Hilton Garden Inn South Bend
Ranked #3 of 30 Hotels in South Bend
Reviewed 6 August 2014

expectations can be deceiving. this property, about 9 miles from the airport, or a $20 cab ride, is also a meeting center. a bit bigger and fancier than its counterparts. tables in the restaurant area are more numerous and covered w tablecloths at night for a more formal eating environment. food quality is the same as other HGI properties, but is served well. staff is alert and friendly and will help for any needs. room s are a bit larger and the bed is divided by partition giving the impression of two rooms, when there is only one; but it is a nice effect. big flat screen is available for viewing from the comfortable couches and chair in the room. I have become used to a pillow top, missing on their firm mattress, but the quality was good, and tolerated. ample large pillows and duvet made for a restful night anyway.
exercise room as small but adequate for some aerobics.
would stay here again on return to the area.

Room Tip: no real views here. go for larger room if possible
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank hotelmavin
Kory D, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn South Bend, responded to this reviewResponded 7 August 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for staying with us and providing feedback on your stay. We appreciate all the comments and hope to see you again in the near future!

Reviewed 6 August 2014

We chose the hilton garden inn while in south bend for a family reunion. I would say that overall this hotel was clean and well maintained, the pool are was in good shape and wasn't at all bust during our stay. The parking wasn't the greatest because there was a reunion going on the same day we stayed but that wasn't a big deal.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Alicia M

Hi Alicia,

Thank you for commenting on your recent stay with us over the weekend. There is additional parking that we offer behind the hotel as well, but understand your concern with other events taking place. We hope to see you again in the future.

Reviewed 4 August 2014

As I was conducting business at Notre Dame, my two older children were taking in the sights and activities at Notre Dame. They both were very complimentary for the breakfast and staff that served them. I was appreciative of the midnight person making sure the coffee was fresh when I departed in the early hours prior to breakfast being served.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business

Dear Daniel,

It's great to hear that not only you enjoyed your stay but as well your children. Thank you for letting us know about our staff and the service they provided whle staying with us.

Reviewed 2 August 2014

I would stay here again. The room was very clean and the location was amazing! Room service was fast and the food was very good. The front desk was very helpful with my questions regarding campus, maps and what to do in the city.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Cenita G

Dear Cenita,

Thank you for your lovely comments regarding our hotel and service. We appreciate the time you took and hope to see you again soon!

Regards,

Reviewed 30 July 2014

I stayed here for a wedding which took place on the Saint Mary's College campus. I mostly made the right decision.

This is clearly a newer property next to the Inn at Saint Mary's. There is a convention center attached to the back of the HGI, which also features an outdoor area. On this particular weekend, I noticed they had this outdoor area setup for a wedding (not the wedding I attended).

The king size room I had was large and honestly could accommodate about 10 queen size air mattresses on the floor. I like that my room had a walk in shower and not a bathtub. I wish more hotels would feature this in bathroom.

Standard HGI Keurig and minifridge in the room. I did not like that I was next to the elevator since my HHonors profile requests that my room is away from the elevator. However, this worked out because I had a large wedding gift that made it easy to not carry it all around the hotel and back to my car.

The free breakfast with my Gold status was standard as well. I wish there was more chocolate milk offered on the beverage area. I did not request more from the servers. Speaking of the servers: I realize this isn't the best serving job as most people probably have the free breakfast coupon and they are not ordering off the menu in the morning. But a couple more trips to the table would have been nice. I ran out of water (I don't drink juice anymore and I am not a coffee drinker) and when I was finished eating, the server still wasn't to be seen so I just left my table. Normally I'll tip a few bucks to my room for the free breakfast service (and to pick up more HHonors points - there's a tip for you there), but this time I did not because the server basically didn't exist.

A suggestion to the omelet station: list the ingredients that you have available for your omelets that way people don't have to guess as to what you have available that day.

I checked in late on a Friday. Went to the rehearsal dinner event and was informed by the bride and her family that the house they rented in South Bend had an extra bedroom and I was welcome to use it to save on the hotel cost. When I inquired about cancelling my Saturday night stay first thing Saturday morning, the front desk informed me they need 24-hours on the cancellation. Now while this is probably true and also probably stated in the condition of reserving the room, I was annoyed because it was a really nice house (and I was hoping they could help me out since I have HHonors Gold). No dice.

The hotel bar stayed open late Saturday (after midnight) as there were a few different weddings taking place. I did not have an issue with any noise. If I knew other people staying at this hotel for the wedding, I would have taken advantage of the late night bar. So this was a nice and smart touch to staff the bar because people did use it late Saturday. Hopefully the bartender had a nice night when it came to the tips.

There is also fruit infused water in the lobby. When I informed the front desk it was empty at one point during my stay, they immediately changed it out and refilled the container.

Overall: convenient to the Indiana Toll Road (next door) and on the Saint Mary's College campus. I walked to the wedding in Le Mans Hall. I walk quickly. It probably took me five minutes.

Room Tip: Get the room with the walk-in shower.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank BuckeyeHoosier

Dear BuckeyeHoosier,

Thank you for your nice comments and suggestions regarding your recent stay with us. It's great to hear all of the positive feedback as well as a fresh set of eyes to let us know other areas where we can improve. We hope that the next time you're in South Bend you choose to stay with us as we know there are many options in this market.

Reviewed 24 July 2014

The room was neat and clean nice furnishings. The restaurant staff was very helpful and the food was excellent. the location was right off the toll road and on St. Mary's campus. Notre Dame is across the street. It is also convenient to drug stores and other restaurants.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Catherine F
Jeff A, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn South Bend, responded to this reviewResponded 30 July 2014

Dear Catherine,

Thank you for your kind words regarding our hotel, restaurant and staff. It's great to hear that you took advantage of our convenient location in South Bend! We hope to see you again soon.

Regards,

Jeff Arthur

Reviewed 23 July 2014 via mobile

The hotel is above average, but the restaurant, Bistro, serves overcooked & uninteresting food. I have stayed here several times this year & the food was always good..... They switched the menu & it is not worth the expense now.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank smgagen

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your recent review of our restaurant. I am sorry to hear that the menu and food choices were not up to your standards and would appreciate talking to you in more detail about specifics on what you ordered. Please feel free to contact me directly at 574-232-7700.

Jeff Arthur