“Not Up To Par”
Review of Comfort Suites

Comfort Suites
Ranked #11 of 19 Hotels in Terre Haute
Reviewed 16 August 2008

I like to think I write fair reviews on my experiences at various hotels we stay at during the year. This does not mean that this happens to others, but only my observations on this stay.

I am sorry to say I see a downward trend in Choice Hotels I have stayed at recently. I originally switched from Red Roof Inns to CH because of the free breakfast and free internet ... ..things not to be had with Red Roof.

However, I believe CH has been purchasing seedier properties after their initial charge for customers and our last several stays at various places around the country have been less than satisfactory.

At this one the room was OK, but the entire 3rd floor reeked of cigarette smoke. Of course, like any good hotel employee, they have to act surprised when you mention it.

The extra almost-hidden charge for the safe in the room really burns me up..... if you forget to tell them, you are charged this without using it. This is not a friendly thing to do in my opinion.

The "Savory Start" breakfast with the "Waffle Bar" was pathetic. Warm coffee, out of about everything, one measly waffle unit with so many people waiting to use it. No bananas, milk and yogurt was warm, and worst quantity and selection of breakfast items we have seen at a CH to date.

We and another couple were actually talking of leaving and going to a restaurant for breakfast - it was that mediocre.

Perhaps it is time to start checking out chains that want our business more. I am disappointed in the quality of CH in our experiences this past year.

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Reviewed 14 May 2008

I half-expected a so-so room and was pleasantly surprised by the cleanliness; it was cleaner than my room at the nearby Drury Inn last year. Pleasant staff, will stay here again.

Stayed: May 2008
Reviewed 4 April 2008

Comfort Inns & Suites are always very nice, and this one was no different. The room was clean, no smell of smoke as reported elsewhere. Upper floor access should be no problem for anyone, there is a handy elevator near the lobby in the center of the building.
Breakfast is typical and well supplied. I overslept and got down there 10 minutes before closing. I expected one doughnut, one banana at the most, but the shelves were well-stocked and the room was still filled with other late eaters. The waffle iron is my favorite. Desk help was very courteous, cleaning staff was polite. Room was well stocked with clean linens, bedding was very new with lots of pillows. I didn't take advantage of the pool, but the crowd in there seemed to be having fun. This was a business trip for me. If I can't find an old antique classic hotel, Comfort Inn/Suites is my next choice. Never a problem.

• Stayed: April 2008, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed 26 August 2007

Cigerette burns on the floor and the comforter of my "non" smoking room. The whole hotel wreaked of smoked. Many people were complaining about that and people getting drunk around the pool which was a very small pool. There were signs up that said "not responsible for cars getting broken into" and my wife said her cousin had her car broken into in a resteraunt parking lot very nearby.

Stayed: August 2007
Reviewed 31 January 2006

Windows open in the room, with NO screens. Danger/hazard when you have kids. Bedding was torn and old etc. WI FI internet connection was bad, had to call their customer service over and over. Breakfast was the only thing we would recommend.

Reviewed 5 January 2006

I stayed at Comfort Suites because I was visiting family who lived nearby and had some really strange things happen. The people at the front desk were mixed as in sometimes they were friendly & sometimes they were not as it just depended on who was working at the time.

My first night they did not have the room that I booked which was okay except it was my first time trying to use a laptop & I worked & worked trying to get on the internet & when my laptops battery ran out I realized that the plug in nor the plug for my high speed worked, & then I found out that the lights all along that wall did not work. If only they would train the people at the front desk to help you in connecting then she would have known that I was doing things correctly and I would not of sat up half the night trying to get on. I depend on my laptop now for a website in which I sell gifts & home decor and another website as I am a beauty consultant (think pink)and I have to know if I have an order.

