“A gem of a b&b!”
Review of The Oliver Inn

The Oliver Inn
Ranked #1 of 6 South Bend B&B and Inns
Reviewed 3 May 2011

My business hosted a "Royal Wedding Viewing Party" at the next-door Tippecanoe Place on Friday, April 29 at 5 am -- rather than drive 40 minutes at the crack of dawn, I called Tom and Alice to see if a room might be available.... my 10 year old granddaughter was accompanying me.

Tom booked us in the Clem room and it was AWESOME..... a nice queen bed, a big bathroom with a towel heater and, to my granddaughter's delight, chocolates on the pillow!

The Oliver Inn is extremely clean and well maintained and Alice's pasteries are to DIE for!

Don't miss this gem!!

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled on business

Reviewed 19 April 2011

Tom and Alice are great innkeepers. Great food, service, amenities, and an eye to details that was much appreciated. The place is exceptionally clean and homey. We are a multi-cultural family and appreciated that kind reception. We loved the history of the house and the area. Highly recommended.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled with family
Management response:Responded 12 May 2011

We enjoyed having your family with us for night! We love the history of our home and living in this historic neighborhood. We hope you will get to visit us again!

Reviewed 29 March 2011

Our stay here was wonderful! The little extra touches made this B&B just perfect for our anniversary celebration. The bed was super comfortable, we had a fireplace in our room, and in the bathroom there was a cute little clawfoot tub and AWESOME shower (separate from the tub!), as well as a towel warmer. They even included bubble bath! The owners were sweet and attentive without being pushy or overbearing. The breakfast was also incredible - maple sausage, pumpkin bread and stuffed panini french toast! Yummm! Location is close to Notre Dame and there are great restaurants super close as well.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
Management response:Responded 31 March 2011

Thank you for spending your anniversary with us, we are glad you had a great visit! The Clem Studebaker Room is one of our favorite rooms too!

Reviewed 24 March 2011

We always prefer to stay in B& B's, so when we discovered The Oliver Inn on our way to Michigan it sounded perfect. Everything about our stay was perfect from the time we checked in until check out the next morning. The innkeepers were gracious hosts. Our room was beyond expectations, comfortable bed, charm, gas fireplace, clawfoot tub and separate shower. Breakfast was great, Italian omelet, fruit, and coffeecake with lots of coffee and hot tea.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
Management response:Responded 25 March 2011

Dear Linda,

Thank you for staying with us! We hope you had a great retreat in Michigan and that you are able to stay with us again in the near future.
Alice and Tom

Reviewed 18 February 2011

Into turn of the century time and history, and this was one great experience. Love mansions and the history that go with them. We found the Oliver Inn to be an excellent choice for our little romantic get away.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 February 2011

I stayed in the Schuyler Colfax room which is just right for one traveler or a couple. For such an old, huge place it was extremely clean. I mean white-glove clean. There was about 12-16 inches of snow on the ground during my visit and all the sidewalks on the property, including the block long side walk in front of the property were clear.

The service was impeccable. Here you get everything you would get at a 4 and 5 star hotel. I blinked and my bags were in my room. I mention a restaurant I would like to try and the reservation is made. I express a need for transportation, a taxi is called. Alice and Tom have done a good job of anticipating what a guest might need. Want a snack? The butler's pantry is stocked with typical salty snacks, fresh baked cookies, and jelly beans. Water, tea, coffee, juices, and soda are readily available as well. This worked out great for me because between running around shopping (just blocks from the Inn) I was able to pop in drop my bags, get a quick snack and continue with my day.

Also, the guest room amenities made my room cozy. They have high speed internet and cable TV. Because my trip was last minute, I underpacked so I appreciated having a nice bathrobe and eco-friendly toiletries in my room. Oh and don't let me forget the chocolates on my pillow everynight-yum.

The breakfast is out of this world--I had a baked apple pancake with sweet and spicy bacon, fresh fruit salad, freshly baked lemon poppyseed bread, coffee and pomegranate juice. Sitting in front a fire and under the light of a silver candlebra just made the food taste even better. My flight left at 7:00 the next morning so Alice packed a goody bag for my flight.

I cannot wait for another reason to visit South Bend!

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 24 January 2011

My husband and I stayed for one night in honor of our anniversary. We are actually South Bend residents, and we were looking for a destination that was close, relaxing, beautiful, and quiet. Well, we got it all! And we learned a few things about the history of our town along the way. We also got a pretty good deal from their website because we booked a "last minute special". Tom and Alice were perfect hosts, and you can tell that they love what they do.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple
Hyatt Place South Bend/Mishawaka
Aloft South Bend
Aloft South Bend
#14 of 31 in South Bend

Been to The Oliver Inn? Share your experiences!