“Best in South Bend...by far.”
Review of Morris Inn

Morris Inn
Ranked #1 of 30 Hotels in South Bend
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 14 April 2014

The Morris Inn got a major face lift and they did an excellent job. I don't know when the reformation project was completed, but the place is brand new. As such, it has all the great amenities that you want: excellent (free) wifi, good plumbing, ipad in the room, good HD TVs, soundproofing in rooms, etc, etc. It is definitely a business-style hotel.

They have a great bar that is open late. The restaurant was good too. The location on the Notre Dame campus is also fantastic if you are visiting the University.

Service was incredibly friendly and always willing to help.

If I have to point out some areas for improvement: 1) I thought the decoration was a bit over the top, 2) the health facilities were very limited and 3) the laundry service slow (all shirt/suit pressing is done off site and as such, you cannot get a 1 hour turnaround if you need it...as I did).

Having said all of this, the Morris Inn wouldn't be a five star in New York, but in South Bend it is. Considering the price, I cannot remember a better hotel value in the last 5 years.

Now I need to figure out how I can get in here on a football weekend!

Was this helpful? Please let me know.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
3  Thank Knownews
Kelly H, Guest Relations Manager at Morris Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 26 May 2014

Hi Knownews! Thank you for your review of the Morris Inn! You’ll be happy to hear our new summer menu is out for Sorin’s and Rohr’s and that the Fireside Terrace is open for the summer! Finally summer is here in South Bend!
To address a few points of improvement: health and fitness facilities, including Olympic size pool, tennis courts, and indoor track are available across campus so please let us know how you can take advantage of them on your next visit. We currently have a next day policy for laundry and are working to provide guest with other options as well.
I hope this helps! We are very proud to be the only 4 diamond hotel in all of Northern Indiana! Please come back and visit us soon! Safe Travels- Kelly

Reviewed 12 April 2014

We were here for a wedding but I think the level of service would be the same. The room was spacious, with many details adding to a comfortable stay- bathrobes, quality toiletries, a courtesy iPad for in room use. Staff super -friendly and offered more help than you'd ever want. There is valet parking for a fee but also easy to reach free lot. We had breakfast there each morning with ample selections including healthy choices. Gym is not much to speak of but campus facilities available if you want

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank BarbaraAnn_22
Kelly H, General Manager at Morris Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 26 May 2014

Thank you for your review BarbaraAnn_22! I'm so glad you enjoyed your experience at the Morris Inn! We also just completed the first phase of the concourse remodel. The murals depict Notre Dame campus thru the seasons. Don’t miss the opportunity to check it out next time you visit! Safe Travels- Kelly

Reviewed 5 April 2014

I am a parent of 2 Notre Dame students and I am on campus at least 8 times a year for various activities. This schedule will continue at least 4 more years. I have stayed at the Morris Inn a few times, the first before the renovations took place. Prior to the renovations, there was a parents club which afforded a discount on rooms. There was also free parking for inn guests at the adjacent parking lot. Both were discontinued after the renovations.

My first stay after renovations was the end of August for my son’s birthday. As a Sorin’ Society Member, I was to receive a discount on the room rate which I was told at check-in was no longer being honored. Again, the parent program was also discontinued. I was also informed that the adjacent parking lot was now paid valet parking only. As I would be using my rental car numerous times throughout the day and not prepared to tip a valet each time, I opted for the “free” parking at the bookstore. I stayed a Wednesday and Thursday evening checking out Friday before the “football weekend”. I had an 8:00 PM flight that was delayed due to weather in Chicago. At midnight the airline informed us we could stay in South Bend overnight or stay overnight in Chicago as all connecting flights out of Chicago were canceled. The airlines would not be paying for the overnight stay due to the weather. I opted to stay in South Bend and was rebooked for an early flight the next morning. I called the Morris Inn shortly after midnight and explained that I had stayed there the previous 2 nights and that my flight had been canceled and I would be leaving early the next morning. I was told “no problem, we have plenty of rooms”. I then inquired on the room rate and was told the room I paid $140 for the prior evenings would be $499. Again, I told them I was not there for the football game and would be leaving early, but I was told there was nothing they could do about the rate even though Morris Inn had plenty of rooms after midnight. Where’s the family? A parent with 2 students at Notre Dame, it was midnight and there was not a thing they could do to help me.

Another unpleasant encounter happened recently when approached the front desk personally one afternoon for future reservations. I had already secured reservations months prior for a six night stay and I needed to extend my stay by another six evenings. I had checked online prior and knew there were plenty of rooms available for the dates I needed; I just wanted to combine the reservations and to inquire again about Sorin’ Society rates. I approached Paula at the front desk and first asked for a calendar so that I could tell her the dates I needed. She informed me she did not have a calendar nor did she offer to find one. I then provided her with the dates after some thought. I was told by Paula that the dates I requested were sold-out. When I told her I just had checked online and there was availability, she told me again, no rooms were available. I then inquired about receiving the Sorin’ Society rate for my upcoming reservation and was again told, that program had ended. I then proceeded to go back to my room and book the dates I needed online, Paula said were sold-out, with the hope that I do not need to change rooms when I check-in. I have recently checked with a neighboring hotel, The Inn at Saint Mary’s regarding my future 12 night stay. I was offered a Notre Dame Parent discount and free parking, as well as breakfast. The two room suite ranges from $50 to $100 less PER night due to The Morris Inn fluctuating rates during that 12 night period. Granted the suite is not as updated as The Morris Inn, but I do feel like family at The Inn at Saint Mary’s.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
5  Thank Traveler770r
JoeKurth, General Manager at Morris Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 7 April 2014

