“Very happy with this property”
Review of Oakwood Resort

Oakwood Resort
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Syracuse
Reviewed 9 December 2013

Decided on a last minute trip and found this property searching on tripadvisor. Didn't expect it to be as nice as it was. Rooms fresh and bright and clean. Probably helped I stayed in December because it was pretty quiet even though there were occupied rooms especially Saturday night. Lovely setting and had a nice view of the lake from my room. Did not eat any meals in the hotel so can't comment on that. My only complaint is that I couldn't adjust the temperature in the room. It was a bit on the low side although comfortable enough for sleeping. I did mention it and they said they would have maintenance look at it, but when I came back end of the first day, didn't look as though anything changed.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo

Reviewed 6 December 2013

I was visiting family in nearby North Webster Indiana over Thanksgiving 2013. The Oakwood Hotel came highly recommended from several family members. We stayed there Thanksgiving night and the following "Black Friday" night. The hotel was adequately clean and furnished but average in quality at best. The second night we stayed we had a rowdy male couple next to our room who decided to have a party at 3:30am.They were using extremely vulgar language and talking about their body parts and what they were going to do. I called down to the desk and the attendant who was aware of the noise "because he heard it" according to him came down and asked them to quiet down. The couple did quiet down at that poing. I understand the hotel had little to do with the couple being so disrespectful. However when I complained the manager and assistant manager the next morning they were unaware of any disturbance. They looked into the issue while I packed my car to leave. When I returned to the desk they failed to even acknowledge my presence so I ask "Did you find anything out from the night clerk". The manger's response: "Well, these things happen and our night clerk took care of it and we will Comp your room for the night." Although they had a rude and uncaring disposition to the complaint I appreciated them comping the room. If it had stayed there things would have been fine but then the manager said "Don't come here in the summertime, because this sort of thing happens all the time." Really!?! Thanks manager guy I won't come back in the summertime or any other season EVER! Keep this in mind if planning a summer trip. Great business practice manager guy!

Room Tip: Average facilities at best.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
6  Thank Bradley M
Reviewed 12 November 2013

My husband and I booked a room for one night to celebrate my Birthday. We were very happy with the clean room, the wonderfully comfortable bed, and beautiful lake views from our room. The sunrise over the lake on the morning of my Birthday was spectacular!! We chose to eat dinner the night before at the restaurant because of the daily special...1/2 Price Martinis and Appetizers...but that was the most disappointing part of the meal. Our server was prompt and friendly, but he didn't know what the daily special was. He returned from the kitchen 3 times with the wrong information. After we finally ordered, the seafood appetizers were not good. My husband's traditional Martini with olives was served with a slice of lime, which was repulsive to him! Our meals were tasty, but not impressive for the prices. The view of the lake during dinner was the best part of the evening! As always, my husband left a generous tip and never complained(even though they did not give us the 1/2 price off for the specials). I would suggest the servers(and bartenders) get more training to make this experience better for visitors in the future. The facility is gorgeous, and is conveniently located close to home for us! We plan to return again!!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 October 2013

This is advertised as a resort and charged as a resort, even though it is in the middle of northern Indiana. Prices are typical of what you might get in Chicago or Indianapolis.
While they did upgrade the interior and make it more modern, they did a lousy job with carpet in rooms. The carpet has a very low grade commercial feel to it, not something I would expect in a resort. The rooms do have a nice yellow fresh coat to them.
Additionally, since we close by we have visited the restaurant several times. We have been served pork rinds with hair in them, which we paid in full for since they didn't offer to comp it after we told them. Flatbreads have been served cold, not sure why they can't get them served while hot. They have plenty of people working in the restaurant, just not efficiently taking care of customers.
I have also been to their hilltop banquet facility a couple of times for business meetings. The food we have been served has been cold, both breakfast and lunch. The staff is sloppily dressed while our group has been in professional attire. The staff didn't fit the environment, we are formal and they are walking around in T-shirts?
Either the resort needs to lower prices or they need to significantly upgrade appearances and service.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
3  Thank tlh908
Reviewed 15 October 2013

I worked at Oakwood the last summer it was opened before it closed. It was such a beautiful property, it was such a shame to watch it just sit there and go to waste. My husband and I spent our wedding night there in September, and WOW, what a huge difference. The rooms are so beautiful with a perfect view of the lake. The more lake feel to the décor was much needed, and the best was the most comfortable bed I’ve ever slept in! The restaurant has always been good, but now it’s even better. The prices are a bit high, but you get quality of food you pay for. It’s delicious! If I didn’t live in the area, I’d stay there over and over again!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 October 2013

My wife and I stayed here after our wedding. The staff was very friendly and accommodating. We stayed in a beautiful room overlooking the lake (what a view to wake up to!) We had an AMAZINGLY comfortable king sized bed. (Seriously want that bed for my house)

We also ate lunch there the next day outside by the lake. The food and service was very impressive and delicious.

We would like to thank you for our stay and will reccomend anyone who is staying in that area to go to Oakwood.

Thank you for making our evening so wonderful.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Lucas Y
Reviewed 25 September 2013

Here for business for several days. Property sits nicely by the lake, so a major plus there but hotel room has no iron or ironing board, you need to ask downstairs ( i got a 1/2 board). If you want ice, you have to pay .25, which we can all afford but super tacky!

fitness center which is lacking, opens at 8, so does my morning meeting! So that does not help.
The room is super clean, and the staff is helpful so that is a plus.

Probably the best thing around here, but would never stay here by choice again.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
4  Thank David S
Also consider these accommodations in or near Syracuse
Brook Pointe Inn
Comfort Inn & Suites Warsaw
Farmstead Inn
Farmstead Inn
#2 of 5 in Shipshewana

Been to Oakwood Resort? Share your experiences!