“Delicious and Great Service”
Review of J. Gumbo's

J. Gumbo's
Ranked #22 of 242 Restaurants in Terre Haute
Reviewed 9 August 2013

We ate a late lunch at J. Gumbo's. The restaurant is informal with a large indoor seating area and pretty but simple decor. Food is served at the counter. The staff was wonderful and let us sample several dishes before we ordered. For cajun food, they had a nice selection of spicy, mildly spicy and non-spicy dishes. We each ordered a different dish and thought everything we tried was excellent. They also have a children's menu with chicken nuggets and mac. and cheese. My youngest ordered chicken nuggets but even this picky eater ended up eating part of my zydeco chicken.

The restaurant was clean. The staff was friendly and efficient. Overall, it was a great experience.

1  Thank oceanblue1

Reviewed 29 July 2013

If you like to spicey or mild their food is the way to go. I am not a spicey food person and still can have a meal here. Gumbo is really good.

2  Thank kaybsix
Reviewed 19 July 2013

I love spice, I love hot sauces, and I love proper portions. I didn't go to the J Gumbo's in Terre Haute, I visited the one in Vincennes. Not sure if it's the same one, or if they moved or not. I Greatly hope they did not move, because I will be living in Vincennes Shortly.

Now, onto the review...The large selection of different meals is great enough and diverse enough that every time I've been I got something different and was satisfied each time. The option to get crawdad(more of an earthy flavor than shrimp) in you food was very satisfying.
The levels of spice and heat were amazing for me. (My previous favorite restaurant was BDUBS for obvious reasons).

When I went they even let you sample every menu item before choosing what you wanted. This made me and my party very happy. Now, as I said Earlier I love hot Sauces. After ordering my meal I noticed a rack of exotic hot sauces in the back. None of that worthless Franks Red hot, but real stuff made from pepper extracts and fermented peppers and vinegar. The stuff that hurts. You can only use some of it if your're 18 or older, or have a parent/guardian with you, which is a smart idea. I of course selected the Ghost pepper sauce, and was delighted.

So, not only can I get a different meal every time, but I can also choose a different sauce. I recommend this. I really don't care if it's 100% authentic Cajun. I was raised in Indiana, and this was the restaurant I've been waiting for.

Also, the decor at the store I went to was amazing. Not because I care about decoration, but because everything was decorated in Tabasco Sauce type paintings or posters, which is my favorite Sauce.

Hope you enjoy!

Reviewed 8 July 2013

If you never had Cajun food or anything other cuisine that was full of flavor this would not be a bad place to. I found the food to be very bland.

Reviewed 5 July 2013

My favorite is Bumblebee Stew. My husband chooses something different every time and is always happy with his choice. All food is great, and is a good substitute when you can't make the trip to New Orleans. My husband adds it is a way to give your taste buds a new treat.

The move to the new location (6 and 1/2 and Wabash Avenue) was June 27, 2013. They are still working to make the place a great destination for Cajun food in the Terre Haute area. They plan to add new food items to the menu in the coming months. Renovations behind the scenes are ongoing. We are anxious to see the finished work.

They are working hard to provide a great dining experience for the locals and out-of-town guests. You won't be disappointed.