“Good renovation, good service”
Review of Morris Inn

Morris Inn
Ranked #1 of 29 Hotels in South Bend
GreenLeadersGold level
Loyola, CA
“Good renovation, good service”
Reviewed 25 November 2013 via mobile

The Morris Inn is now a good hotel. The rooms are contemporary, bright and comfortable. The bathrooms are spacious, functional and quite lovely. The service is still the same friendly, Midwest, helpful operation. There are now more reasons to stay here than just the campus location near the stadium. I've been here twice since it reopened and enjoy it. They took one step backward. Before the remodel guests used one of two students gyms for exercise. Now two tiny poorly equipped rooms are the fitness offering. The ceilings are low and there is no space for stretching or dynamic movement. One problem remains from before the remodel. They have an awful wine list. Or a list of awful wines. It is a beer and whiskey crowd but it does not appear that much thought has been put into the wine program. The staffs in Sorin's and Rohr's are not at all knowledgeable and --in fairness-- the selections are not that attractive anyway. This should be easy to fix.

Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
Kelly H, Guest Relations Manager at Morris Inn, responded to this review, 30 December 2013
Dear TP- We appreciate you taking the time to review the Morris Inn! I’m glad you found the rooms, bathrooms, service and location all good reasons to stay with us. However I understand you are disappointed in the size of the fitness room. During your next visit please allow me see if we can better accommodate your needs with one of the many exercise facilities on campus. Also, we offer seasonally changing menus and fine wines. Our wine list contains selections from many of the most recognized wineries in the world and many come from wineries that are home to graduates of Notre Dame. Each month wine dinners feature an esteemed alumnus from one of these wineries. We welcome the opportunity to share their unique stories variety of great wines with you on your next visit. Again, thank you for your review and time and we look forward to seeing you in 2014. Safe Travels! Kelly

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
MN
Reviewed 24 November 2013

We were very impressed with the staff during our recent stay! The hotel was beautiful and the room itself (a suite) was quite spacious. Room service provided better than average meals and much quicker than average response time. Loved that we had the option to open the windows for fresh air.

Couple of cons - our room had a very loud fan in the living area that would simply not turn off. We were told it sometimes happens in a couple of the rooms and replacing the system is being looked into (thought this hotel just went through a major remodel??). Smaller complaint was the quality of the towels - like sandpaper. But the worst con was that the linens in the sofa bed were obviously not changed from the last guests, which eliminated this as a place for my son to sleep. I don't doubt housekeeping would have remedied the situation immediately had we called, it was so late in the evening when it was discovered that my son opted to close the sofa bed and just sleep on the couch. Not what I'd expect when paying a very high price for a suite in an otherwise high end hotel.

But understanding that these things sometimes happen, I'd still return again to The Morris Inn on a return trip to campus.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
Hello MarieB1196- Thank you for taking time to review the Morris Inn! I’m so glad you found our staff and room service impressive! Your comment on the beautiful spacious rooms with windows that open was also appreciated. I was sorry to learn about the loud fan, rough towels and unchanged linens on the sofa bed but happy you brought this to our attention. We are working with a source to reduce the fan noise as we hope to have this issue resolved even though it may require replacing the system. As well, our team in housekeeping has been provided the tools necessary to ensure the linens on the sofa bed are changed regularly and that the towels are soft. Again we appreciate your feedback and look forward to seeing you in 2014 back at the Morris Inn!-Safe Travels! Kelly
Gilberts, IL
Reviewed 18 November 2013

I had the pleasure of staying at the Morris Inn for a conference last week. I have stayed at other campus hotels for conferences, so my expectations were not set too high. Upon check-in my expectations were blown away! I was greeted by a very friendly and warm bell hop asking if I needed help with my luggage. I politely declined and proceeded to check-in. The process was very smooth and efficient. I had my room key and was off in less than 2 minutes.

