“Great Little Restaurant”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Meditrina

Meditrina
Ranked #4 of 156 Restaurants in Valparaiso
Good for: Child-friendly, Cheap Eats, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Outdoor Seating, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
Indianapolis, Indiana
“Great Little Restaurant”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2014

We went as a party of four adults on a Thursday evening around 5:30. We got there just before there was a line. They do not take reservations.

The food was wonderful. We started out with specialty wines which our server helped us select and allowed us to try a couple of different ones before choosing. There were also selections of hard cider - pear and apple - and a plum cooler which, I believe, they made.

We had the cheese appetizer plate for $12 that included 4 different cheeses which were very good as well as a few dates, golden raisins and toast points. I would have liked a little larger cutting on the cheese and a few more dates and raisins, but they were great selections.

For dinner I had the farm-grown shrimp in linguini with lemon and olive oil. It was outstanding! I thought that the shrimp tasted somewhat like lobster - a bit like the langostinos we used to get at Red Lobster years ago. Although I don't like to compare this to Red Lobster as it was much better. Another dish we enjoyed was a Portobello mushroom special with couscous.

We finished with Turkish coffee and tiramisu and date cookies. Again all very good.

Our server was excellent and very helpful, and service was speedy. We would definitely go there again. There is some outside seating.

• Visited July 2014

“Good things come in tiny packages”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 July 2014 via mobile

Today my boyfriend and I decided to try Meditrina. It's a very small place, perfect for an intimate dinner. It was rather cozy and the staff was pleasant. We ordered the bacon wrapped dates for an appetizer and it was delicious. A perfect balance of sweet and salty. The only thing wrong was we wanted more! 5 just isn't enough :) my boyfriend had the beef shwarma combo, which came with tabouleh and falafel. It was quite delicious. I had the pomegranate steak with mushrooms and onions in a pomegranate reduction with rice and green beans. I really enjoyed it. I'm not much of a red meat person, but my boyfriend agreed it was really delightful. We also tried the potato curry soup which had a nice flavor. For dessert we had the tiramisu. It was light and fluffy with chocolate chips sprinkled on top. The is no salt and pepper on the tables, which I loved, and there is patio seating outside. I just fell in love with this place. I will definitely be back! It's a must try.

1 Thank Cypriotqueen
Valparaiso, Indiana
“Great little place”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 July 2014

The restaurant is very small and only seats a few, but the food is really good. The only place in Valparaiso that even knows what falafel is, let alone serves it. I'm very partial to the vegetarian combo plate (hummos, falafel, grape leaves, rice), although the spinach and goat cheese pizza is also really good. Serves wine and beer--also has take out if you don't want to wait for one of the small tables. In the summer, they do have some outside seating that is very pleasant. The only thing I would warn people about: do not come with a large party--any more than 4, and you may risk never finding a table.

“A Little Disappointing”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 July 2014

We had heard so many good things about Meditrina that we were very excited to give it a try. We ordered the stuffed grape leaves. There was very little seasoning and the rice was over cooked and mushy. The grape leaves used were too thick and not tender at all with stringy veins that you would get from a very mature leaf. We also got an order of the cucumber salad which was very good, light and refreshing. I ordered the lamb kabobs. They also had very little seasoning and were overcooked and charred which made them very tough to chew. The rice also lacked seasoning. My wife ordered the chicken shawarma. It was very salty and dry. The hummus thatcame with herdish was good. Service staff was very attentive. Don't think we will be going back.

Chicago, Illinois
“Best in Northwest Indiana!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 July 2014

We drive back to Laporte from work in Chicago most weekends and love to stop at Meditrina for lunch on the way. My spouse is the chef in our family so he is pretty picky, but has never had a bad meal here. The curried goat is his favorite. The chef comes out and shares her recipes and ideas with us all the time. I just love everything vegetarian that the fabulous chef cooks up: she is creative, friendly and just awesome. I hesitate to review this little gem because it is already so popular. Just a wonderful fine restaurant with the best wait staff, great wine and beer choices, and fabulous food with creative specials. Go!