“Great service and location, nest to St Marys and a walk to ND campus”

Hilton Garden Inn South Bend
Ranked #3 of 30 Hotels in South Bend
Reviewed 8 September 2011

We were in town for the USF-Notre Dame game. The hotel was very nice and clean. The rooms had a fridge and microwave, which was also nice. The bed was a little firm. It was an adjustable bed, that I do not think adjusts anymore. The hotel had a gym, which I used once. It was basic, but worked well. The hotel has an indoor pool and hot tub. There is also a bar, with a bunch of tv's. There is a restaurant, which has a great breakfast buffet for only $9. For dinner, they had a special each night. The location was great, we were a solid, but nice, walk to the Notre Dame campus. There is a paved and lighted walkway between St Marys and the ND campus, which was used a great deal by many over the weekend. No charge for parking. A few kudos to some people who provided great service...Cat at the front desk was awesome. She was very helpful each time we had a question. She made a point to say hi every time we came back to the hotel. Christina at the front desk was also great. In the restaurant, Dawn and Casey did a great job for us. We actually only have great things to say about this hotel and the people that work there. It is well worth staying here.

Room Tip: All rooms were the same
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank TravelingFamily00

Reviewed 9 August 2011

I was in town for a quick work meeting and the Hilton Garden Inn was recommended to me. My stay was nice, the room was clean, the lobby was clean and the staff was really nice.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank MinnesotaDRock
HGISouthBend, Director of Sales at Hilton Garden Inn South Bend, responded to this reviewResponded 10 August 2011

Minnesota,

We are pleased you had an enjoyable stay! We pride ourselves on having comfortable clean surroundings for our guests. Next time your business travels bring you back to South Bend I hope we will be your hotel of choice!

Reviewed 1 August 2011

Stayed in a junior suite to attend a wedding at the basilica at Notre Dame and reception back at the hotel. We are Hilton honors diamond members and have stayed at many Hilton Garden Inn properties....this was one of the best experiences that we have had.

The rooms are large and clean. The beds are firm and extremely comfortable. Breakfast was fine with made to order omelets and wonderful fresh fruit.

The one thing that stood out, though, was the excellent customer service provided by the staff. Kudos to Matt S.! When I called from the fitness room to ask about headsets to use while on the treadmill, he was there in 30 seconds with a basket full of headsets. When I
realized that we had forgotten a wedding card for our wedding gift, Matt had one available at the front desk for me to use. We were already running late to the reception, so he saved us a trip to find a card....and we got to the recetion on time.

So often, the hospitality industry is not all that hospitable. What a pleasant surprise to get this personalized service at a Hilton Garden Inn. I recommend it highly and can say that it was a wonderful location for a wedding reception.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank fortwaynemom
HGISouthBend, Director of Sales at Hilton Garden Inn South Bend, responded to this reviewResponded 2 August 2011

Fortwayne,

We are glad that Matt S. was able to help you so quickly with your needs. Our employees appreciate getting positive feedback and we will make sure to pass this along to him. We do try to anticipate the needs of our guests so having things like wedding cards on hand are a must! I trust that you received all of your perks for being a Hilton Honors Diamond member. We hope to see you again when your travels bring you back to South Bend!

Reviewed 30 July 2011

This beautiful clean and smartly furnished hotel was the ideal place to attend a family wedding. We got there early due to the Mass being held at Notre Dame Basilica at 10AM Chicago time. They actually got us into our room at 8:30AM...unheard of in Chicago, or any other place that I travel! The young lady at the front desk was extremely helpful, friendly and organized! She was dealing with a large group of us who all wanted to get into our rooms before the wedding and she handled it perfectly. Our room was huge, clean and the bed was dreamy comfortable. I hope my grandchildren get into ND just so I can visit again!

Room Tip: Ask for a room on a top floor
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank SMuir

Dear SMuir,

We appreciate your positive feedback! Our ballroom and location coupled with our rooms are the ideal place for weddings. We love working with the ND brides and their families and are pleased we were able to accommodate your need for an early check in. Hilton Garden Inn has the best beds so comfortable and did you know that they are adjustable. We hope that when your travels bring you back to South Bend you will decide to stay with us! Congratulations to the bride and groom!

Reviewed 28 June 2011

I would have to agree with the previous reviewer… Great Location, courteous staff and nice rooms, BUT…VERY NOISY!!!!

There were 2 weddings at the hotel the night we stayed (we were in town on business) and the room next to ours was a Junior Suite with numerous people socializing until at least 3:30 am. Kids and wedding parties throughout the lobby, throughout the hallways and crowding the elevator. Numerous coolers. This was a Saturday night and we had an early appointment on Sunday morning. I am a Hilton Honors member and that is why I chose this hotel. I will be traveling quite often to South Bend but I WILL NOT STAY HERE AGAIN ON A WEEKEND as it is an apparent hotel for weddings!!! I understand the hotel catering to weddings on the weekends due to the few business travelers on the weekends, and I do know the hotel was fully booked the evening of our stay, BUT at least give the others not associated with the weddings advance notice so they may chose to stay else where. It was a very miserable stay.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Traveler770r
HGISouthBend, Director of Sales at Hilton Garden Inn South Bend, responded to this reviewResponded 30 June 2011

Pizzaman1,

Thank you for your response. You are correct we do generally have weddings on the weekends. Did you know we actually have an 8,000 square foot ballroom? Many of our wedding parties are actually Notre Dame Graduates so coming back to South Bend is somewhat of a reunion for them. We don’t generally have business travelers on the weekend. I do apologize if our other guests were noisy. Did you happen to call down and let the front desk know?

We hope that you will stay with us again in the future. Next time you are traveling please give me a call and I will personally ensure that your room is in a more quite location. Guest satisfaction is of the utmost importance to us!

Reviewed 13 June 2011

I had never stayed at a Hilton Garden Inn before this visit and was pleasantly surprised by the size of the room and the quality. Exceptional linens and well appointed. The breakfast is a real bonus to actually get good food to start the day and to have it prepared for you to order.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank rca2
HGISouthBend, Director of Sales at Hilton Garden Inn South Bend, responded to this reviewResponded 15 June 2011

RCA2,

Thank you for your positive feedback. We strive for exceptional service and quality. Guests love our crisp white linens and comfortable beds. Our breakfast is made fresh daily by our chefs and our made to order eggs, pancakes, and waffles are always hot! You can find these amenities at all Hilton Garden Inns. I hope we have made you a loyal guest!

Reviewed 13 March 2011

Good location near Notre Dame. Clean rooms. BUT...

In spite of asking for quiet rooms, they placed us next to the elevator on the night of hosting a wedding. Heard the drunks at 2, and 3, and 4.

All I ask is for hotels to use a small bit of common sense and put the wedding parties by the elevators and the non partiers at the far end of the hall.

• Stayed: March 2011
3  Thank KevinBuildsWireless
HGISouthBend, Director of Sales at Hilton Garden Inn South Bend, responded to this reviewResponded 21 March 2011

Hello KevinBuildsTowers,

We appreciate your feedback! I apologize that they were some rowdy guests in the hotel during your stay. Did you contact the front desk to alert them? We would love to have you back and certainly have many rooms that would be away from elevators. Did you know if you are Hilton Honors member they can put a request like that on your profile and it will be there for every reservation throughout any of our Hilton Family of hotels? We would love to have you back. Please contact me personally next time and I will ensure that your room location is in a much quieter area. Thank you again for your feedback and we hope to accommodate you again.