“EVERYTHING POOR.”

Ranked #26 of 29 Hotels in South Bend
Greeneville, Tennessee
“EVERYTHING POOR.”
Reviewed 7 January 2012

Some of the problems contained within the confines of my hotel room's walls are as follows:

1. Rust was never in short supply. Anything metal was rusty, indicating a moisture problem. This is reinforced by the fact that the wood of most furniture and decor items was warped. Also, ceiling tiles by the bathroom contained mold and were in general disrepair.

2. The floor, for whatever reason, was bouncy. Walking next to the dresser yielded a shaking of the television and all of the contents of the dresser top. Speaking of the dresser drawers, 3 out of 4 were broken.

3. The light above the television was rather non-functional, to the point where the room seemed like a discotech because of the strobing action. If you're into character rooms, and you'd like to simulate a rave, come on in.

4. The beds do not contain fitted sheets, and the duvet covers smelled faintly of febreze, which said to me they were not properly washed in a while.

5. The shower. In a word? Awful. The faucet was entirely loose, crooked, leaked, and the water pressure was almost pathetic. It was a crapshoot to turn off the cold water, as it spun 360 degrees, without any indication that it was shutting off.

6. The gentleman, Ghandi, that aided us with our reservation and stay was very diligent, attentive and overall excellent. This is the reason they get one star. Kudos, Ghandi.

If you're willing to overlook all of these problems, there is a warm and welcoming holy bible in the nightstand awaiting you.

p.s. the area is awful.
p.p.s. do not eat at the Taco Bell across the street, as the food is not fresh, and actually seems to be refrigerated prior to being served.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank DahliaMama

Solo
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Cleveland, Ohio
Reviewed 26 September 2011

I had made reservations here for a Notre Dame football weekend in October, 2011. Some time during the Spring of 2011 I had called to cancel this reservation but could not come up with my cancellation number. My credit card was charged two weeks prior to the reservation date, that's how I found out that my reservation had not been cancelled. Because the rooms in South Bend are sold out months in advance of home football games, he has a 30 day cancellation policy. He would not listen to my account that I had cancelled because I had no cancellation number. I explained that there were still two weeks prior to the reservation, and he could easily fill the rooms if he cancelled my reservation. He refused and thus he will take my deposit of two rooms rental AND he we fill the room as soon as he lists it. He was very rude and it was obvious that doubling his charge for that room was his intention.

Room Tip: Remember there is a 30 day cancellation policy and make sure you get proof of your cancellation numb...
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank garrymoh

Travellers are raving about these South Bend hotels

Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 8 January 2011

The whole idealogy behind a national chain is that you can expect a certain quality without having to read a review. A big mac is a big mac no matter where you are; that is the beauty of a national chain. Not so with this place.

We were late getting to this hotel due to the snow, so my wife called ahead to ensure that they did not cancel our reservation. Well, the guy didn't speak english, and ended up cancelling our reservation, so we had to wait 20 minutes while they got a key made up when we go there, etc. We also arrived in a blizzard and you think they would clear the snow from in front of your room door at least? NO. I had to ask them for a shovel so that I could clear a path for my wife and baby.

The ceiling was stained, the mattress was stained, the pillows were stained and the place had obviously not been vacuumed. The mattress was probably older than me. The worst part was the door didn't even lock! And it had a gap at the bottom that let in the cold air and snow, so we had to blockade it with the pillows and a chair.

I don't know if any breakfast was served because I spent the morning digging out our car from 2.5 feet of snow, with no help thank you very much, from the management. They didn't even unlock the front door until 9:00 AM or so.

It sounds like it was a good thing there was 2 feet of snow because we were not even aware this was a shady area. (Thanks for the other reviews). Plus, everyone else must have read these reviews, because there was only us and two other people even staying there. This is the kind of hotel they make horror movies about where no one survives the night. So, take our advice and stay far away!

• Stayed January 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank MelaT19
guntown, ms
Reviewed 18 November 2010

smelled like cat pee and cinnamon, nothing worked, bathroom door wont close

• Stayed November 2010, travelled with friends
1 Thank brandonspeck
Reviewed 10 October 2010

My father and I stayed at this room so we had a place to stay after watching the Notre Dame/Pitt game. I am a 30 year old man and it takes alot to disgust me as much as this room did. Usually all hotel rooms are the same to me as long as the bed is comfortable and the shower is decent. First off this hotel is in the hood. The room was dirty and disgusting. The bed was broken and I could feel the springs digging into my back as I tried to sleep. I actually thought about sleeping in our car but feared the neighborhood we were in. It would take alot to ruin a great father and son weekend. This room almost did it. It cost us 150$ a night to stay at this crack shack. The next night we stayed at a Comfort Inn for 60$ in Toledo and it felt like the greatest room on earth. Half the price of the Econo lodge and 100 times better. This hotel should be condemned and the owner and workers should be deported.

• Stayed October 2010
Massachusetts
Reviewed 17 September 2010

We stayed here while traveling on the interstate. We saw the coupon at a rest area and it looked like a good deal, about $45. On the positive side, there were no bedbugs and I slept well. The bedding seemed clean, the bathroom was clean. A modest breakfast is included: cold cereal, pastries, and juice. BUT...the ac didn't seemed to be working, at least the controls were broken. Lucky for us it wasn't too hot. The cleaning people do a terrible job vacuuming (see photo). The exterior looks very neglected. On a Sunday morning, two shady-looking young men in hoodies were walking very slowly through the parking lot. Nothing happened but it made me wonder what part of town we were in.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family
2 Thank Senorheath
Pocono Area, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 6 October 2008

I have never been more disappointed in a hotel! This hotel is loacted near the airport and within 4 miles of ND but in a very questionable section of South Bend. We were in a room that connected to the room next door - the locks were broken between the rooms and they had the mini-fridge/microwave up against the door to attempt to stop our neighbors from coming into our room (thank goodness we had very nice neighbors who were as disappointed as we were). The deadbolt on the main door worked if you really worked with it - all of the other locks were barely attached to the door! There was dust/dirt/grime on the ceilings and hanging light fixtures. The floor was disgusting, I would not walk in our room without shoes on! The bedding was in terrible condition and the beds themseleves were horrible. Don't even think of asking for extra towels - you would think you asked for the taj mahal!

We had people begging for money ouside of our room and had cars coming in to the parking area and continuing behind the hotel only to leave a few minutes later.

Sure we paid over $200 per night (I understand supply and demand on a game weekend) but I would not pay $20 per night to stay here!

• Liked — nothing!
  • Disliked — everything!
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled with friends