The next night they changed me to a room on the third floor even though I was promised a room on the first floor due to my having knee surgery only two weeks before and good luck getting help with your bags, even though I could not lift mine due to knee surgery and when you ask them for help they tell you they will for $5.00 a bag! I always tip well, but I definetly do not like being told that I have to tip & how much. There is a young lady named I believe, Josie who not only helped me one night with my bags after checking out for just one night for staying with family, she also did not ask me for any money & told me no she did not want it, so I gave her $15.00 & I had two suitcases and the rest were small travel bags which I handled myself.

Okay, now is when it got REALLY BAD, I left one day with a travel bag and a large laundry bag which may have looked like I would not be back that night, well I left to do my laundry at a friend's house. I arrived back to my room and the front desk man was on my floor which I found odd & it is weird because when I saw him, I had an odd feeling. I never saw the front desk employees on any floors, ever except for the one time I asked for the hub for my computer and was assisted by one of the very nice men that worked there & I sure wish I could remember his name, anyway I went into my room and in my bathroom there was blood on the top of the toilet in two different areas, & blood on the paper that covers the new roll of tissue paper. In addition, my suitcase had been gone through and I know this for a fact because my socks and undergarments were scattered amongst my clothes & I had them stored before in the pockets of the suitcase, plus there was a hanger from the closet in my suitcase so it had the feeling that I must have come right when whomever was rifiling through my things. Another thing is, I had taken quite a bit of my new cosmetics incase of the chance of selling it & for emergency gifts for Christmas, well I am missing cosmetics and one of my sets was crushed, the contents are fine, but the pretty gift box was ruined. I am disabled & I was very sick on my stay, plus in much pain with my knee & I did not want to ask my relation to travel 40 to 45 min. to help me switch to a different hotel for the couple of nights that I had left & I was so sick at this point that I knew that I would not be leaving my room anymore so I did not have to chance being ripped off anymore.

As if all of those things are not bad enough, the housekeeping was horrible and I even tipped them right off the bat to try to make sure they would take care of me. Not only did they not take care of me, I so wonder if they were the ones who stole from me, plus left the blood in my bathroom due to partying or God only hates to think of how the blood was in my bathroom. They did not dust once, clean my toilet from top to bottom and boy was it filthy from the top down, did not clean my bathroom floor except they somewhat swept it, not once cleaned my tub, half the time they did not even clean my mirror. I wiped things down myself because I was so sick mentally & physically from dealing with a death & my many health issues that I just could not cope with one more thing & I told the front desk about this the night before I checked out and the day I checked out, but I had told them about the horrible housekeeping, but to no avail. When they vacumed they would not move a chair and only did the main area and could not even make it around the bed. They or whomever helped themselves to not only stealing, but also using my open products because a couple of my items I had only used once and there was so much gone!

This could be a really nice place, but they really need to get better housekeeping, replace some of the front desk people and update facets and such to give it a new look. I am so glad that Terre Haute is getting a Hilton, but I do not know how long it will be before it is finished. The Comfort Suite would be the best value & as far as I am concerned at this point the nicest place due to I cannot stand having cramped quarters, but there has got to be MAJOR changes. They took off $10.00 a day for my troubles & that is NOTHING considering all of the problems. I did notice that the two women that was there normally on my floor cleaning was not, so I am praying that they were fired for other peoples sake. Good luck!

• Stayed: December 2005
8  Thank MaryKayLady
Reviewed 15 December 2005

My husband and I have stayed here several times over the years - he's from Terre Haute - and we give the hotel mixed reviews - it depends who's at the front desk and which manager is on duty. Last October, our room was immaculate when we arrived, then never cleaned during the rest of our three-day stay. The manager credited us $10 per day cleaning fee, but our "Special Event Rate" ($117 per night) charged because it was the Covered Bridge Festival seemed excessive. In previous years, we've had excellent service and a nice two-queen, non-smoking room. The breakfast is OK for basics, but if you want a great coffee (and a personable owner) go downtown to Coffee Grounds at 423 Wabash.

Stayed: October 2005