“Hidden jewel in Terre Haute”
Review of Magdy's

Magdy's
Ranked #44 of 226 Restaurants in Terre Haute
Cuisines: European
Good for: Groups, Romantic, Business meetings, Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Beaverton
“Hidden jewel in Terre Haute”
Reviewed 7 April 2012

Magdy's is located in an old Victorian house in an old Terre Haute neighborhood. My wife and I were surprised and very pleased with the delicious meals that were served to us. I had the rack of lamb and my wife sampled the swordfish. Both were delicious and reasonably priced. I would highly recommend Magdy's to anyone interested in an excellent meal with a fair price.

• Visited March 2012
1 Thank Steven P

Terre Haute
“Magdy's is a treasure”
Reviewed 20 February 2012

I have been a regular at Magdy's for about 6 years. I think one either loves it or hates it depending on one's view of what the dining experience is supposed to be.
Reservation are available but rarely needed; Definitely on valentines day. The restaurant is run out of a house converted to a restaurant some 20 years ago. It used to be called "Richard's Town House" and run by the same family that runs Mogger's and Stables steakhouse. Magdy bought the facility from the Richards and has been creating interesting dishes since then. The last several times I went to Magdy's he did not even present a menu. It could be he knows what I like and so a menu is superfluous, or it cold be that there is not much on the menu to see. Either way, upon our arrival, we were warmly greeted by staff and then Magdy joined us. I had called ahead to make reservations, so he knew I was coming and said that he wanted to make something special for us. So, I said, "OK." He did make something special for us and that included a grilled rack of lamb in a fabulous red wine and shallot sauce. It is rich and yummy. We actually brought our own bottle of wine and he will allow that with a small corkage fee and a promise of a small glass for him. The last part is not a requirement but it doesn't hurt anyone.
In conclusion, I love this restaurant because they serve very good food and they make me feel like a rock star with special treatment. I think they give anyone they get to know that treatment and why not. Magdy is a colorful character and is joy to speak with if he is not slammed. It's worth every penny.

• Visited November 2011
2 Thank Skilly-IN
Terre Haute, Indiana
“Not Bad”
Reviewed 18 February 2012

Costly. While the experience is unique the price is too. If you want elegant for a cost this is the place!

Visited March 2011
Hope, Maine
“always great food!”
Reviewed 30 December 2011

Magdy's is a wonderful and creative restaurant. if you don't like what is on the menu, ask the server, Shawn, what he recommends. If you are a vegan or vegetarian you will have no problems eating at Magdy's. Eating here is more like eating a great meal at home. The service is wonderful and the old house is fun! Lunch or dinner it is all good. When busy the service can be a bit slow, but this just gives you more time to chat and visit with your friends or family. The wine selection is great. This is a hidden gem in Terre Haute.

• Visited December 2011
Terre Haute, Indiana, United States
“Slightly disappointed”
Reviewed 25 October 2011

My husband and I are a younger couple just starting our marriage. We do not eat out very often but when we do we enjoy local fine dining restaurants. The last two times we have been to Magdy's I have been disappointed. The first couple times it was AMAZING and I would have recommended it to everyone. Unfortunately I feel that we are looked at as a young couple and automatically they feel we won't tip as well and give us worse service. Two other couples came in after us and got there food way before us. Our server questioned us when we ordered a bottle of wine. I served the whole time I was in college and know what that is all about. The last time we were there our food was had a burnt taste to it. This time our food was AMAZING, but the server treated us very poorly. Also, Magdy himself came out and talked to every table and barely even acknowledged we were sitting there. For as small as a restaurant they are you would think that every guest would be treated equally. When I get a bottle of wine and some of the most expensive entree I expect my server to treat me and my husband with some sort of respect. We would not have went out to dinner if we could not afford it.

• Visited October 2011