Upon entering my room I quickly discovered that this was no ordinary campus hotel room. This was more along the lines of a Westin property. Each room has a complimentary iPad for the guest to use. Upon start up the iPad was customized to welcome me personally. There was information on the hotel as well as things to do in the area and restaurants to eat at. The room was nicely decorated and each had a fairly large flat screen TV in the room. There is complimentary WiFi for each guest which covers pretty much the entire campus. There are snacks available in the room and I must admit the prices were fairly reasonable!

The bathrooms were very nice! The showers are spacious! The only complaint I would have is that since each shower had glass doors there is a small gap between the door and the fixed pane of glass. It was just enough to allow the shower water to splash through, so if you do not put anything on the floor you will be greeted with a nice sized puddle upon exiting the shower!

My only complaint is the valet parking. I know they will tell you that there is free parking just a short 5 minute walk from the hotel, but there is more than enough parking for the hotel guests in the parking lot right next to the property. From what I could see there was no reason to make this parking lot valet other than making more money off of their guests. Coming from the Chicago area $15 was very reasonable, I equate valet parking with limited availability in parking...I did not see that here.

If you are visiting Notre Dame and need a nice place to stay close to campus this place is awesome!! However, I would have given this property 4.5 stars if Trip Advisor would provide that option due to the unnecessary valet parking.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Hello Scott B! Thank you for your review of the Morris Inn! I’m glad to hear that we exceeded your expectations upon your arrival with our friendly Bell staff and smooth and efficient front desk associates. I’m also glad to hear that we are unlike other campus hotels! The iPad in the room with the personal welcome, variety of campus and local information available, reasonably priced in room snacks, free WiFi, and large flat screen TV are common to AAA rated 4 diamond hotels. We received this award shortly after we opened and largely due to our incredible service and outstanding amenities. The bathrooms are nice and spacious and I’m happy to report that the gap between the door and glass that you commented on has been repaired! Valet parking is offered as we only have 100 spaces in the lot next to us and yet we need to accommodate potentially over a thousand guest between the hotel, restaurants, and events every night. We truly appreciate your comments and hope to see you at the Morris Inn again soon! -Safe Travels! Kelly
Lake Station, Indiana, United States
Reviewed 24 October 2013

Stayed at the Morris Inn overnight for a 2-day work conference. We were able to check in early and the room was amazing! Clean and spacious, upscale amenities. Really enjoyed the extra large shower and the extra soft bedding. Would have enjoyed having a microwave available, at least in lobby, if not in room. Enjoyed "borrowing" the luxury bath robe during my stay and the large flat-screen TV, but would have enjoyed having a movie channel or two, rather than just cable. Staff was wonderfully helpful and attentive. Enjoyed my stay, immensely. Would love to make a return trip soon!

• Stayed October 2013
Minneapolis, MN
Reviewed 22 October 2013

Staying at the new and improved Morris Inn is like staying in a members only club. But, in this case the only membership you need is a hotel reservation.

Everything is exactly what it should be for an on campus experience. It has an Ivy League feel throughout the property while still having a relaxed and casual atmosphere.

The front desk service is top notch, however housekeeping and room service requires some additional tweeking. The Inn was only open for a few weeks so I figured it was to be expected as they continue to work out the bugs during the first 30 days.

Here's a few examples of what I mean...

Room service-
Breakfast is available starting at 6am. I called at 6:15am to have a bowl of oatmeal and orange juice delivered. I couldn't find a number in the directory for room service, so I dialed zero with the assumption I would be connected. The operator answered and told me she would take my order!?!!? Ok, so I gave her my order but I had a few questions. She wasn't sure, so she said she would find out and call me back. No phone call and no delivery by 7:30am. So, I decided to head down to Sorin's for Breakfast instead as I had a meeting starting at 8am. Unfortunately, my Sorin's experience wasn't any better. No host at the entrance to greet me, so I took an open table. At that time only three tables had patrons. It appeared they were understaffed as the hostess and waitress were running back and forth from the kitchen, but during that time no one appeared to be interested that I was there. It took 10 mins for the hostess to greet me and have the waitress take my order. Luckily it was only breakfast and I received my order and paid in less than 15 minutes.

