“Very nice, new HGI property on the Saint Mary's College campus”

Hilton Garden Inn South Bend
Ranked #3 of 30 Hotels in South Bend
Toledo
“Very nice, new HGI property on the Saint Mary's College campus”
Reviewed 30 July 2014

I stayed here for a wedding which took place on the Saint Mary's College campus. I mostly made the right decision.

This is clearly a newer property next to the Inn at Saint Mary's. There is a convention center attached to the back of the HGI, which also features an outdoor area. On this particular weekend, I noticed they had this outdoor area setup for a wedding (not the wedding I attended).

The king size room I had was large and honestly could accommodate about 10 queen size air mattresses on the floor. I like that my room had a walk in shower and not a bathtub. I wish more hotels would feature this in bathroom.

Standard HGI Keurig and minifridge in the room. I did not like that I was next to the elevator since my HHonors profile requests that my room is away from the elevator. However, this worked out because I had a large wedding gift that made it easy to not carry it all around the hotel and back to my car.

The free breakfast with my Gold status was standard as well. I wish there was more chocolate milk offered on the beverage area. I did not request more from the servers. Speaking of the servers: I realize this isn't the best serving job as most people probably have the free breakfast coupon and they are not ordering off the menu in the morning. But a couple more trips to the table would have been nice. I ran out of water (I don't drink juice anymore and I am not a coffee drinker) and when I was finished eating, the server still wasn't to be seen so I just left my table. Normally I'll tip a few bucks to my room for the free breakfast service (and to pick up more HHonors points - there's a tip for you there), but this time I did not because the server basically didn't exist.

A suggestion to the omelet station: list the ingredients that you have available for your omelets that way people don't have to guess as to what you have available that day.

I checked in late on a Friday. Went to the rehearsal dinner event and was informed by the bride and her family that the house they rented in South Bend had an extra bedroom and I was welcome to use it to save on the hotel cost. When I inquired about cancelling my Saturday night stay first thing Saturday morning, the front desk informed me they need 24-hours on the cancellation. Now while this is probably true and also probably stated in the condition of reserving the room, I was annoyed because it was a really nice house (and I was hoping they could help me out since I have HHonors Gold). No dice.

The hotel bar stayed open late Saturday (after midnight) as there were a few different weddings taking place. I did not have an issue with any noise. If I knew other people staying at this hotel for the wedding, I would have taken advantage of the late night bar. So this was a nice and smart touch to staff the bar because people did use it late Saturday. Hopefully the bartender had a nice night when it came to the tips.

There is also fruit infused water in the lobby. When I informed the front desk it was empty at one point during my stay, they immediately changed it out and refilled the container.

Overall: convenient to the Indiana Toll Road (next door) and on the Saint Mary's College campus. I walked to the wedding in Le Mans Hall. I walk quickly. It probably took me five minutes.

Room Tip: Get the room with the walk-in shower.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank BuckeyeHoosier
Kory D, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn South Bend, responded to this review, 7 August 2014
Dear BuckeyeHoosier,

Thank you for your nice comments and suggestions regarding your recent stay with us. It's great to hear all of the positive feedback as well as a fresh set of eyes to let us know other areas where we can improve. We hope that the next time you're in South Bend you choose to stay with us as we know there are many options in this market.

Kory DeMeulenaere

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
oolitic, United States
Reviewed 24 July 2014

The room was neat and clean nice furnishings. The restaurant staff was very helpful and the food was excellent. the location was right off the toll road and on St. Mary's campus. Notre Dame is across the street. It is also convenient to drug stores and other restaurants.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Garden Inn

1 Thank Catherine F
Jeff A, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn South Bend, responded to this review, 30 July 2014
Dear Catherine,

Thank you for your kind words regarding our hotel, restaurant and staff. It's great to hear that you took advantage of our convenient location in South Bend! We hope to see you again soon.

Green Bay, Wisconsin
Reviewed 23 July 2014 via mobile

The hotel is above average, but the restaurant, Bistro, serves overcooked & uninteresting food. I have stayed here several times this year & the food was always good..... They switched the menu & it is not worth the expense now.

Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank smgagen
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your recent review of our restaurant. I am sorry to hear that the menu and food choices were not up to your standards and would appreciate talking to you in more detail about specifics on what you ordered. Please feel free to contact me directly at 574-232-7700.

Reviewed 20 July 2014 via mobile

We stayed here from wed - Sunday. This hotel is amazing. Excellent/ accommodating staff and the rooms were huge and clean! We were here for a wedding. I also tried the breakfast 1 morning it was delish but over priced. Would 100% stay again. Thanks hilton garden inn for making my home away from home a great time:)

Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank ison1002
Jeff A, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn South Bend, responded to this review, 21 July 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your recent feedback regarding our hotel and your stay. We appreciate your comments regarding hte hotel and restaurant. Please visit us again the next time you're in South Bend!

south bend, United States
Reviewed 17 July 2014

We go to this hotel because of the restaurant inside the hotel. The menu is not your ordinary menu, it's quiet and we always get great service (especially from Jenny). They recently changed their menu and we're sorry to see the Salmon and Thai chicken go, hopefully they bring that back. Our food is always cooked to perfection and it's just an overall enjoyable experience.

1 Thank liketorate
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing to dine with us in the Bistro 933 while staying with us. We appreciate your feedback regarding our menu. Please do inquire about our nightly features as we do offer the Thai Chicken & Shrimp about once a week since it was such a favorite!

South Bend, United States
Reviewed 14 July 2014

Stayed a week at the Hilton Garden Inn and the staff was very helpful and went out of their way to assist us. Erin the Assistant Manger was great to work with. Room very clean and housekeeping did a wonderful job in keeping our room organized.

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Garden Inn

1 Thank Lindsay F
Dear Lindsay,

Thank you for your recent post regarding your stay and our staff. It's great to hear that Erin and our Housekeeping Staff took such good care of you while in town. We do hope to see you again in the near future.

New York City, New York
Reviewed 12 July 2014

I stayed 2 nights here while attending a family wedding in South Bend. The hotel is located just off the Indiana Toll Road in South Bend, adjacent to the St. Mary's College campus. The hotel is very clean both in common areas and the rooms. Nothing special about the rooms per se - standard Garden Inn rooms. The beds were comfortable and the linens had a nice soft feel. Towels were plenty thick and soft as well. My only complaint of the room is that it did not have a safe. It did have a minifridge and a microwave though which came in handy. The bar in the hotel was good and the bartender friendly. The reception for the wedding was held in the Gillespi Center which is associated with/attached to the hotel. The venue was beautiful, the food good and the service was great. All in all a wonderful hotel and nice place to hold a wedding reception.

1 Thank Timetorun
Jeff A, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn South Bend, responded to this review, 14 July 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for the feedback regarding our guest rooms, service, and food. Although we do not have in room safes, we can provide you safes through our front desk and apologize that you were not made aware of this. We are happy to hear that you spent the weekend with us over a family wedding in the Gillespie and everything went well.