Quality Inn South Bend
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Econo Lodge(South Bend)
View Hotel
All reviewsroom was cleannotre damean older hotelbed frametub showerappeared cleanfollowing morningfront desk employeeswaffle makergreat weekendexcellent stayconvenient locationwould stay againrefinishingcerealcampusinns
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 5 August 2014

Room seemed clean and the bed was comfortable. The huge disappointment was realizing the walls are paper thin. You can also hear everything going on in the hallway as well.
The party next door was a hoot, lots of slamming doors, and entertainment included-singing 3am! Contacted front desk first at midnight, and was informed other guests also complained. Obviously there is no security staffed during the evening hours or anytime at this hotel.
Front desk person was courteous, and apologetic, but response was limited and not very effective so the party continued til the guests passed out.

Turned out to be an exhausting night and was thrilled to finally leave.

The breakfast looked pretty disgusting

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
southbendin, General Manager at Quality Inn South Bend, responded to this reviewResponded 10 September 2014

Quality Inn

Corridor Cleanliness - Terrible
Pool Cleanliness - Good
Hot Tub Cleanliness - Terrible
Internet (free) - Terrible

I will preface that I'm high maintenance with regards to hotels and the service industry :)

Room Size - Good: The room was surprisingly larger than I had anticipated (I went into this experience expecting the worst). We took our 3 month old to meet his grandma for the first time (she is disabled) and a pack and play fit comfortably in our room with plenty of room for our stuff, the ability to walk around, able to put a play-mat down and have a full size stroller (folded). Good size room for our needs. My uncle who stayed in another room was able to have him, his wife and his adult son (on a cot-like bed... nearly a twin size bed from what they said) with plenty of room for the three of them to move around.

Linen Cleanliness - Good: No noticeable stains; smelled fresh and clean. Mattress protector was slightly torn in the corners but had no noticeable stains and the sheets covered this completely.

Mattress Cleanliness - Acceptable: No noticeable stains.

Bed Bugs - No: There were not bed bugs upon my inspection. Though there were no bed bugs, I would've liked to have seen a bed-bug protector on the mattress and the box spring. Please take note management.

Bathroom Cleanliness - Acceptable: Though it was cleaned sufficiently, around the seams along the wall there was some build-up that needed some elbow-grease to get it acceptable. This was not visible unless you looked under the edge of it (actually bed down) and would not be touching a person in any way (hence the still acceptable rating). The shower curtain was a white fabric-like kind with no noticeable stains or build-up. I felt comfortable enough to give my 3-month-old a bath in it after the pool.

Bathroom Products - Not acceptable: I have naturally oily skin and this stuff dried my skin out after using it. I know it must be hard to get a single product that will suit all skin types, but if oil skin becomes dried out, I can only imagine what it would do to dry skin. Bring your own bath products if you stay at this place.

Room Cleanliness - Good: No Noticeable stains or weird smells. Basic cosmetic wear on stuff, but still cleaned well. Management stated in a response to one of the reviewers that only certain rooms are blocked off for pets... not all rooms. I had confirmation from an employee that ALL Rooms are pet-friendly, but they clean them thoroughly. I appreciate this persons honesty and do agree that rooms are cleaned well. It should also be noted that cats are allowed. I mention this because my uncle who is highly allergic ('end up in the hospital' kind of highly allergic) and he was comfortable in his room.

Noise level - Not good: I took another reviewers advice and brought ear plugs. Thank goodness I did. I'm a very light sleeper and this is my analysis of the noise level. Even with ear plugs, I heard plenty of noise. I was woken up by someone in the room next to me at 2:30am with loud talking with the ear plugs in. During the day i could hear other neighbors talking but it was more of a Charlie Brown adult conversation... you could tell they were talking but couldn't make out the words. Any sleep I got was solely due to the ear plugs. Bring yours and it won't be to bad.

Bed Comfort - Acceptable: It is a pillow top mattress but it is a firm mattress with the pillow top layer on it. I have a sensitive back, so i had discomfort but my mother and her friend (who are really over weight) loved the comfort of the beds, uncle seemed to be indifferent, husband didn't care. So if you don't have a bad back, then the mattresses will likely be fine.

Food - Acceptable: Lots of carbs... nothing new for a hotel breakfast. There was biscuits and gravy everyday, very little fruit, yogurt, hard boiled eggs, oatmeal (instant but really tasty), various breads, muffins and pastries. I was pleasantly surprised on Friday morning when I went and they had these egg things and sausages too... they were awesome. Then came Saturday where they had the same things but they ran out of sausage more than a half hour before breakfast was to be finished. I notified the staff and pretty much she said, 'well I only made two trays so that all there is'. Really!?! These were the heat and serve kind of sausages... go in the back and make more... there's still a half hour left and there is still people in line for food! Terrible response to a simple solution. I can understand miscalculations (though with that many people at the hotel, you would've thought they would've anticipated a lot being eaten but whatever) but fix the problem when you see you've made an error. Then comes Sunday... no eggs OR Sausage... that was pretty much all I could eat off their spread due to my special dietary needs and they didn't even bother making it for who knows what reason. But lets take it a step further... again, a half hour before breakfast was to be finished, they decided to not refill (this time the waffle mix which is a standard breakfast item for them) when notified. I was able to barely get enough to make one waffle for my disable mother (but was able to by tilting the container of waffle mix. I notified the staff that they were out (there were at least 4 people in line behind me with a half hour left for breakfast) and she said oh. She went in the back and I waited since there were other people in our party looking to make a waffle for breakfast. She comes out twice... once to check on the fruit and pastries (which were fine and nobody had inquired about a refill)... and once to talk and laugh with another employee. When I saw the laughing and chatting, I went and notified her again that there were other people still waiting for waffle mix... she said, 'oh, I put some out, it must've been used'. Uh, no... don't lie to me... I've been watching so other people in my group can get breakfast and nobody else waiting (in other groups) have been up to make theirs... nobody has made any! At this point twenty minutes had passed (only 10 minutes left for breakfast) and she went in back and within a minute brought out mix... really!?! It was made and it wasn't brought out? Not sure if its a lazy employee or if its an employee following management's directions on how to save the hotel money... you can be the judge for yourself. When there is food, its sufficient though don't expect consistency or food in the last half hour of breakfast for that matter. Just don't expect much, period.

Staff - Great: With the exception of the breakfast staff, everyone else bent over backwards to make it a pleasant stay. I requested a room far away from everything (since we had a 3-month-old) and they provided it. When I discovered how big the hotel was, I had to ask for something closer (since carting a newborn and all the things that come with one can be a feat) and they were able to accommodate that request too. Whenever I needed something, housekeeping was thorough and quick to fulfill the request. They were wonderful! The one bad employee (or following bad advice) doesn't take away from the fact that as a whole, all other employees were great! I gave an extra star because of the service.

Corridor Cleanliness - Terrible: Stains...big ones in the halls.

Pool Cleanliness - Good: No noticeable debris or floating stuff.

Hot Tub Cleanliness - Terrible: Yikes! Never seen a worse hot tub with regard to the sludge floating on top of the water. Think lake sludge and you've got an idea.

Free Internet - Yes: Though my husband had to work one of the days and had to go up the road because the internet was inconsistent and unreliable.

If I wasn't so high maintenance (or if I was really financially strapped), I'd bring my ear plugs, own bathing products and be up early for a decent breakfast in order to stay here again (based on the service and cleanliness of the rooms alone). Alas, I am high maintenance so my sleep, comfort and belly would win out and I'd go elsewhere.

The Chinese food next door was amazing! Some of the best I've had in a long time... may very well be my new favorite!

Room Tip: All rooms are going to be noisy (the slamming doors alone... no way around it). If you need easy access to the food, hot water, 24 hour coffee, breakfast area... then ask for a room close to the lobby. If you won't need that, then one of the far rooms might minimize traffic in the halls since they have access to other areas of the hotel from entrances off of the parking lot. We stayed in a room close to the lobby and it helped (especially when loading and unloading luggage associated with a little one).
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family

Quality Inn
574-277-3211

Reviewed 7 July 2014

Oh cool, the toilet paper is folded into cute little triangles. Gee I think I would rather have the pubes cleaned off the toilet instead. The bathtub was filthy & the carpets were obviously not vacuumed. Which led me to believe the sheets weren't washed because there was a bunch of schmutz when I pulled back the covers. Good location & nice coffee in the morning - but that's all they had going for them. You get what you pay for I guess. Love, Room 125

• Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank binkystinky
southbendin, General Manager at Quality Inn South Bend, responded to this reviewResponded 17 July 2014

Dear Valued Guest,

Please allow me an opportunity to introduce myself; my name is
Bob Strozewski and I am the General Manager at the Quality Inn of South Bend, Indiana
. First and foremost, I'd like to sincerely apologize for the inconvenience you experienced during your recent stay at my property. We strive to service our guest and especially our loyal
guest such as yourself and on this occasion we did not exceed
your basic expectation; with that being said I would like to extend an invitation to you
and your family to stay with us the next time your travel should bring you to
the the South Bend area. At such time if you can be so kind as to contact me directly I
will personally ensure that your stay is VIP; I will extend a preferred rate /
complimentary upgrade to a Jacuzzi room to enhance your stay.
I look forward in hearing from you and having the opportunity to
have you back as a guest of ours.

Regards,
Bob Strozewski,

Reviewed 23 June 2014

Pet friendly = room smelled like a kennel of dirty wet dogs. Room was located near an exit. We heard the doors of the building slam repeatedly all morning. We checked out a day early & very exhausted.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank TwofromChicago
southbendin, General Manager at Quality Inn South Bend, responded to this reviewResponded 25 June 2014

Dear Valued Guest.
I would like to take this opportunity to apologize for the less than perfect stay during your recent visit to South Bend. Yes, we are 100% a pet friendly hotel serving family, and their devoted pets, we have always sectioned off a portion of the hotel just for those guest wishing to bring their four legged companions when they travel to our area.
Each of my team members strive daily to " Welcome" each person " Home" as well as take any issue presented to heart.. ensuring our guest stay is pleasant, as well as hopful on thrie return next time they lodging in South Bend.

Reviewed 11 June 2014 via mobile

The hotel was more than adequate. Clean room, good tv, hot shower, etc. But the thing that impressed me the most was their service in the morning. There were two busses of tourists staying here, and they ALL converged on the breakfast room simultaneously. It was pandemonium, but the hotel staff kept everything stocked, and clean. I was very impressed with their service.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
southbendin, General Manager at Quality Inn South Bend, responded to this reviewResponded 12 June 2014

Thank you for your feedback and for taking the time to write about your experience at The Quality Inn of South Bend . We are delighted to read that you enjoyed our staff's excellent "Yes, I Can" service. On behalf of our entire staff, we are looking forward to your next stay!

We appreciate your loyalty. :)