“Great Value”

Waterford Estates Lodge South Bend
Ranked #22 of 31 Hotels in South Bend
Reviewed 9 July 2011

Last minute decision to hit the beaches and restaurants in southwest Michigan and northwest Indiana on the weekend of the 4th had us scrambling for a hotel that would not bust our budget. Waterford Estate Lodge initially intrigued us because the room expense was low, but we were a little worried about what we would encounter when we arrived due to the inexpensive price. Fortunately, the hotel was easy to find - just a few blocks away from the highway, the rooms were clean and nicely decorated, the staff was friendly and accommodating, and the overall experience was just right. Our 4-year old was excited about the indoor pool, but that was the only downside of our stay, as there were close to a dozen loud teenage boys running and jumping into the pool with no supervision. Aside from the noise and inconsideration on behalf of the youth, I kept wondering what would happen if one of the boys seriously injured himself while doing back flips into the pool since no one from the hotel seemed to take notice. My little guy didn't seem to care, and still talks about swimming in the pool at Waterford more than he talks about the hours we spent at the beaches of Lake Michigan!

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family

Reviewed 4 July 2011

Hotel looks nice enough, and to be fair, the room was newly renovated and comfortable. My gripes start with the front desk. As an owner of an exterminating company, I ALWAYS ask if there have been any issues with bedbugs in the room I will be staying in. The senior front desk lady replied, "No. We have not had a single bedbug ever." She then smiled, chuckled, and said they might not want us to stay in their hotel because we might be bringing bedbugs with us. How rude of her. Great idea - insult the guest upon check-in. As I inspected my room I found my outdoor patio space covered in grass clippings and debris rendering it unusable. When I asked for help - nothing happened. The outdoor pool is strangely situated where you must leave a concrete walk-way and traverse the lawn to access it. Just plain weird. In the restaurant/lounge, I asked the waitress/bartender what was their signature dish. She looked perplexed by my question. I reworded it and asked if there was a house specialty ...... something they were known for. She thought about it long and hard, replying "I guess our Irish Stew". We chose to eat dinner at Outback Steakhouse, and I'm glad we did. When we returned later in the eveing to have a cocktail, I spoke to the gentleman next to me who was eating what appeared to be Irish Stew. When I asked him if he enjoyed his stew, he replied it was "thin", and I noticed he ate less than half of it before pushing his plate away. I found the service to be slow and less than friendly or engaging - and this on a night when there was less than 20 customers in attendance. On the other hand, the bottle of beer I was served was one of the coldest I've ever had. I visit South Bend every July 4 weekend. Next time I'll stay at the Hampton.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 15 May 2011

My family and I stayed at the Waterford Estates Lodge.
The front desk staff were very friendly.
Complimentary breakfast was a nice touch!

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 4 March 2011

This hotel is the worst I have stayed in so far. We went to use the hot tub and froze on the way there and back. The halls were 50 degrees. The hot tub was lukewarm at best. The food in their bar was way overpriced. It would have cost us $95 for a meal. We opted for Dine-In service instead. There was no table to eat at, just a small desk with one chair. I let my wife have the desk and I used the floor for a stable cutting surface. It was hard to tell who worked there and who were guests. The only staff that we noticed that had uniforms were the maids. There was alot of ice hanging off the building as well. Our room had an exterior exit but we couldn't use it in fear of those things falling on us. Late night snack? Get ready for a walk. There is only 1 snack machine and 1 ice machine in the whole complex. Halls are poorly lit, and did I mention cold? The TV in the room was not HD. It had a grainy picture most of the time. Just some advise, avoid this falsely advertised hotel. We will be choosing a different one next time we want to get away.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank billander
Reviewed 10 December 2010

We stayed at the hotel for a family reunion. We occupied about ten rooms. From the minute we arrived they were expecting us and we recieved a warm welcome. The clerk checking us in...(Debra) was friendly and catered to our every need. She took time to explain the ammenities the hotel offered and nearby "attractions" we might be interested in. We had a great time. The rooms were clean, affordable, and relaxing. The staff went out of their way to be sure we had anything we needed and it was greatly appreciated. Thnak you for making this special occasion a memorable one! We will book again next time!

• Stayed: June 2010
Reviewed 14 November 2010

Well lets start out with my disappointment of driving 6 hours and really looking forward to a beer at the bar I asked about the week prior only to find out that the bar doesnt exist anymore ,and the front desk clerk admitted the state wont issue them a licence over a property tax issue.

then lets go right to the hot tub being closed,apparently for some time,when I asked at booking if they have one , this was something I needed due to a long drive and a bad back.

Hotel staff that are rude, the maids actually came in,moved a few things around then hung the do not disturb sign to make it look like we didnt want the room cleaned. and the inconvienece it seemed we were when we called front desk to ask for more towels.

the shower also burns you after a few minutes even if its set on cold.

over all very poor experience, only up side was price, way cheaper then everyone else,however we now understand why.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled with friends
1  Thank Pickupman
Reviewed 17 October 2010

I had read a few reviews about this hotel, one had said that their car was broken into. I should have heeded their advice. Our car was also broken into, a smash and run is what the police stated. They also said that this happens very often at this hotel during Notre Dame football game weekends. We were in a room in the very back of the hotel, if you stay there request a room in the front!
The hotel staff was very kind but the walls were extremely thin, you could hear the people next door and every door shut on that wing. I did not get to sleep until 2 in the morning and was woke up to all the doors again shutting and the housekeeping staff talking and going about their routine. (their office a couple of doors down). I will never stay at this hotel or recommend it.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple