“A Great Stay: Comfortable, Elegant, Friendly.”
Review of Morris Inn

Morris Inn
Ranked #1 of 29 Hotels in South Bend
GreenLeadersGold level
New Jersey
“A Great Stay: Comfortable, Elegant, Friendly.”
Reviewed 21 February 2014

An excellent quality hotel. Very comfortable. Great service. This is the best choice when visiting the University of Notre Dame, if you can get a reservation! The only meal we had at the hotel was breakfast and it was excellent. It's all new inside and out. They did a great job!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank susana820
Kelly H, Guest Relations Manager at Morris Inn, responded to this review, 23 February 2014
Hi Susan A! Thank you for taking the time to review the Morris Inn on the campus of Notre Dame. I’m glad to hear you found your visit to be comfortable, elegant and friendly! Breakfast at Sorin’s is a great way to start the day and next time I hope you can join us for dinner too! Safe Travels!- Kelly

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Reviewed 20 February 2014

Check in is not until 4PM. We called ahead at 145PM and asked if they could move this up. We had also put on our original preferences for a crib and reminded them. Someone named Liam stated he would put a rush on cleaning and call us back. No Call. So we hang out with family and arrive at 4PM with wound up 13mo old. No room yet sir. Valet Parking will be $15 per night added to your bill and then hand extends for tip. 40 minutes of entertaining said 1yo in lobby and room is ready and we are told "crib is already there" two times. No crib. Back down to head out (we remind them Again that we need that crib)and valets are completely overwhelmed by very little business and it would have taken less time to walk to the Bookstore BK1 lot where parking is free. I knew this was supposed to be an option and asked at valet desk while we waited if we could needed a hang tag or anything for this. Blank Stare "I would not know anything about that sir". We come back and valets are again overwhelmed with long line so I do park in BK1 and take short walk over. I hand in my valet tag at front desk and state that I choose to self park. "You will need to make use that you get a yellow hang tag at the valet desk sir or they may ticket your car". Picture a huge down poor of cold rain because that is what I had actually just ran through. Oh, and the crib still is not there.

If you think this is an isolated incident then please consider that my brother had an identical experience just hours later. This was a Thursday afternoon/evening in February. Just imagine how bad this will be on a Football Friday if something does not change....soon!

To be fair, our presidential suite on the 4th floor was really sweet. I come from three generations of ND graduates and love this school, but I think you can do better elsewhere for housing unless it is critical to be right on campus. I may add an addendum if the wedding reception we go to has the same poor service as the hotel. And yes, I had to look up obsequious in an online dictionary since it was another family member who used the term.

Room Tip: 4th floor suites are worth every penny if you must stay here
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Orthodromic
JoeKurth, General Manager at Morris Inn, responded to this review, 25 February 2014
Dear Orthodromic,
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay, and share your frustration with your visit.
I appreciate the details regarding your arrival experience, and apologize for our inability to react quickly to the poor weather conditions with our valet team, and for the unacceptable delays in meeting a request for an earlier arrival, and multiple requests for a crib to be waiting in your room.
I also appreciate your positive comments on the layout and comfort of the room itself, and am embarrassed we did not leave you with a feeling of genuine service in keeping with the spirit of Notre Dame.
I would welcome the opportunity to speak with your personally if your schedule permits. My direct line is 574-631-2023, and if it is more convenient to pre-schedule a time you are available my email address is jkurth@nd.edu.
Your support of Notre Dame including three generations is certainly appreciated, and I look forward to connecting very soon to work to rebuild your trust within the Morris Inn.
Joe Kurth
Zionsville, Indiana, United States
Reviewed 16 February 2014 via mobile

We enjoyed two nights at the newly renovated Morris Inn during a Notre Dame weekend event. The entire stay was very enjoyable. A great school and campus now has a great hotel. The staff were friendly and very helpful. Our room with a king bed was quite comfortable with a nice large shower and bathroom, free wifi and even an iPad in the room. The bar Rohrs was a hub of activity in the evenings and the lobby was filled with guests having a nice time. The location is very convenient for campus activities. Despite what must have been a full house, the staff was very friendly and getting in and out of the hotel was easy and quick. If rooms are available, this would be our preferred place to stay during campus visits.

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MJN63
Kelly H, Guest Relations Manager at Morris Inn, responded to this review, 19 February 2014
Hello MJN63! I’m so glad you enjoyed your stay at the Morris Inn! Our friendly staff, quiet and comfortable beds, and free wifi are all great reasons to return. We have been very busy and have met a lot of new friends during the Sorin’s grand reopening and wine dinner events. We hope you can join us next time you travel to Notre Dame!
Safe travels!- Kelly
Hamilton, Indiana
Reviewed 12 January 2014

Upon arriving on the Notre Dame campus, we were greater by several Morris Inn employees to offer help with luggage, our car and our check in. The newly remodeled inn is beautiful and elegant. Our check in was very smooth. We even had a manager help us to the elevator and our floor. After checking in to a beautiful room and making a quick jaunt to the book store, we settled into the inn bar for a glass of wine. The bartender was attentive and offered good wine selections. When our family arrived, we moved to the children friendly area of the tavern and had a snack an beverage. The service was outstanding. In the AM, we enjoyed complimentary coffee from our in room Keurig coffee maker. We also had coffee in the lobby when we came back from morning mass at the Basilica. Checkout was speedy and our car was waiting when we walked out the door. There was a home hockey game that we attended, but no other sporting event while we were there. I would stay at the inn again in a heart beat. It is expensive, but quite a lovely stay.

Room Tip: There is no pool.
Green Features: I like that there was a recycle basket in our room!
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
Kelly H, Guest Relations Manager at Morris Inn, responded to this review, 14 January 2014
Hello albatros1052! Thank you for your feedback! Our helpful staff, great wine list and family friendly tavern are all great reasons to return to the Morris Inn on the campus of Notre Dame! Watch for our upscale restaurant, Sorin’s, to reopen in February with a new look and menu just in time for Fr. Sorin’s 200th birthday. Looking forward to seeing you back on campus soon! Safe travels! Kelly
Sturgis, South Dakota
Reviewed 8 January 2014 via mobile

The Morris Inn is like brand new with old character. Located on Notre Dame campus just steps from the bookstore, Basilica, and stadiums...this is the perfect place to stay when visiting Notre Dame. The rooms are very clean and updated but with great "old" ND charm. Employees are excellent, so helpful and polite. We can't wait to stay again.

• Stayed January 2014
Kelly H, Guest Relations Manager at Morris Inn, responded to this review, 10 January 2014
Hello SturgisTraveler! I’m so glad you enjoyed your stay with us! We are all very excited about the Morris Inn remodel and the opportunities it brings to meet new family and friends of Notre Dame! Our location is fantastic and I’m glad to hear you like the ‘old’ ND charm. We have a lot more enhancement coming in 2014 so look forward to seeing you back again soon! Safe Travels! Kelly
Mapleton, Utah
Reviewed 19 December 2013

The Morris inn was recently renovated and completed in August 2013. It is a beautiful hotel right in the center of Notre Dame Campus. It is only about 5 minutes walking distance from the stadium and about 5 minutes from anywhere on campus. The room rate was very reasonable and the overall experience was exceptional. There was valet parking and the staff were incredibly helpful and kind. We ate one of our meals in the restaurant at the Morris and it too was superb. I would rate this as one of my best hotel experiences in the past year (I travel about 45 days a year). I didn't see much to do in the city of South Bend and there didn't appear to be any other hotels nearby. The hotel fills up quickly for football game days. The hotel offered free internet, which worked very good for me. The rooms were also quite spacious and the bathroom was extremely clean and nice. I would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: The rooms on the second and third floors were quieter. One of my colleagues stayed on the first floo...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
Kelly H, Guest Relations Manager at Morris Inn, responded to this review, 30 December 2013
Thank you for your review! I'm glad you found beautiful Morris Inn friendly and convenient. Please stop by for a visit in 2014 as we will continue to make improvements to our guest and dining experience that you won't want to miss!
Cary, North Carolina, United States
Reviewed 28 November 2013

November 16, 2013 - I was one of the presenters and guest of Dean of Science, Greg Crawford at The University of Notre Dame, South Bend, Indiana - SC 53320: Diversity, Culture, Religion, in Science. The Morris Inn is located on campus and within walking distance to Jordan Hall where the class was held. Outstanding room, excellent restaurant and the staff very warm, friendly and courteous. Spacious room and very large bath and shower area. I would imagine this is the place to stay during Notre Dame football weekends

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Hello Fields J-Thank you for choosing the Morris Inn! We look forward to seeing you here again in 2014 as we continue our commitment to bringing you the ‘Highest degree in Hospitality’- Safe Travels! Kelly