“Quiet, Relaxed, Delicious, Romantic”

Songbird Prairie Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #1 of 2 Valparaiso B&B and Inns
Valparaiso, Indiana
“Quiet, Relaxed, Delicious, Romantic”
Reviewed 22 July 2010

I stayed here the day after my wedding to get away from our families and to take a few minutes for ourselves. This is a very enchanting place to stay with an exceedingly gracious host and very talented chef (same person as the host). I couldn't have asked for anything better and it was truly a magical part of wedding experience.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Valparaiso, Indiana
Reviewed 12 July 2010

Overall a nice place. Our only complaint was, we had bought a package that the B&B offered that did not meet our expectations, when we spoke with our hostess about our concerns we were met with resistance and was never offered for it to be rectified. It was not until we decided to leave that our concerns were addressed. Also we noticed when we first checked in, that there was a journal in our room for the guest to write about their experiences; after our issues in the room were addressed we noticed that the journal was no longer there. Thought that was a little unnecessary. Our weekend would have been perfect if our issues were addressed with a little bit more consideration.

4 Thank bmta
barbie58, Owner at Songbird Prairie Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, 15 July 2010
Innkeeper Response
We enjoy having guests in our home. This is our business and our home; therefore we wouldn’t say or do anything that would jeopardize our guest’s satisfaction for any reasonable requests. In the check in room service process, we instruct our guests how to operate the whirlpools the DirecTV, VCR, DVD as well as the procedures for the Fireplaces in the winter months. Unfortunately, there must have been a misunderstanding throughout the check in process that our guests assumed that we would know when they would be returning from dinner; and that on a 95 degree in July day that they would want their fireplace turned on. Even so, had they called us to request this, we would have accommodated them. Our voice mail picked up the phone call and we did not receive the call that said they were deciding to leave. I was upstairs getting another room ready, as I did theirs by turning the bed down, icing their beverage and placing their box of candy, when I spoke with him. We satisfied their request by lighting the Fireplace, dimming the lights, starting their whirlpool and lighting their candle. Their breakfast was the usual 3 courses served to them and their dessert was on an anniversary plate. They were also sent an anniversary card for their 13th wedding anniversary. Once again, it is unfortunate that they misunderstood the Bed and Breakfast package offer.

- Barbara and Efrain Rivera (innkeepers)
Indianapolis
Reviewed 8 July 2010

Favorite place we just keep going back to time and again! We could stay anywhere, but why would we? Barbara and Efrain are the most gracious hosts, the home is beautifully decorated, the bedrooms are extremely spacious, the bathrooms have whirlpool tubs, heated floors,comfy robes and thick towels. The best part I look forward to is the fantastic breakfast that I didn't have to cook. We just sit back, take our time and enjoy the wonderful food that is prepared and served at the right temperatures, cold food is cold and hot foods are piping hot--as they should be. I truly don't know how they do it and make it look so easy!

USA
Reviewed 13 November 2009

My husband and I have enjoyed other nice bed and breakfasts, but this tops them all. The inn is gorgeous. So clean! So luxurious! The food is fabulous. The presentation of the food is so beautiful and adds to the enjoyment. The snacks and beverages added to the stay. We enjoyed visiting with Barbara and Efrain. It is a plus when getting to visit with the innkeepers. I can't say enough to sing Songbird Prairie's praises. The nearby restaurants were great too.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled as a couple
Northern Indiana
Reviewed 9 November 2009

My husband and I stayed in the Warbler Room which was wonderful. The breakfast was amazing. Hospitality was exceptional. A great place to stay and getaway.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled as a couple
Indianapolis, IN
Reviewed 28 October 2009

There are not enough words to describe how much my husband and I loved Songbird Prairie. We went for our honeymoon in the beautiful autumn season and the grounds were absolutely breathtaking with fall colors. Every detail at Songbird has been lovingly attended to and the rooms are spectacular - from gorgeous furniture and decor to luxurious linens and robes. The breakfasts are SO delicious and quite hearty, and are perfectly served in a sunroom surrounded by woods and bird feeders that attract a constant stream of cardinals, finches, blue jays, robins and more. We also got massages from a licensed LMT, Leslie, which was a wonderfully relaxing way to start the trip. All the arrangements for that were handled through the B&B. The owners are extremely personable and friendly and have put a tremendous amount of work into the B&B. I'm recommending Songbird Prairie to everyone I know, and my husband and I will *definitely* be back!

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple
Indianapolis
Reviewed 21 October 2009

My husband and I come here about twice a year. Words and pictures will never do this lovely place justice. A sense of peace and well-being envelops you once you walk in the door, and stays with you even after you leave. The BnB is undoubtedly the most gorgeous and well-thought-out place we've stayed at. We love to travel both in the U.S. and abroad, and this place cannot be beat. To be truthful, no place has yet to come close.

The rooms are gorgeous and luxurious. The grounds are beautiful. You can stroll through the meadow behind the inn, or just relax in an adirondack chair underneat the apple tree and watch the world go by. If you wake up early, wander downstairs and have a cup of tea (there's a special area just for guests with tea and coffe, fresh cookies and a fridge just for our use) and sit in the sunroom to watch the many songbirds having their breakfast. Barbara is an avid bird lover and has bird feeders set up all around the outside of the sunroom. You can even listen to their songs as you breakfast as she has the outside of the room mic'd up.

Small, but significant touches like this are the hallmark of the Inn. You don't just get a glass of water, you get a cut crystal goblet of water with sprigs of lemon balm and flower buds. You don't just get a nice breakfast, you get a three course lavish breakfast that would be at home on the cover of Gourmet magazine. My husband and I were enjoying ourselves so much this last trip, we couldn't bear to go home and extended our stay for one more day! Barbara was gracious as ever in accommodating this last-minute request.

Bottom line.. go. You won't be disappointed. And you will definately be back.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Valparaiso
Hampton Inn & Suites Valparaiso
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Valparaiso
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Portage
Quality Inn & Suites Valparaiso
Hilton Garden Inn Chesterton
Best Western Inn & Suites Of Merrillville

Been to Songbird Prairie Bed & Breakfast? Share your experiences!