“Railroad Garden That Dreams Are Made Of”

Taltree Arboretum and Gardens
Ranked #1 of 23 things to do in Valparaiso
More attraction details
Owner description: Taltree Arboretum & Gardens is 501(c)3 non-profit dedicated to preserving the environment, educating the public, and conserving a natural space for guests to enjoy. Situated on a beautiful 330-acre oak preserve of formal gardens, and restored woodlands, wetlands, and prairie, Taltree hosts a variety of public classes, exhibits, and events. During visits, guests can explore approximately 6 miles of hiking trails and diverse landscapes, relax in the formal gardens, visit animals in the children's garden, enjoy the intricate Railway Garden, and more.
Reviewed 26 August 2014

Taltree Arboretum and Gardens has the largest public railroad garden in the Midwest. It truly is a gem in the prairie. While it is not located in town, it makes up for the drive by it's beauty. I can say that with a doubt I more than a couple of ideas back home for my railroad. The railroad garden is fully accessible, the concrete paths are great. If you have children, this is a must stop if our traveling on I-80,I-90,I-94. Just slip down and visit. I lost count of the number of bridges on the layout.

2  Thank shuttletrain

Reviewed 11 August 2014

We were extremely impressed by Taltree! They keep the grounds clean and well landscaped. Our favorite thing there is the train. The amount of detail that was put into the exhibit is really unbelievable. Looking forward to visiting again.

Taltree A, Public Relations Manager at Taltree Arboretum and Gardens, responded to this reviewResponded 20 August 2014

So glad to hear about your lovely day! The intricate railway garden is always a must see & do. It appeals to all ages. We look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed 6 August 2014

The Railroad Garden is definitely worth the stop. It is set up like a timeline of railroad history, and is very well done. Be sure to ask for a child's scavenger hunt sheet.
The other gardens were okay, but not as impressive as other small botanical gardens we have visited. The mosquitos were quite thick on some of the trails around the ponds, so bring spray. The kids will enjoy the farm garden.

Thank you so much for visiting! Glad you were impressed by our Railway Garden. It is our most intricate garden. Bug spray and sunscreen are always a must whenever outdoors. We hope you'll come back again soon!

Reviewed 5 August 2014

My wife and I took our grand children there on a Monday. The hiking trails are very nice and the train display is excellent. The rest rooms are new and very clean. They are obviously in the process of putting in new displays and buildings in the animal area. Some programming is available. Without a full membership I feel that it would be pricey to take a family there on a consistent basis. Fortunately, I saw the recommendation on Tripadvisor for Groupon. This helped a lot.

Taltree A, Public Relations Manager at Taltree Arboretum and Gardens, responded to this reviewResponded 8 August 2014

We are so glad to hear you enjoyed your visit and were able to take advantage of one of our special discounts. Yes, our memberships provide the best value for coming back again and again. They also provide local and national discounts, which makes them an even better value. Savings tip: First Tuesday of each month is free.

Reviewed 23 July 2014

We had a very nice time visiting the Railroad Garden. We went with my Grandmother who uses a walker. Although her rate is discounted it was still a little pricey since all we did was spend about an hour there. But the trains were fun and the garden beautiful. Made some great memories.

1  Thank bethmb
Taltree A, Public Relations Manager at Taltree Arboretum and Gardens, responded to this reviewResponded 4 August 2014

Thank you for coming out! We're always looking for feedback to improve the customer experience. Glad you enjoyed your limited time with us. We hope you come back. Travel tip: First Tuesday of the month offers free general admission.