
East Bank Emporium Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #32 of 297 Restaurants in South Bend
Cross street: Niles & Jefferson
Lakeville, Indiana
“Just...horrible”
Reviewed 19 May 2014

We got a coupon for this restaurant, and it didn't come close to making it worth it. When we went in(probably around 4 or 5 o'clock) and the place was barren except a few people at the bar, bad sign, but I like privacy so, it was ok with me. Looking at the menu and the prices, I had certain expectations, which were squashed as soon as the appetizers came out. We got fried calamari and crab cakes. I believe it was $8 for the crab cakes appetizer...which was 2 crab cakes. I am no chef admittedly, but I have made salmon patties at home that tasted more like crab cakes, and the calamari was in the shape of fish sticks(and tasted a little too similar to them)...which I have never seen before. The entrees were just, a mess. There was no redeeming factors to this place for me. I have literally NEVER been upset with food, this was just...the worst restaurant I have ever eaten at, no competition.

Visited September 2013

Dartmouth, MA
“Lovely location, service with a smile, food gets mixed reviews”
Reviewed 17 May 2014

My husband and I dined here on a recent visit to South Bend. We like the descriptions of the great location on the river and the interesting old building in which restaurant is located, and the location lived up to our expectations. Unfortunately we couldn't see the river from our table because they had to keep the blinds down because of the setting sun, but we did walk around the park before and after dinner. Our waitress was wonderful, friendly, helpful, and embarrassed at the multiple food and beverage problems we encountered. We ordered a bottle of wine, and clearly that is not a common activity here. They were out of the first FOUR bottles of wine we chose from the list. So, they have a wine list but not necessarily the actual wine. The waitress made the bartender go over to our table to apologize and offer us a bottle he actually had in stock and give it to us at the same price as the house wine. He was very gracious in his apology and his offer. My husband and I both ordered the filet mignon. The restaurant sells topping and sauces for an extra charge, so I do expect them to get it right. My husband ordered the blue cheese topping and I ordered the béarnaise sauce on the side. Both steaks arrived with the blue cheese on top. The waitress took my plate away and returned shortly with another steak (and yes, it was another steak not just the old one with the cheese scraped off). They poured the sauce on my steak instead of putting it on the side. I didn't sent it back because it wasn't a big deal, but the waitress was so embarrassed at the ongoing problems. That said, the steak was delicious and perfectly cooked, and so were the side items on the plate. There were a number of large groups in the restaurant so it appears to be a place to go for a special occasion. The menu isn't fancy, and it has a range of entrees like our steak down to sandwiches and salads. It is a really great location, and I'd go there again on a future trip and hope that the management has sorted out its wine selection and kitchen prep problems. I'd ask for the same waitress again just because she worked really hard to make our evening as nice as possible.

• Visited May 2014
2 Thank 65Wagonaire
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Disappointing Mother's Day”
Reviewed 12 May 2014

We have dined at the Emporium many times over the years so felt like we were making a good choice when deciding where to take my Mom for Mother's Day. Unfortunately, all that was offered was a limited menu. 3 at the table ordered the grilled pork tenderloin which turned out to be a rather large chunk of meat with very little flavor. It was served with a small side of mashed potatoes and 2 asparagus spears. The 4th person at the table ordered vegetable lasagna which was supposed to be made with roasted vegetables but it was not. All in all it was a substandard meal that I was embarrassed to have invited my mother to.

• Visited May 2014
1 Thank twingram76
Goshen, Indiana
“Great place for a small gathering”
Reviewed 13 April 2014

We had a group of 26 people and they were so accommodating. We were celebrating a couples 25th anniversary. When we arrived they had the tables arranged great and they even provided a cake/present table without us even requesting it. We had two dedicated waitresses that were wonderful.

They are going to be replacing the carpet with hard wood floors which will add to the great atmosphere.

• Visited April 2014
Mishawaka
“Our SPECIAL place for a great dinner”
Reviewed 7 March 2014

We do not go to the Emporium real often, but is the place I take my wife for her birthday, wedding anniversary, and real special occasions. The atmosphere here along the river and the evening view across the river makes a quiet place to dine with great food and pleasant surroundings. This definitely is NOT a Chain Restaurant atmosphere, and while it is locally owned and operated it is MORE than just a Mom and Pop restaurant. The Emporium is noted for its great food and service. The menu is filled with great steaks and seafood selections that are way above average in quality and taste and the pricing is very reasonable for the quality and service received. This is one of the few 'top notch' quality dining locations in South Bend for the average person. You need to experience dining at the Emporium.

Visited June 2013