“Paper thin ceilings and floors”

Residence Inn South Bend
Ranked #17 of 30 Hotels in South Bend
Reviewed 11 May 2013 via mobile

I was very hopeful when I arrived. Decent location. Cute fireplace BUT my pleasant stay evaporated when I settled in. Above me was a group of acrobats, a heard of elephant or kids. I'm guessing the latter. They were jumping, rolling and marching until 12 midnight and restarted at 6am!!!
When I may a recommendation to the front desk they put kids on the first floors they informed me they can't because the suites are on second! Extremely poor planning!! So beware if you need to sleep. You could be entertained by 'Stomp' all night long.

• Stayed: May 2013
Christopher T, General Manager at Residence Inn South Bend, responded to this reviewResponded 27 May 2013

First of all I want to thank you for staying with us. I apologize for the unsatisfactory noise levels from your upstairs neighbors/cast members of Stomp. We try and accommodate every guest request, and while all of our penthouse suites are on the upper floors we make every possible attempt to not assign multiple occupancy rooms to upper floors.

There are newer reviews for Residence Inn South Bend

Reviewed 8 May 2013

The property was nice and clean. Not a lot of traffic or outside noise. The rooms were arranged to minimize noise from other patrons. We had a slow toilet when we checked in. The desk sent maintenance within 5 minutes and problem was fixed.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family

Thank you for staying with us and taking time to write a review. I'm sorry to hear that you had maintenance issues when you checked in, but glad to see that our service and maintenance staff was able to fix it promptly. The entire staff takes pride in making sure all of our guests are taken care of promptly. Again, thank you for your kind words and patronage, we sincerely appreciate it.

Reviewed 22 April 2013

I stayed here with my son while visiting Notre Dame. The property is close to the river, and feels more like a small condo complex than a hotel. It is just over a mile to ND - a five minute drive. Our room was a two bedroom, two bath unit with the upper bed and bath in a large loft. Lots of closet space, a full kitchen, dining area and living area with gas fireplace. (Which was pleasant as it was a cold few days in April!) Free Wi-Fi with an excellent signal. The breakfast was better than I expected with a nice selection including fruit, oatmeal, cereals, a nice selection of baked goods, waffles, as well as scrambled eggs with meats. There is a game room, and a workout facility, nice pool area, and a basketball court. I can see why people would select this for longer stays, but it was also nice for our two day visit. My only complaints: the loft arrangement makes it a bit noisy if one person is watching TV and the other wishes to sleep, and the walls are a bit thin - you can hear doors opeing and closing in other units. But it wasn't disturbing.

Room Tip: Try to choose a room on the upper level. They are quieter.
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
Christopher T, General Manager at Residence Inn South Bend, responded to this reviewResponded 25 April 2013

Thank you for choosing to stay with us at the Residence Inn South Bend. I'm glad to hear that your accomodations were comfortable, and that you made use of several of our amenities. Hopefully you will be able to come back when the weather is a bit warmer and you can make use of our pool and sports court.

Reviewed 22 February 2013

The accommodations were comfortable, not to compact. I liked the full kitchen. My critters enjoyed their walks (had my doggy bag for messes). The staff was professional, seemed to enjoy the daily visits with my 2 critters. Meals were great for breakfast & the 2 or 3 they had for evening meal. They even cleaned the snow off the patio & a bit surrounding for me to take my pets out!

Room Tip: It was nice to have a ground floor to take the pets out without worrying about being dragged down th...
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled on business
Christopher T, General Manager at Residence Inn South Bend, responded to this reviewResponded 25 February 2013

It was a pleasure to have you (not to mention Fergie and Popeye) Thank you for staying with us and taking the time to leave us feedback. It is much appreciated. We hope to see you back again soon.

Reviewed 14 January 2013

Our youth hockey team stayed here while in town for a tournament Jan 11-13, 2013. The rooms were clean and comfortable. We rented the game room as a place for the kids on the team to hang out and bond. The sport court was great for some team activities, too. The staff was professional, courteous and accomodating - they even set up the hot breakfast at 5am because we had a 7am hockey game on Sunday. Fantastic weekend - hope we can stay here next time we come to town for a tourney.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled with friends
Christopher T, General Manager at Residence Inn South Bend, responded to this reviewResponded 18 February 2013

It was a pleasure to be able to host your team for the weekend. I'm glad to see that you were able to utilize some of the many amenities that our facility has to offer and that you were comfortable. We certainly look forward to seeing you again in the near future.

Reviewed 5 January 2013

We arrived in the early evening on a snowy night during Christmas break (the hotel is located relatively close to the Notre Dame campus) and the accommodations were perfect for us. A gas fireplace, a comfortable warm bed, and a full kitchen to dine in on our food we carried in. Our critters loved it and we all had an excellent evening. A nice breakfast rounded out the trip. Quiet, nice property set up nearly identical to several Residence Inns we've stayed in. Sometimes predictability is a good thing; it was here. Highly recommend.

Room Tip: If you have alot to carry, ask for a room on the first (ground) floor to avoid going up and down sta...
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple

Thank you for staying with us at the Residence Inn South Bend. I am delighted to hear that you (and your critters) enjoyed your stay with us. I'm certainly glad that you experienced the consistent service and accomodations that you have come to expect from Residence Inns. We look forward to having you back again soon.

Reviewed 20 November 2012

This property is certainly not worth the price. Located in a residential neighborhood. No shops or restaurants nearby. Outdoor pool, so closed most of the year. We stayed in a duplex that offered no privacy. Sleeping area is simply part of the main room. Same thing with loft. Not even a door. For the rates this place charges, I expected much more.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with friends