“Smelly and OverPriced”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Taylorsville
Detroit, Michigan
“Smelly and OverPriced”
Reviewed 5 August 2014

I made this reservation about 10 days ahead of arrival. The room was overpriced for what we got.
We checked in late after working all day and driving for 5 hours. The room smelled of cigarette smoke, the A/C was on the coldest setting and the fan was set at full. The bathroom smelled as if it had recently been used.
I am not familiar with the smoking laws of Indiana, but if it is legal I should have been told that this was a smoking room.
I was there for for about 8 hours total. Breakfast was individually wrapped danish, apples, and coffee or cocoa.
This place is very overpriced....I have paid this much and stayed in much nicer rooms than this before. They capitalize on location, don't fall for it.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Vicki L, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Columbus-Taylorsville, responded to this review, 13 September 2014
Hello! I want to take this time to apologize to you on your recent stay with us at Redroof Inn. A lot of things have taken place and I for one am shocked. I can assure you that housekeeping department staff has now been changed. If you personally contact me I can make your next visit in this area better and offer a discount. Once again I do apologize.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Lowell, North Carolina
Reviewed 3 June 2014

I am a Charter Bus driver and stay at a lot of places. Good room and even better people. I was treated very well. Room was clean and comfortable. I would stay there again.....plan on staying there again on my way to Chicago from North Carolina.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Hello and Thank You for your positive review! We hope to see you on your next trip.
Lebanon, Tennessee
Reviewed 30 May 2014

This has to be the worse hotel I have EVER stayed at in my life. I stayed here because the recent reviews have been somewhat nice, however I don't understand how anyone could give this hotel a positive review.

Before arriving I called the front desk to change our reservation from two days to three days, and they gave me an updated total for the stay (which was a larger total price than before). After the second night the front desk called to ask if we would be extending our stay or checking out. I explained to them that I was booked for one more day which was shown on my reservation.

After explaining all this to the front desk clerk at the time she told me that in the computer my booking still was listed for two days and the larger price was because we added a Friday night and dropped a Sunday night. Apparently the price for the room on Friday was $50 higher than Sunday night which caused our price to go up. She told me the price for the room was $122.00 plus tax for Friday/Saturday night, however when I booked it online it clearly said 109.00 per night.

The front desk clerk was so rude that I decided we would check out instead of staying the third day and switch hotels.

Other than the check-out/ price issue we had a few other issues as well. Upon arrival, the room was not properly stocked. There was not enough toilet paper and towels for three people. Also the bathroom was so small you could hardly move around in there before/after taking a shower. Our room keys would not work, and we had to have new ones issued two separate times in two days.

Overall, this was a nightmare stay and we stayed the third night at Holiday Inn & Express about a mile away. There are too many hotel options in the area to stay here. I will never be staying at the Red Roof Inn again.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Hello! I am sorry for the large mix up with room rates. Did you originally book on line with a discount, or through a booking agent? I do know prices vary. I also know through some booking agents when the reservation comes through we can't change dates due to the system locking information for security reasons. Once again I do apologize for this horrible incident.

Travellers are raving about these Taylorsville hotels

Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 21 March 2014

Room was very nice and clean. Price was better than other places in the area. Very friendly staff, especially the gentleman who checked us out this morning! If you're looking for a place to stay in the area, I would highly recommend staying here!

• Stayed March 2014
Hello and thank You for your positive review! Hope to see you again one day!
Saint Paul, Minnesota
Reviewed 30 October 2013

About the Red Roof chain. This place is really nice.

I have always thought of the Red Roof as just an expensive ‘6. But this room was very nice (see Oct 2013 pics), desk chair was very comfy as was the bed. Also see pic’s for electrical outlets … one shows the ones built into the nightstand. There were also two beside the desk, two at desk level and one on the lamp. No reason to unplug anything or move furniture just to get to an outlet.

The only issue was the toilet, it was just louse enough so that when you sit down it would go ‘clunk.’ I mentioned that to the front desk in the AM and they pulled out a ‘fixit it’ ticket right away.

The person checking me in went through the whole list of perks they offer.

If you get in town early enough, there is an A&W / KFC right next door. The only 24 food is the Waffle House about two blocks away … but be careful, those truckers hit the frontage road at about about 60 mph.

Truck parking? About a dozen dedicated spots for 40 ft rigs, if you have a semi parking seems to be permitted on the frontage road, lots of rigs parked there the night I was there.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Thank you for your positive review. We hope to see you back again.
Jasper indiana, United States
Reviewed 23 September 2013

By far the cleanest nicest red roof we have ever stayed in, the staff was friendly the rooms are beautiful. The rooms have hard wood floors, the price of the rooms are excellent very clean, nice decor. A short ride to Columbus and Seymour's definitely worth the value.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you for a positive review. Hope to see you again
Taylorsville, Indiana
Reviewed 11 September 2013

This hotel is amazing, to put it simply. The staff knows the area very well, and they're more than welcome to help you find places like certain stores in the gigantic outlet mall here called "Eddie Bauer Outlet". And they know all the streets by heart. The rooms are freshly renovated so there's nice wooden floors, a "38-"48 TV, a large desk in each room, and very soft beds with a memory-foam like pad on each one.

The kitchenette is beautiful! You can store a months worth of food in 3 cabinets they provide, and the new microwaves are always clean. Granite tabletop, and a high rise faucet for filling up jugs of water or simply for washing. The refrigerator holds more than enough food for your stay, and keeps it fresh! The coffee makers work well, and you can get all the fresh coffee you can possibly drink!

The bathroom is granite-topped also, and there's a full-body mirror, also. A place to hang your clothes, and more than enough outlets for appliances.

There's also a nice leather chair in each room that is very comfortable along with a posture supported computer chair in the room that rocks.

Overall, the staff here is probably the best of any of my stays. They know everything you need to know about Taylorsville, Colombus, and Franklin Indiana. (and all the surrounding cities) They love to conversate also! The lobby is nice, with a sun-room, and plenty of chairs. They have muffins and danishes like crazy here, along with oatmeal! And the apple/orange juice machine is always on, and always fresh. One employee even took a map and showed us the key areas we needed to be at, and gave us the map. The maintenance man is pretty cool, too! You'll see him working on the pool here, and he's very fun to talk to.

They have been helpful and respectful for the entire month I've stayed here! And a quick shoutout to the cleaners! You're doing a great job. Every time I would walk in after it was cleaned, I almost thought I was in a fresh new room each time!

The other guests are super-friendly also, and since we've been here, we've made countless friends just sitting outside talking to them! There's always a good story from each and every travel-buddy we meet.

There's a speedway across the street, and a KFC right over by the annex!

They're also pet-friendly! bring the dog or cat along with you here!

I guarantee you WILL enjoy the day (or month!) you stay here! I don't want to leave!

Room Tip: Each and every last one!
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank 40Brian_C
Hello and Thank you for your positive review. It is always a pleasure to hear from a satisified guest.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Taylorsville
Best Western Edinburgh/Columbus
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Edinburgh
Sleep Inn & Suites Lakeside
Hampton Inn Columbus / Taylorsville / Edinburgh
Hilton Garden Inn Columbus/Edinburgh
Baymont Inn & Suites Franklin

Been to Red Roof Inn Columbus-Taylorsville? Share your experiences!