“Convenient location”

Ranked #4 of 7 Hotels in Valparaiso
Barberton
“Convenient location”
Reviewed 22 October 2013

I have been staying at this hotel monthly for over two years. It's located near Valparaiso University on Route 30. It's also near the intersection with Route 49 which makes the hotel very accessible. There are nice restaurants nearby like Kellsey's and Industrial Revolution which are only a few minutes away. The hotel is basic, it's clean and comfortable but nothing memorable. The free breakfast buffet is pretty standard for the Holliday Inn Express chain which includes cereals, cinnamon rolls, bagels, eggs, sausage or bacon, waffles and yoghurt among other items. Again, nothing fancy but gets the job done. The beds are comfortable and new, the sheets are clean. The tv's are all flatscreen and HD but I have yet to see the HD working. I have never tried the pool but the small gym has two treadmills one of which hasn't been working for the last few months, and one stationary bike. There are no free weights. The bathrooms are clean and well equipped. I have never had any plumbing issues, hot water is always available. Even though the hotel is located near a busy highway, noise has never been an issue. For the price, it's a great choice if you need to stay in this part of Indiana.

Room Tip: I prefer the third floor.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Madison, Wisconsin
Reviewed 30 September 2013

Nice place to stay - room was very comfortable and the bed was very comfy. Wonderful place for a family - pool to keep the kids busy and nice breakfast - great for a family budget!! Would definitely stay here again!!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank nana4321
Reviewed 5 June 2013

Great place to stay. I always stay here when I am in the area. The only negatives this stay include: poorly working air conditioner and no ice on my floor. The staff was super friendly and the hotel is clean, and I am extremely picky on cleanliness.

Room Tip: I always choose the top floor.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 1 May 2013 via mobile

Excellent place to stay. Hotel is nicely situated away from noise and close to everything. Weight room has limited equipment. Nice size swimming pool and hot tub. Very friendly and helpful staff (especially Katlin).

• Stayed April 2013
Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed 9 April 2013

I’ve stayed here before and love the location (I have business with Valparaiso University and this hotel is very convenient). There are a few things I’ve shared with the management. We’ve played phone tag but I haven’t heard from them again. The hotel is clean. It’s predictable in all the ways that Holiday Inn Express can be predictable. There are a few things, though, that were not up to the brand standards before and some other experiences were frustrating this time. Simple additions would be nice. Lotion and facial tissues that don’t disintegrate when used and more than grape jam and dietetic grape jam at breakfast would be nice. The frustration this time was that I tried to extend my stay but was told by the evening staff that no rooms were available (I knew a middle school basketball tournament and wedding were also at this hotel). I checked on-line and was able to book an additional night. I tried to stay in the same room but had to check out and move down the hall for the final night. I was there for six nights total. I will be back again but I do hope they smooth out the rough edges a bit.

Room Tip: All the rooms are nice but I still prefer rooms on the back of the hotel, away from highway traffic.
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Valparaiso, responded to this review, 10 July 2013
Dear EnjoyTravelAlways,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback about your recent stay with us. We strive to ensure all of our guests needs are met and we are pleased to know you liked our location and you found our hotel clean. We are sorry to hear that we failed to meet your expectations in our amenities and the breakfast. Please remain assured that we have recorded your comments and will forward it to the appropriate departments for future considerations. We all hope that you would give us another chance to make your stay as best as it can be.

Karen C
Case Manager
IHGCare
Reviewed 4 January 2013 via mobile

Not a bad hotel! This is my second stay. I was not upgraded rooms as I typically am for being a platinum club member. The water was from Family Express which was a bit odd to me. Breakfast was typical. Room was an ice box upon arrival. I wish they had a thermostat because I woke up several times adjusting the temp. It was pretty clean so I would stay again!

• Stayed January 2013
1 Thank Chdcarro
Robert B, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Valparaiso, responded to this review, 5 January 2013
Thank you for your review of our hotel and being a platinum member with IHG. I do apologize for your room being cold when you arrived. We try to turn the heat on for our arrival rooms with reservations although with walk-in guests this practice gets hard at times. I would love the opportunity to speak with you if possible.

Thank you again for the positive rating!

Robert Bartley
219-464-9395
Austin, Texas, United States
Reviewed 19 December 2012

Very Nice hotel in a Great location, right by shopping and good restaurants! Breakfast is wonderful as is the staff and manager Rob!! Highly recommend this for your stay in Valpo!! Dont forget to go for a swim in their indoor pool and they also have a hot tub!!

• Stayed December 2012, travelled on business
RobGeneralManager, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Valparaiso, responded to this review, 5 January 2013
Beth,

It was a great pleasure to have you stay with us and I look forward to having you back. Thank you for the awesome compliments, it's always great to know that we made someone’s stay a memorable one.

Robert Bartley
Also consider these accommodations in or near Valparaiso
Hampton Inn & Suites Valparaiso
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Valparaiso
Quality Inn & Suites Valparaiso
Fairfield Inn & Suites Valparaiso
Hilton Garden Inn Chesterton
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Portage

Been to Holiday Inn Express Valparaiso? Share your experiences!