“A nice, cozy place to stay” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Innisfree-a-Celtic-Bed-and-Breakfast

Innisfree-a-Celtic-Bed-and-Breakfast
Ranked #2 of 6 South Bend B&B and Inns
Pittsburgh
“A nice, cozy place to stay”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 May 2013

My girlfriend and I stayed at the Innisfree while visiting for my niece's wedding, and all in all found it to be a very comfortable experience. We arrived later on a Friday night, but we had easily arranged with the owner Cindy for the late arrival, and she had given us the code for the keypad door in advance.

First impressions as we drove into the neighborhood was a bit of wariness, as there is an apartment building close by, and we were concerned about noise levels over the holiday weekend. but there was plenty of off-street parking, and we easily entered the B&B and got to our room to settle in. And the house itself was very stately and beautiful. We stayed in the Michael Collins room with it's adjoining bathroom, and were very happy with the selection. The bed is what I would consider a large double or small queen, but was comfortable for two, and we both slept well each night. Luckily, the apartments nearby were no issue at all, and we did not hear any noises during the night to tarnish our stay. About the only issue we had the first night was the cold snap that was going through and dropping temperatures outside, and it got a bit nippy in the room. We were not aware of the in-room heaters that are provided, but found a very comfortable blanket to slip on the bed, and slept very warmly the rest of the night.

The house is a historical landmark, and you can tell from the woodwork and the general layout that the house is quite old, but in wonderful condition. And as we learned later, has a very interesting history. The décor is decidedly Irish/celtic, and as another review has mentioned, does have a lot of religious knick-knacks. But there are also lots of nostalgic/historic photos and other items, and plenty of books to just pick up and start reading if an idle minute appears. We both noticed that the house was quite peaceful and quiet, especially when we were in our room. In fact, we were pleasantly surprised the first morning when we opened the door to our room to head down for breakfast, and only then realized/knew that there was music playing in the first floor sitting room, and the innkeeper was talking to the other guests. Needless to say, we decided that the house, although old, was very well insulated, and again, we never were bothered during our stay by noise or commotion.

The innkeeper Cindy was wonderful, and we truly enjoyed talking to her, and learning the history of the house and how it was moved and then transformed into the inn, and of how she had come to possess and run the bed & breakfast. We thought the breakfasts were wonderful. Both days started with a large communal bowl of sliced fruit to spoon our individual helpings from, and then Cindy brought out the main breakfasts after a short wait. Both days were delicious, with a wonderful egg-based casserole the first morning, and delicious French toast, with the twist of cream cheese filling, on our second morning. Cindy sat down with us each day, and the conversation and interplay was very friendly and enjoyable.

We highly recommend this B&B for those looking for a pleasant, quiet and enjoyable stay while visiting South Bend.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Cycling_Man2009

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 April 2013

I checked out of Innisfree this morning after a 1 night stay. It had some pros and cons - though really, which places don't? - but the former certainly outweigh the latter, and I would absolutely recommend this place to anyone spending the night (or a few) in South Bend. I'll take you through my experience as briefly as I can (which probably won't be very briefly):

-Pro: PLENTY of parking. Seems like a very safe neighborhood. Very nice looking house. Awesome front door keypad which makes getting in and out very easy and safe. Ramp along the house to the parking area so you can wheel luggage easily.

-Pro: Beautiful interior. Granted, overly decorated as most homey B&Bs tend to be, but tons of common spaces and plenty of snacks in the kitchen and two dining areas to be enjoyed. Coffee (flavors!) whenever you want it, cereal, bottled water, yogurts/applesauce in the fridge, granola bars, cookies, and bowls of hershey's kisses littered throughout upstairs and down.

-I won't call this a con, but there are a gazillion crosses and signs about god all over the place. You're in Indiana, so what else would you expect? I can easily ignore that stuff, but for someone who can't, it's something of which to be aware. Another thing of which to be aware is that you're very close to train tracks, so if you're a light sleeper you might get awoken by train horns, but it was no problem for me.

-Pro: The rooms are adorable. I stayed in the Seamus room which is perfect for one person (but no more than that). It's pretty small, but it had private bath facilities as not all the rooms do. It's kind of cool in that the toilet/shower are in a nook around the corner from your bed, but very much in the room with no door, and the sink/mirror are further around the corner by the door to your room. Something to note, but I found it very charming.

-Con: The seamus room could seriously use a small desk, or at least more table/counter space. Maybe a nightstand on both sides of the bed?

-Pro: Definitely warm enough, but a little space heater included that worked really well for the colder moments. Shower water got as hot as you would want, and the water pressure was perfect.

-Pro: Lots of cute little body products littered around for your enjoyment. Plenty of towels. Very nice bathrobe included for your use. Bed was super comfortable - I wanted to steal the pillows!

-Con: Probably the biggest con of the experience, the internet really doesn't work very well. It will work well enough if you need to check one thing here and there, but if you're trying to multi-task and/or get a lot of work done, you may have difficulty. It seemed to go in and out quite often, and certainly would not hold up to streaming video.

-Pro: super friendly staff. Very quiet, peaceful atmosphere.