Dear pizzaman109,
Thank you for your support of Notre Dame, and for the opportunity to serve you during several campus visits over the past months and hopefully for many more in the years to come with your two children on campus.
I appreciate you sharing the specifics on your recent visits, and wanted to be sure to share the latest information on the ND parents program, with complete information available at parents.nd.edu . We will continue to support this key program, and have replaced the previous smaller hotel-only program with participation in the University wide program to remove any confusion between the two. We do share periodic special advertising in the parents newsletter and on this website and encourage you to continue to visit it often.
I also wanted to apologize for any frustration with inconsistencies between rates and availability between our front desk and online. These two areas are designed to be accessing identical inventory, and I am sorry that your experience was not seamless. This is a key area of focus for us, and one that we will address immediately. In addition, the Sorin's Society membership benefit of 10% off our published room rate is indeed valid, and I apologize for any miscommunication within our team.
The Morris Inn renovation and expansion of 60 additional rooms and a new 300+ person ballroom with the existing parking lot has provided an opportunity to add Valet Parking at a nominal $15 per night in order to provide consistent service for the first and last arriving guest of the day. (Valet parking remains complimentary for with a visit to Sorin's, Rohr's or our Fireside Terrace for 2.5 hours) We continue to offer free parking in the BK1 parking lot adjacent to the Bookstore in order to protect the pedestrian experience for all at the center of campus for your convenience.
I welcome the opportunity to speak with you directly as well to personally address any additional concerns, and look forward to working to rebuild your trust and sense of family while on campus. My direct line is 574-631-2023, and email is jkurth@nd.edu.
Yours in Notre Dame,
Joe Kurth - Managing Director

Reviewed 3 April 2014

If you are visiting ND, you should make this your stay of choice. Even if your visit is to the South Bend area as opposed to ND, you should consider it. The remodeling/expansion exceeded my expectations. Personnel are very well trained and respond in a friendly, helpful manner. Bed and in room amenities are excellent.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
Kelly H, Guest Relations Manager at Morris Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 7 April 2014

NJTraveler20! Thank you for the kind review! We are so glad that you found our location, remodeling, and personnel exceeding your expectations. We strive to deliver a higher degree of hospitality every day! Hope to see you back at the Morris Inn soon! Safe travels- Kelly

Reviewed 2 April 2014

I stayed at the Morris Inn recently and as a former employee of Walt Disney World, I truly appreciated the exceptional service. The food at both restaurants Sorins and Rohrs was delicious. All of interactions with the personnel was warm and the service attentive. Rooms come equipped with all the amenities included a variety of pillows, thick and fluffy towels and an in-room ipad for guest use. It's centrally located on the Notre Dame campus and an easy walk to the new Eddy Street shops. I don't believe it had a swimming pool but it did have a nicely appointed exercise room.

Room Tip: I think all the rooms are fine.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
Kelly H, Guest Relations Manager at Morris Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 8 April 2014

Thank you for your review Elizabeth D! I’m glad you had a chance to dine with us. As you may know, Sorin’s recently won the People’s Choice Award for our Pork Belly with wasabi cream, a peppadew stuffed with boursin and crostini with brie and truffle. Yummy! See you back at the Morris Inn and Sorin’s soon! Safe travels- Kelly

Reviewed 31 March 2014

This property has recently been completely redone- wonderful accommodations, quiet comfortable room, iPad and Keurig in-room and friendly staff including valet parking onsite. Steps to the Basilica and close to all amenities, food, conference services and view of the Dome.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business

We appreciate your review GlennaM! Thank you for recognizing our green efforts! Safe Travels-Kelly

Reviewed 14 March 2014

At the end of the day, there are three things that matter in a hotel: cleanliness, comfort, and location. The new Morris Inn has all three and then some. Located in the middle of ND campus, you are literally a minute walk away from the stadium, basilica, book store, golden dome, and all the other treasures ND has to offer (and if you are visiting South Bend, you are likely there to see Notre Dame). But more importantly, the rooms are not only very clean, but they are luxurious--from the iPad (loaded with a surprising amount of attractions near South Bend that aren't ND), hidden mini-fridge & keurig, surprises in the closet (golf umbrella, robes, etc.), and upscale ND decor. Maybe the best thing about the rooms, however, are the beds...they are the most comfortable beds I have slept on out of any hotel I have ever stayed! When coming to visit Notre Dame, there is no better, more comfortable place to lay your head than right in the heart of campus at the new Morris Inn.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
Kelly H, Guest Relations Manager at Morris Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 17 March 2014

Thank you for your review, Jason O! I’m so glad that you found our clean rooms, comfortable beds, room amenities and fantastic location all exceeding your expectations. We are very proud of what the South Bend community has to offer for our guests. While we are located in the heart of Notre Dame, the Morris Inn is also located in the heart of Northern Indiana, which offers a wide variety of activities for families, couples and business travelers to enjoy during their stay. Looking forward to seeing you back at the Morris Inn soon! Safe Travels- Kelly