“A Good Night's Stay”

Ranked #8 of 18 Hotels in Terre Haute
Overland Park, Kansas
“A Good Night's Stay”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 September 2012

I spent one night at the Pear Tree Inn en route from Kansas City to Cincinnati. I chose Terre Haute as my (just beyond) mid-point and then looked for available hotels. I have stayed in Terre Haute before, but at other hotels. I had never stayed at a Pear Tree before, but I have stayed at Drury Hotels (the parent of Pear Tree). I like Drurys, so I thought I would try the budget offering, which I reserved for $54 per night with a discount.

I arrived at the hotel around 11 p.m. The desk clerk promptly greeted me, and after checking my ID, buzzed me in. I suppose there are late-night risks at a hotel, but I felt better knowing there was some security in place.

The lobby area was clean. There is also a breakfast room adjoining it. Breakfast in the morning was cereal, breads, fruit, donuts and coffee and juice. It's the standard breakfast offering. In the morning, the food was presented well and the serving area was kept in order.

I reserved a room with a king-sized bed. The room itself is a bit smaller than more expensive hotels, but it was not cramped. There was also a desk and chair, end table, long dresser with the TV and a reclining chair. The bathroom was also tight, but not impossible to move in.

One aspect I liked in the bathroom: There were dispensers in the tub for bath gel, shampoo and conditioner. Rather than fumbling with multiple little bottles, I just pushed the button to get what I needed. The tub provided plenty of hot water.

The room itself was clean. It was probably last updated several years ago, but everything was still in good shape. The hotel sits between the Drury Hotel to the north and a Lone Star Steak House to the south. The south side rooms face the windows of the Lone Star, so you will likely want to draw the drapes unless you like being watched by restaurant patrons.

The hotel offered free Wi-fi, which I used to check email. It was fast enough for that with a strong signal.

There are several hotels in the area, and there are lots of restaurants, too. As I said, the Lone Star is next door. Several are easily within walking distance. There are also many other businesses on US-41, including discount department stores, office supplies, pharmacies and several quickie marts. There's even a movie theater if you have the time.

My first experience with a Pear Tree by Drury was a good one. The room was affordable and clean and close to the highway. I awarded this hotel a 4 out of 5 because I reserve a 5 for truly outstanding experiences. I would stay here again. (CS)

Room Tip: South side rooms face a restaurant, north side room face the Drury Inn.
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank TravelerChriss

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Chagrin Falls, Ohio
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 September 2012

Great stay, very friendly and helpful staff. the building was well maintained. This was one of the nicer places we stayed at.
The room was nicely appointed and clean, fast wyfi, good value. The breakfast was just OK. We would stay again.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 September 2012 via mobile

This super 8 has been very well maintained. The bedding was extremely comfortable and almost new. This became one of my more enjoyable stays with this brand of hotel. Well located with many services in the area. It even had a good TV channel selection. If in the area I would certainly stay again.

• Stayed September 2012
Beavercreek, Ohio
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 August 2012

I travel quite a bit. I have stayed at some fantastic hotels and some real dumps. That being said, I was truly pleased with this Hotel.
I stayed here specifically because of the cost. It was a good price and the location was perfect for what I was looking for. Right of the exit on I-70.
The Hotel itself is not much to look at on the outside. (Especially sitting next to the Drury Inn as it does.) There was plenty of parking. The front door was situated facing the main road with the side entrance facing the main parking area. That was a little confusing.
The front desk area was clean and there was a nice smell of popcorn in the air. The front desk attendees were all extremely helpful and friendly!
The elevator is probably the most annoying part of the hotel. There is no close door button and the door stays open for 20 seconds at a minimum before closing. That may not seem like a lot, but when you are the only person getting in, it seems to take forever.
The halls were all clean and smelled nice. The rooms were clean, the beds (two doubles) were large and the comfortable. The pillows were another story. I highly recommend you bring a pillow with you. The two pillows provided per room were very old and the fiber fill was not one piece any more. Even with two stacked together, it was bad.
The towels and wash cloths were old and dingy looking. I smelled them closely to see if I could detect a bleach or chlorine smell and I could not. I was not impressed with the cleanliness of the bathroom either. There was a yellow stain from standing water in the sink and the tub didn't seem like it had been cleaned as good as it could have been.
The TVs were old, but they worked. The wifi was pretty good. I had no problem streaming videos at any time of day or night.
The hotel staff called every night to check that everything was OK. That was annoying, but I understand the level of customer service they were striving for, so I appreciate it.
Overall, I would gladly stay at the Pear Tree again. It was not the best place, but it definitely met my needs and I felt important while I was there.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled on business
Morristown,Tennessee
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2012

I usually stay at Drury Inn but this time I got a good deal here at Pear Tree Inn.It was a great stay at half the price of Drury.Room was clean,I got a King Size bed plus the room had a recliner,a desk and a desk chair.The only thing no fridge in the room and there was plenty of room for one.But for the price cant beat it for a good clean room.Now you dont get the extras like drury but there is a continental breakfast.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Roadsofa
Cumming, Georgia, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 July 2012

If you're looking for a nice room, good value, excellent location-- this one's worth a look. Stayed here last night for one night on our way back to Atlanta, and we booked based on price and location.

Cab dropped us off in front of the hotel, and check in was a breeze. Popped upstairs to our room, dropped our bags, took a shower, then next door to Cracker Barrel for dinner. The room was quiet-- never heard a peep in the hallway-- and we had a very comfortable king-sized bed.

Breakfast was mediocre at best. Few food choices, spread over the tiny little breakfast area and small lobby. Adequate, but marginally adequate.

So... good room, good location. If breakfast is your thing, pop next door to Cracker Barrel.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
Arlington, Virginia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 July 2012

The Pear Tree Inn is right next to Drury, where we had first stopped to ask for pricing. The staff at Drury kindly compared his price to the Pear Tree (they are both owned by Drury so he had access to pricing at the other property) and the price difference made our decision.

The Pear Tree was not as clean as the Drury appeared to be, but it wasn't bad. The biggest issue was that the room was smoky. Apparently the state just recently passed legislation requiring hotels to be smoke-free, and though the room had been professionally cleaned, it was still quite smoky smelling. The bed was pretty comfortable, the bathroom was quite small.

Breakfast was fine - nothing special. The best part of the short stay was the friendly staff. We had no issues with noise from the highway - 4th floor room was quiet.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
DruryHotels, Manager at Pear Tree Inn Terre Haute, responded to this review, 31 July 2012
Thanks for choosing the Pear Tree Inn Terre Haute. We apologize for the cleanliness issues you experienced with your stay. The state of Indiana did recently pass a law which required all room become non smoking. We have converted all of the smoking rooms to non smoking and rooms have been cleaned again by an outside professional service. Your comments have been passed along to hotel management to follow up with team. It is our mission for guests to enjoy a comfortable and clean stay! We truly appreciate your business and do hope to see you as our guest again soon.