“Lunch”

Elia's Mediterranean Cuisine
Ranked #34 of 294 Restaurants in South Bend
Good for: Child-friendly, Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings
Description: We are a family owned and operated establishment, located at our new location on 2128 South Bend Ave, across the street from Martin's, near the corner of SR23 and Ironwood.We strive to provide a warm and friendly atmosphere with traditional Mediterranean cuisine with many meat and vegetarian menu options. If you want a unique, warm, and tasteful dining experience, Elia’s is the pace to be.
“Lunch”
Reviewed 26 July 2014 via mobile

First visit - friendly, attentive waitress, Katy, and food was fresh and good. Will definitely return

Adrian, Michigan
1,301 restaurant reviews
“Pretty Good Middle Eastern”
Reviewed 11 July 2014

This is a spot to get some pretty decent Middle Eastern fare though it was rated a little more highly on TripAdvisor than my experience would suggest. When I arrived into South Bend by train from Chicago, this place caught my eye as I looked through TripAdvisor. Middle Eastern food sounded good and it looked as though the reviews were fairly positive.

The location was a little out of the way as, while it was on a main road, it was off the beaten path a bit for people traveling in, out and through South Bend. The storefront was interesting as I was not quite sure I liked the looks or not. It looked diminutive and was a little out of date without any vintage appeal. However, the interior was much more spacious than the exterior suggested and the décor was actually very nice offering a very relaxing atmosphere. The clientele appeared mixed in age range and I had the impression I would have seen a little more of the college crowd had it not been July.

The best part of my visit was probably my server Kate, who was very friendly and engaging and showed a genuine and pleasant demeanor that was quite endearing. She provided excellent service during my entire visit.

I started with the lentil soup. While the portion was a little more than I wanted, I would have to say that this was the best part of the meal. It had a good, rich taste. I added a little pepper to give it some kick and it turned out to be very good. However, for my main, I wanted to stay low-carb and tried the shish kabob. I was a bit disappointed as the best part of the kabob was the onions. The meat was very bland and I had to ask for some tzatziki sauce to give it some flavor. I will say, however, that they were very generous with the rice. The two kabobs were completely surrounded by grains.

The prices were fairly reasonable but, when the food is disappointing, it makes it hard to call it a good value. When it all comes down to it, I suppose it is the kabob that causes me to give this place an "average" rather than a "very good" because all other aspects of the experience were definitely at the latter level (and at an "excellent" for the service). The soup was a relative bargain at less than $4 and it would have been better for me to stick with that. It certainly was more filling than I anticipated. I also would think that another more creative dish might have been better because I was completely reliant on the taste of the meat with what I got.

All of that being said, I might try this place again should the opportunity present itself. It would be fair to give another dish a try to see if I just ordered the wrong thing. But for now, I can only give it an "average".

• Visited July 2014
Northern Indiana
“Great place”
Reviewed 30 March 2014

We eat here a lot, primarily lunch. I'm a fussy eater (don't use menus unless necessary) and they put together what I want. I like the kafta, chicken, and lentils with a side of garlic paste or hummus. We really like the food and the service is very good. The place is authentic. Worth a visit.

• Visited March 2014
Notre Dame, Indiana, United States
“Good value”
Reviewed 7 January 2014

I'm not a huge Mediterranean food fan but there's little not to like about Elia's. They have good prices and good portions of food.

Visited April 2013
Indiana
“I don't get the Hype, the food, or the $$$!”
Reviewed 6 September 2013

Friday night dinner with the wife. Had read on TA that Elia's was the spot for Mediterranean cuisine in South Bend.
Well the Hummus was good but the Pita was store bought and not the best pita that I have had from stores we shop at. Meat filled grape leaves were very good. From there the dinner went downhill. The wife had a Gyro, which shouldn't be hard to screw up, but this place seemed to screw it up in spades. First off, the Gyro meat was not fresh but the pre-sliced frozen kind that you get then throw it on a skillet to heat up (YUCK). Gyro also came with a sad little pita that was different than that served with hummus, but also store bought and not of great quality. Also her Gyro came with a Greek salad that other than pickled onions and some Feta was hardly Greek, maybe some good olives instead of the pimento greenies would have been a better choice.
Had read that the Beef Shwarma was good so I ordered that. First off, I've had shwarma of all kinds Chicken, shrimp, and yes beef. This was so far from anything that I have had called shwarma that I thought maybe they got it wrong from the kitchen. It was stewed beef meat with onions and tomatoes. And I have never had shwarma that resembled stew in all my life. Maybe they do it different in Palestine? And even though it was stewed, the beef was dry and mealy.
Didn't finish it, the wife didn't finish hers. We left after paying the bill which was ridiculous considering the poor food quality. Will never go back, EVER!

• Visited September 2013