-Con: I feel bad calling this a con because it's clearly a small, very personally run establishment, but I was told breakfast was at 9am and it didn't seem like that was particularly flexible. I mentioned that I usually run at 9/9:30am and could I have breakfast more like 10am or 10:15, and she reluctantly agreed, but I both felt bad about it and also was unsure as to whether that would really happen. She mentioned she wouldn't be there the next day but her assistant would be, and she would pass along the message. Sadly she didn't, and so the assistant the next day wasn't actually sure if I was coming down for breakfast. Luckily when I showed at 10am she had put aside a plate and microwaved the sausage/egg casserole for me. It was tasty, the fresh cut fruit was nice, and the banana bread was super awesome.

-I didn't really "check out" with anyone - assistant was upstairs cleaning rooms, so I just left my key on the kitchen table and headed out.

-Pro: The cost is super low for what you get. I definitely recommend it!

Room Tip: The Seamus room is perfect for a solo traveler, and has private bath facilities!
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank scthe2aces
Schaumburg, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 March 2013

From the moment we arrived, my friends and I felt comfortable and knew we had chosen the perfect Bed & Breakfast. First of all the innkeeper was friendly and made us feel right at home. She provided a delicious breakfast, including a variety of fresh homemade breakfast goodies. Throughout the day and evening, coffee and teas were available. Additionally, the Irish theme resonated throughout the inn, creating a wonderful ambiance. The rooms were comfortable, extremely clean and decorated with an Irish antique flavor. The innkeeper had many suggestions regarding the places of interest in and around the neighboring area. Innisfree was a wonderful place for our girls get-a-way weekend.

Room Tip: The king sized suite is exceptional!
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
Ridgefield, CT
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 July 2012

We were visiting South Bend for some ancestry research at the library and to visit some family graves. Innisfree was a perfect location for us! It was right off the thruway and in the downtown area; not far from Notre Dame or the library. The owner was extremely cordial and welcoming, and the inn was clean and lovingly maintained. The room we stayed in had its' own bath and was very comfortable and roomy. There were two sitting rooms, a dining room and kitchenette area with access to tea, coffee and snacks. Breakfast was simple but fine for us. There was parking available on site. I would definitely stay here again if I return to south Bend!

Room Tip: Some rooms share a bathroom in the hall. If you want more privacy; I would request a room with a bat...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank larkenRidgefield_CT
MENTOR
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 March 2012

We came to South Bend for a dance on Saturday. Cindy was very accommodating of our late arrival Friday night. Our rooms were ready and we were able to relax in the parlor before turning in for the night.
Cindy greeted us warmly in the morning, with hot coffee and a great breakfast.
We had a great time and would gladly stay again.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
Copenhagen, Denmark
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2011

My husband and I stayed at this B&B for one night in July ('11). While the house is beautiful and somewhat nicely decorated, there were several things that weren't satisfactory. First, the woman working there was not the friendliest of all people. Second, the dog pooped on the rug in our bathroom and we found it. It didn't add to the calmness normally associated with B&Bs. Third, the air conditioning was too high and we were freezing. However, they did turn down the air conditioning a bit after we asked, which was nice. Then the breakfast wasn't anything extraordinary. It was descent- with fruit, cereal, some sausages and baked things, but we weren't overly impressed. There was a small dog which was very cute, but if you don't like pets it is perhaps not the best place for you!

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Fort Wayne, IN
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 April 2011

My family and I have been going to Innisfree since 2007. The first time we went was for Christmas, shortly after my father died. Naturally we were all pretty unhappy and wanted to get away from my parent's house and all the memories, which were too fresh and painful. We couldn't have found a more perfect place. The Inn is beautiful with many lovely touches, yet it still retains the feel of a home that is lived in and loved. Cindy, the Innkeeper was so kind and generous--she helped make what was a terribly sad time more bearable.

My mother died shortly after that Christmas visit but we have been going back to Innisfree ever since. We enjoy going to B&B's and have gone to many in the Indiana/Michigan/Ohio/Illinois area but Innisfree calls us back at least once a year. I think at this point that we've stayed in all of the rooms. The Collins room is a large, attractive comfortable room with a wonderful bathroom, complete with clawfoot tub and every type of shampoo, bubble bath, conditioner---anything a person who likes to spend some time soaking could ask for! (That would be me, with book, bubbles and bubbly!)

On the third floor is a huge suite with a wonderful big bed, two twin beds and a day bed. It's a great place for a family or group of friends to hang out, visit, play games, whatever. As an added bonus, it has a great jacuzzi and shower for your bathing pleasure.

The beds are all comfortable, the house is immaculate, I just really can't say enough about what a relaxing, peaceful experience staying at Innisfree is. South Bend is a fun town to walk around , there's a great tavern called the Fiddler's Hearth that is within easy walking distance and the food and drink is excellent--what more could anyone want?

Cindy makes great breakfasts and will cater to your food desires, there's always ice and drinks available, the common areas are anything but common and Cindy makes you feel as if you were at your own home, only you don't have to cook or clean. She's there if you need her and if you don't feel like talking, she's perfectly attuned to your mood.

I've put some pictures up, some are from the very first visit and some from other times. I didn't take any pictures this last visit because I wasn't feeling well. Cindy was kind enough to let my son and I stay past checkout due to my ill health, again, that caring, thoughtfulness that makes Innisfree such a happy place to visit. I know I sound besotted but it really is a wonderful B&B and I can't wait until I have an excuse to go there again. You seldom have to ask for anything because whatever you need is right at your fingertips.

We seem to go there in the winter most often so I don't have very many good pictures of the outside of the home. It was freshly painted this last time and looked wonderful, I wish I'd taken a couple of pictures but the day was gray and rainy and didn't really set it off properly.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled with family