“excellent in its class”

Yellow Springs, OH
“excellent in its class”
Reviewed 5 January 2013

Easy to find.
This is a well run hotel. We interacted with three front desk people and all were responsive and knowledgeable. The lobby and rooms are clean. All room facilities were in good working order. Breakfast fully stocked, on time, with a smile.
comfy bed though listed as a queen and that's a joke. Quiet.
Cleaning staff left the room OCD tidy. My compliments.
one con that is not unique to this hotel, right now their parking lot was an ice rink.

• Stayed January 2013
1 Thank desharri

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Barrow, Alaska
Reviewed 18 November 2012

I stayed here due to late planning for a football game. Inflated prices for game day that do not cover amenities. free breakfast closes way too early so I didn't even see it. typical Choice brand hotel with prison like atmosphere and poor attempts at making rooms ornate. they clearly never do a proper "deep clean" once a month. Heating was either way too cold or warm...never could get temp right with the thermostat.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with friends
Riya P, Guest Relations Manager at Sleep Inn South Bend, responded to this review, 4 January 2013
Dear FuzziB, I am very sorry that your experience at Sleep Inn, South Bend during ND home game weekend was not very pleasant. We will take your comments under consideration as we work to improve our guest experience. We hope we can have another chance to show you what our warm Hospitality is all about here at Sleep Inn hotel, if your travels bring you back to the area...
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 5 November 2012

I called to ask if we had a king or queen beds (I had prepaid for my hotel room through hotels.com), when they stated I had a king bed, I asked about switching to two queens, when they stated the hotel was sold out for the Notre Dame game we were going to, I said okay thanks, good bye. On our way to South Bend from Chicago that morning, I called to ask if our room was ready for early check in, they said no, but asked for my name, when I gave it to them, the manager explained that there was a $50 charge and that unless I paid it, they would cancel my reservation. They changed my room to two queens, which I did not request, I just asked about availability. The manager threatened to cancel my room several times, I told them we wanted the room and not to cancel it (we had just flown in from Georgia). We showed up at the hotel to check in and sign paperwork so that they manager didn't give the room away as he had threatened several times. Not only did they charge my credit card $50, but there were several other transactions, that were placed on my card, I disputed those with the credit card company and they were removed. These people are scammers trying to take money, hotel-goer beware!!!

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Melissa S
Dear Worldtraveller88888, I want to apologize for the unfortunate experience that you had at our hotel.Due to 3rd party booking (hotels.com) we do not have your contact information.Contacting hotel after booking does help you as well hotel especially during ND home games when hotels are booked 100%. Hotel can not make last minute changes to the room types reserved. I am very sorry to hear that your request to switch the room type was not honored. Please contact me directly so we can discuss further. I look forward to speaking with you.
Merced, California
Reviewed 25 October 2012

We callled the day before we flew and confirmed that we wodul be arriving late in the
evening & asked about the complimentary airport transportation. They said if they knew ahead, they would arrange for a cab to pick us up if it was "after hours" (not really sure what that meant). We arrived on time about 11:20 pm and called the facility and they said they would be there "in a minute or so" . the hotel is only about 1.5 miles from SBN. Outside we waited & waited & waited; finally my husband using a walker,handicapped with Parkinson's 'Disease went back across the street & into the baggage clain area to call again, same answer- this hapended a second time! There was a police office who came by and saw us and asked what we needed. He got a cab for us and we were at the Sleep Inn in a couple of minutes. The desk clerk, male, made all kinds of excuses for the delays and was very unsympathetic, sadi all thei was explained on the internet about their mnot havign complimentary servie "after hours"

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends
IN264, Director of Sales at Sleep Inn South Bend, responded to this review, 7 November 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay with us at our hotel. We really appreciate your feedback and are very sorry for the delay for pick up by cab company. After 10pm, we schedule a taxi for guest pick up. We request the cab dispatch to let the driver know to pick up our guest at schedule time. I am very sorry to learn that you had to wait for 20 minutes. In future, please contact me when you make a reservation online so we can send our Shuttle. We will take your comments under consideration as we work to improve our guest experience.
Adrian, Michigan
Reviewed 23 October 2012

We needed a place to stay near US 31 in South Bend and I recalled that there were two or three hotels near the airport. We stopped at the Sleep Inn and were able to get a room for three for less than $90 USD. The outside of the building was very well kept and the small lobby provided a nice envronment for first impressions. After being quickly checked in (greatly appreciated as it was 2:30 AM), we made our way to the room to find very spacious quarters. The unit was very clean and the amenities all seemed to be in good working order. The beds were very comfortable. The morning breakfast was adequate though nothing spectacular. The check out process was very efficient. In all, if you just need an economical place to stay without many frills, this place is a great value.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Debbie K
Portugal
Reviewed 14 September 2012

I stayed at this hotel for some 10 nights. In general I really dislike the breakfast served at this kind of motels/hotels, but I had to say that even though repetitive, it had a fairly good quality and value. Nothing splurge, just simple and tasty things and with fruit being served – something rare in America.

The hotel room was fairly large and the bathroom had a very decent size. The internet was very fast and this is something that really pleased me during my stay over there.

The hotel is far away from the city centre and there's nothing around apart from the airport. If you're looking for action in South Bend – is there some, really? – then this isn't the place for you. A 5 min car ride will get you to the city centre.

Something that really pleased me was the fact that you could open your room’s window and let the room aerate during the day. This is one of those amazing and unlikely findings in America, and a huge surplus – I hate using A/C to “aerate” my room.

There was a kind of internal swimming pool next to the reception, but where everybody could look at you, so it can be kind of spooky for some people. I can’t remember seeing no one swimming there.

The personnel of the hotel was nice and the room cleaning as well. You'll have all the amenities that you will expect to find in a decent 3 stars’ hotel. Great value for the money!

• Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Nuno_the_Curious
Oceanside, California
Reviewed 19 August 2012

In town for a college orientation weekend we struggled to find a hotel on too short of notice (oiur fault), But we did track down the Sleep Inn and the accommodations were outstanding although we were quite a bit off the beaten path. Using our GPS directions from the Notre Dame campus took us through some very rough neighborhoods but with local directions we were able to drive back to the location along a major thoroughfare.

The hotel itself deserved a 5-star star rating for it's offerings and accommodations. A king bed room with a pull out sofa also including a flat screen 42" TV, refrigerator and microwave - in some places they might call this a mini-suite. It was great for our needs and appeared new both inside and outside. Nice work area and large bathroom met our needs.

Because of the location it would not be a future first choice for us - but the accommodations are deserving of a high rating.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family