“Long Story Short: AVOID”
Review of Econo Lodge

Econo Lodge
Ranked #26 of 30 Hotels in South Bend
Reviewed 22 June 2012

Trip
I was very disappointed with the "Quality" Inn. The name is extremely deceiving. The only quality thing about the place were the hotel staff I encountered a the front desk who were both extremely nice and made you feel good, for the brief amount of time you are up there until you have to head back to your room. I just wanted to state this first as people in the past have complained about the staff, but from the two times I dealt with them they were very nice and accommodating. In moving onto the hotel itself. Horrible is the best word I can use to describe it. The whole hotel defiantly has water and mold issues. The whole place smelled heavily of it and not to mention my nose was going crazy. In the dark, dingy hallway to my room, evidence of water problems, beyond just the smell, came in the wallpaper totally pealing up about a foot or so for over a yard in length. It was horrible. (I have a picture posted of it in the photos section). After passing that, I arrived at my room. The door was sticky and was in very bad shape. The room was also dark and just depressing. Smelled of moisture, and upon looking outside it made sense as my room was around half way bellow the ground level outside my window with a slope to accommodate my window so I would not feel like I was in a basement. This explained the water problem. Just a poorly thought out design. Moving on from that, the room in general looked old and worn. TV was old and the picture was not always great. Sheets on the bed smelled bad and so did the towels in the bathroom. The bathroom is what is really disgusting for me. The tub was yellow (I have posted a picture in the photos section) and the ceilings were lower. The lighting was extremely poor, so it made the whole bathroom dingy. Everything in the bathroom was old. The sink has cracks in it, did not not leak but looked bad. Facet was horrible and old. The bathroom door would not close or lock for that matter. I refused to use the shower and just used my friend's at the Courtyard Marriott, where I really wish I had stayed. The rest of the hotel was just odd. It defiantly was not a hotel to begin with. Maybe an office complex. There was an odd fun dome area that was very empty and had a few games and that is it. No one was around at all. There were a lot of rooms looking onto it, but none were occupied. So all in all I would strongly suggest you avoid this hotel at all cost. It cost $80 and its probably better to go buy a cheap mattress and put it on the street and sleep there. The America's Best Inn next door sounds a lot better for a cheaper price. Whatever you do, do not go to the "Quality" Inn. There is nothing quality about it.

• Stayed: June 2012
1  Thank AlexM111

Reviewed 30 May 2012

I dont even know where to begin because the list goes on. Pulling in the parking lot, things looked fine. We were shocked when we entered the building to find the desk clerk sitting and she never once stood to greet us. Actually alot of staff were behind the front desk chatting and using language that would be unacceptable for a business. It seemed more like a rest area for the employees than the greeting desk of a hotel.The clerk was a little snippy with her remarks, almost as if we were iggnorant. When we found our room, it smelled of smoke and mildew. I asked to get switch, and it was no problem. Our second room was better but far from quality! Housekeeping needs to be retrained, especially in the bathroom area. Pool area was dirty. The windows in this area look like they havent been cleaned, same for the floors. There were broken chairs and the hot tub didnt work. Children were running all throughout the hotel all hours of the day and night. At one point they were out of towels and said we couldnt have any until the following day AFTER housekeeping arrived. I asked to speak to the manager about some issues and was told "IF" she comes in they didnt know what time it would be! Breakfast should not even be an option at this location and I honestly feel the night front deskmen, Mike, was the best thing this hotel has to offer. As for the est of the staff, maybe another set of "new" management should be hired and let everyone go. The 2 women I encountered at the desk should not be working in the hospitality business!

Room Tip: Keep going and find another location!!!
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank kelly w
Reviewed 24 May 2012

I booked one room on expedia and already paid on expedia.
The hotel charged me again at $79 when I arrived.
When I called for refund, they said there was a $25 for pet. OK, fine, refund me the remaining $54. Guess what they did, charge me another $54 and then refund me $54. This is what they call ''refund''. When I called back, they insisted they already did the refund, of course denied the second charge. Horrible.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank chival z
Reviewed 26 March 2012

My family lives within an hour from South Bend and visit Notre Dame a few times a year. We have been staying at the Quality Inn for about 5 years now and have been watching it age for the past couple of years, but when we went last weekend we were horrified. Not only were the cosmetic issues (paint, carpet) worse, but there was a piece of wood with a nail sticking out of it that had fallen off the wall in the hot tub area where people are walking around with no shoes. There were 2 different pool parties for little kids that night and because there was NO staff to be found anywhere in the building for hours, they didn't know that there were about 30 kids unsupervised in the pool. The pool area was filthy even before all the kids showed up, the floors looked like they haden't been mopped for quite some time, and they were continually out of towels. My husband found a piece of pizza in one of the video games (again,before the party) and the rest of them barely worked. We found out Gipper's lounge was closed hours after we checked in, even though it was still listed on the website. Our room was too hot to sleep in and found others sleeping in the fundome because they were too hot (but have had this problem at other hotels this time of year) When we went down for breakfast it was completely empty except for cereal, but as we were realizing this someone was going to get someone from the front desk. She was not very happy about doing her job, but she was the only person on staff that wasn't smiling and helpful. We had reservations there for the Notre Dame Spring Game, but I am cancelling those and have found a room down the road. Maybe new management isn't always good.

Room Tip: When we stayed, we always specified atrium rooms, otherwise you will have to walk across the parking...
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank irishfans78
Reviewed 24 March 2012

This hotel is very nasty and dirty. The room smelt like mold, the doors dont latch unless you slam yourself into them. There were dead rolly polly bugs on the bathroom floor. Staff was not friendly. This place should not even be open for business!! think the health department needs to make a visit, they would run away!

Room Tip: dont stay here!!
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank nick m
Reviewed 14 January 2012

As a truck driver, I get sent to alot of hotels during my travels. this was my first trip to South Bend and I must say I was glad to hear Quality Inn offered a shuttle to pick me up from the terminal. This was around the time of a snow storm that hit the city. I was a little cautious about how well the driver would do transporting me back to the hotel, But to my surprise the gentleman (I believe his name was PJ) that picked me up was very friendly and knew how to handle the roads in this condition. He was a safe driver and and very knowledgable about the area. The staff at this hotel are wonderful. Very pleasent ladies at the desk & i had a good expierence here.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank Craig P
Reviewed 8 January 2012

We overnighted here on our way back to the East Coast from Minnesota. This hotel has seen better days. The "fun dome" (what must have once been a large indoor playground) looks like the set of a horror movie, and we literally needed to body slam the door of our first room to get into it (we ended up changing b/c it was a smoking room). That said...the room where we eventually stayed was surprisingly comfortable, the staff were friendly and the the pool and fitness center looked nice. Also the hotel is near lots of restaurants and other attractions. And they allow pets. Bottom line: the place is fine for a short stay, or if you don't plan on spending much time hanging out there during the day. But don't expect the Ritz...

Room Tip: Ask for a room close the lobby -- the complex is huge (and mostly empty).
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank DanW329
Sharon_Cooper_GM, General Manager at Econo Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 16 January 2012

Dan W,

Thank you for your review of our hotel – feedback, both positive and negative is always welcome.

The Hotel has recently undergone a management change and the vision is to restore the property to its previous condition (glory?) As with any change, this will not happen overnight – we are starting with the basics, room condition and staff training, and are beginning to address other improvement areas. We are especially grateful that you recognized our efforts with positive comments about our rooms and staff. Please be assured that we are working to improve in other areas (physical plant, general aesthetics, etc).

We welcome you to stay with us again if you are in the area.

Thank you for your review.