“"Worst" Hotel in South Bend”

Quality Inn & Suites
Ranked #9 of 29 Hotels in South Bend
Louisville, KY
“"Worst" Hotel in South Bend”
Reviewed 13 October 2009

I have stayed at many Quality Inns but this was disgusting. After I checked in, my room door won't open, came down waited for 5 min. for front desk to show up. Gave me a new key, still won't open my room door. Finally, upon my request gave me another room with a weird look. It was a connecting room. I could hear loud TV and a party next door entire night. Room smelled smoking but no sense of complaining. Went to use bathroom, found a cigarette in toilet. Called front desk, she said it was a non-smoking room. She also advised me, she can not switch me because they did not had any more non-smoking rooms available. Found a hair on pillow and in bathroom so decided to sleep with out taking shower. Did not get a wake up call in the morning which I requested to set up at Check in......Went for B'fast at 5:45 am waited to open until 6 am. No fruits, gravy nothing but water, biscuits too hard to break may be leftover, finally thought to make a waffle but waffle maker was not cleaned from previous day as I was the first person for B'fast. Finally I went to my room and decided to check out. Found another hotel in the area, this hotel did allow me to Check-in early. Won't stay at any Quality Inns any more. Also do not expect to be contacted by General Manager.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled on business
1 Thank member66

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Abilene, TX
Reviewed 23 July 2009

I chose this hotel for one night at the end of a trip back home for a family reunion. We had stayed at another chain in our home town and had a wonderful room and great service. I chose Quality Inn for it's proximity to the airport because my grandson and I had an early morning flight the next day. I called the desk to ask for a wake up call. The woman who answered told me (not asked) to call back in 10 minutes since she was busy. She was very rude. I set the alarm on my cell phone and went to bed. We were unable to sleep because of kids running up and down the hall after 11:00 p.m. and parents yelling at them to shut up, although they never did. I called the woman at the front desk, who never came to take care of the problem. The noise finally settled down. Then at around 3:00 a.m., a man was outside screaming into his cell phone, obviously arguing with someone. He then brought the phone and the argument into the hallway, where again the front desk could not be bothered.

• Stayed July 2009
1 Thank dabsgram
south bend
Reviewed 17 December 2008

First, we couldn't get in our room we had to call the front desk and they told us you have to jiggle the door. Second, while taking a shower i saw that there was hair on the walls of the shower. Then in the toilet was trash! Not to mention when you get a smoking room they should put ash trays in there but we had to use a cup. Also the curtains were see through. I was very disgusted by this place and would not recommend it to anybody.

Stayed December 2008
1 Thank ndominiq
Phila.
Reviewed 11 September 2008

Notre Dame parents beware of this arrogant and despicable manager.I made this reservation through AAA over three months prior to our arrival for freshman orientation,called a few days before to confirm which the desk clerk did. Arrived approximately 6:00 pm after driving 14 hours , presented our reservation with validation number and were told there was no room available . The manager refused to talk to me and the desk clerk rejected my hard copy reservation. When I requested from the desk clerk who cancelled my reservation she said "The Manager Did". With this being Freshman Orientation Weekend ,rooms were nonexisrtent. With no help from the hotel ,my wife and son secured lodging in Elkart,approximately 15mi. away. I reported this incident to Choice Hotels later that evening and although they were very apologetic, said the hotels are independently owned and that they can cancel your reservation. I also followed this up with AAA with the same result. Shame on Choice Hotels for not reigning in this awful Hotel Manager, you won't be my first choice in the future.

• Disliked — The rudeness and unprofessial conduct
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
1 Thank nddad2
Delaware
Reviewed 26 August 2008

We were traveling all day and decided to stop for the night we chose a Quality Inn because we had confidence in the "Choice Hotel Chain" WRONG !! The bathroom was filthy and covered in mold , the sink was split in half and repaired with some kind of sticky compound . I used toilet paper instead of sitting on the seat and used bottled water to brush my teeth. Usually I would have gone back to the desk and demanded our money back but we were tired ,and there were no other rooms available in the area.

Stayed August 2008