“Lovely dinner in a lovely setting”
Review of Magdy's

Magdy's
Ranked #32 of 231 Restaurants in Terre Haute
Cuisines: European
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 25 August 2012

My husband and I have not lived in Terre Haute long, but soon tired of the same-old chain restaurants and steak houses, so when happened to drive by Magdy's one day, I looked to see if an reviewed it on Trip Advisor. Based on the reviews, we tried it, and were very glad we did. The food was excellent---the Chicken Marsala the best I've tasted---and the Victorian setting made us feel like guests in a elegant home.

2  Thank cygans2

Reviewed 14 July 2012 via mobile

My husband are from the Terre Haute area, however we have never come to Magdy's before this evening. In fact, I came to the prior restaurant in this location -- Richard's Townhouse -- on my junior prom night 30 years ago.

My husband and I enjoyed the risotto Appetizer - very good, but I would have liked it hot rather than warm. We also had the brie and sun dried tomato on toast - probably wouldnt have that one again.We enjoyed te swordfish entree we shared very much. They were out of tiramisu and creme brûlée, our first choices, but we ordered the bananas foster and baklava and they were lovely. The appetizers and deserts were very reasonable, and there was no sticker shock for the entree due to other reviewers. Our waiter was very nice but off tonight. Magdy came at the end of our meal and chatted. He poked good natured fun at another fine restaurant closer to our home town. A very nice, romantic evening.

2  Thank mym2bw
Reviewed 11 June 2012

Me and my co-workers ate here several times while working in Indiana. The food, service, and atmosphere were all spot on.

I would suggest letting the chef choose your meal and you will not be disappointed. We ate an amazing succulent tuna and scallop sashimi, a very good Caesar salad, and an amazing red snapper dish.

If you don't mind spending a little more for good food, then Magdy's in Terre Haute is a must!

1  Thank Constant M
Reviewed 7 April 2012

Magdy's is located in an old Victorian house in an old Terre Haute neighborhood. My wife and I were surprised and very pleased with the delicious meals that were served to us. I had the rack of lamb and my wife sampled the swordfish. Both were delicious and reasonably priced. I would highly recommend Magdy's to anyone interested in an excellent meal with a fair price.

1  Thank Steven P
Reviewed 20 February 2012

I have been a regular at Magdy's for about 6 years. I think one either loves it or hates it depending on one's view of what the dining experience is supposed to be.
Reservation are available but rarely needed; Definitely on valentines day. The restaurant is run out of a house converted to a restaurant some 20 years ago. It used to be called "Richard's Town House" and run by the same family that runs Mogger's and Stables steakhouse. Magdy bought the facility from the Richards and has been creating interesting dishes since then. The last several times I went to Magdy's he did not even present a menu. It could be he knows what I like and so a menu is superfluous, or it cold be that there is not much on the menu to see. Either way, upon our arrival, we were warmly greeted by staff and then Magdy joined us. I had called ahead to make reservations, so he knew I was coming and said that he wanted to make something special for us. So, I said, "OK." He did make something special for us and that included a grilled rack of lamb in a fabulous red wine and shallot sauce. It is rich and yummy. We actually brought our own bottle of wine and he will allow that with a small corkage fee and a promise of a small glass for him. The last part is not a requirement but it doesn't hurt anyone.
In conclusion, I love this restaurant because they serve very good food and they make me feel like a rock star with special treatment. I think they give anyone they get to know that treatment and why not. Magdy is a colorful character and is joy to speak with if he is not slammed. It's worth every penny.

2  Thank Skilly-IN