Housekeeping-
The staff made up the room while I was out. But, it didn't appear that way when I first walked into the room. My bed wasn't remade, they simply pulled back the covers and rearranged the pillows. I was expecting the bed to be remade like it was when I first walked into the room the day I checked-in. The duvet was smooth, nicely folded and pillows fluffed, nicely arranged and stacked. The TV remote would be back in its holder, but it was where I last left it on the side chair. Other hotels I've stayed at in the past put everything back into its usual place during the process of cleaning the room. Again, these are just observations and not something I would interpret as bad service. But, it is a higher end hotel where you expect to pay a premium for service.

The room furnishing and styling was warm and welcoming. The bed was extremely comfortable and the large 42" LCD TV was unexpected. However, the bathroom was my favorite feature of the new rooms. Large five foot tiled shower and adult height vanity. Nice!

One night I ate dinner at Sorin's restaurant. My experience with dinner was much better than breakfast. I had the pumpkin Risotto, with a side salad that included Maytag blue cheese crumbles and finished it off with an apple turnover for desert. The food and service was great.

Overall a great hotel and would recommend staying here anytime you visit Notre Dame. The on campus location makes it perfect spot for any campus visit.

Jacksonville, Florida
Reviewed 14 October 2013

This hotel is in the central part of the Notre Dame campus, steps away from the Visitors Center, Art Museum, Conference Center, Football stadium, and just about everything else "Irish." The Inn has recently undergone total renovation. The staff was outstanding in all respects, the rooms fresh and clean, the food in the restaurants excellent, and the location was ideal. The hotel even emailed me a few days in advance to ask if I had any special needs/desires, and was able to get me the flat pillows in the room that I really like when travelling. Checkout was a breeze... Now if they only had a free shuttle to/from the airport, they'd be pretty close to perfect!

Room Tip: I like the western view from our room over the patio behind the hotel. Very quiet and peaceful.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Kelly H, Guest Relations Manager at Morris Inn, responded to this review, 19 November 2013
Hello Artairman! Thank you for taking the time to review our lovely hotel! We do have the perfect location and I’m glad to hear you found it perfect for your needs while visiting campus. We are especially proud of our staff as that is truly what makes us Notre Dame unique! Your request for a shuttle is understandable. Currently we have several cab services that we work with to get you to and from the airport as speedy as possible. So happy to hear you enjoyed your visit and looking forward to seeing you back at the Morris Inn soon! Safe Travels! Kelly
Greenville, South Carolina
Reviewed 10 October 2013

We recently stayed in the Morris Inn on the campus of Notre Dame and we were absolutely blown away by the renovations. I caught my breath in delight when we walked into the main lobby. It is light and airy and tasteful and elegant with shades of blue and gold set off against floors and walls of ivory. Our room and bathroom were spacious and elegant with our own personal Ipad--a feature I've never encountered in any other hotel. However, the best part of the hotel (besides its location in the middle of Notre Dame's beautiful campus!) was the outdoor patio. We spent a lovely, perfect evening by the fire pit sitting on the comfortable, upholstered chairs and drinking wine with friends. When we checked in, the bell hop told us that the hotel had recently received a "Four Star Rating" and, although we're not sure which organization bestowed this honor, my husband and I both agreed that the hotel was worth every star and more.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Hi Daesteh! We are so happy that you found the new renovation stunning! We are all very excited about the changes here at the Morris Inn. The Fireside Terrace was dedicated last month as The Wind Family Fireside Terrace and will continue to be a favorite space here for years to come. We also received the Four Diamond award from AAA last month, which I believe is what you were referring to. Please return soon as i think you'll find that the Inn looks beautiful for the Christmas season as well! Safe Travels!