“Decent stay”

Holiday Inn Express Valparaiso
Ranked #4 of 7 Hotels in Valparaiso
Reviewed 21 June 2014

Second time staying while visiting Valpo. Very nice, friendly staff. Quick, efficient check in. Gave us a choice of first or second floor which was nice. Breakfast was standard fare - pretty good. Beds were comfy, rooms were clean. Only minor complaint would be the air conditioners cutting on and off all night at the wall units. All in all a nice choice. We would stay here again especially if they honor Valpo family discounts.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Doug A, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Valparaiso, responded to this reviewResponded 3 July 2014

Hello OHcampers,

Thanks for staying with us again while you were in Valpo! It's always nice to hear about our guests arriving to a friendly presence at the front desk and a nice, clean room to sleep in.

I'm really sorry about the air conditioner intermittently cutting on and off though. During the summer months the hotter nights can lead to the units having to cycle more to keep a constant temperature. We just finished a thorough cleaning of all of our units so they should be operating at peak efficiency now!

I hope you had a nice visit with your family and look forward to seeing you next time.

Doug A

Reviewed 3 June 2014

I am a Gold member and front desk thanked me for my loyalty. I was a little sad they didn't have the Otis Spunkmeyer cookies. I was told that because it was a busy weekend with so many kids, that they chose not to put them out. After a 3 hour car ride I was really looking forward to having a cookie. Oh well.

Our room was clean, TV worked, breakfast was your standard HIE offering. Front desk staff was nice and helpful. Hotel grounds were well kept and clean. Biggest complaint if I had to come up with one was the shower head. Absolutely the worst. I am totally cool with hotels being 'green' and saving energy, water, etc. But please don't do it at the expense of your guests comfort. I had a hard enough time getting shampoo out of my guy hair, for women, good luck...Plenty of hot water though which was nice. Just needs a lot more pressure. Room 228 had a nice view of trees and other greenery.

Overall I am giving 4 stars. If I return to the Dunes I would stay here again.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Erik V
Margaret L, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Express Valparaiso, responded to this reviewResponded 6 June 2014

Thank you for staying with us and we appreciate you being such a loyal guest. Our apologies for not having the cookies out. We realize how much our guests enjoy them. We look forward to have you as our guest the next time you are in the Valparaiso area.

Reviewed 1 June 2014

I often stay at HI Express properties. I find the quality fairly consistent. This one was better than most -- and they all tend to be pretty good (at least dozen or more I've been to). First off, I rarely comment or care about what happens at the front desk as long as they are efficient. The person who was at the desk that night was exceptionally good. Friendly, fast and helpful. That was impressive because you sometimes get one or two of those qualities but not all three. As for the location, it was in a quiet area with a variety of restaurants within a mile or so. Hotel was clean and well maintained -- at least by the evidence of some work being done. Room was clean, too -- always important. Bedding was comfortable. Towels in good shape. Breakfast offerings were OK. Fitness facility was minimal -- just a few cardio machines. I saw no suggestions of the other problems cited in other reviews, but things can happen anywhere and personnel can change. I had a good experience there.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank speedz2
Margaret L, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Express Valparaiso, responded to this reviewResponded 5 June 2014

Thank you for the very nice words. It is guests like yourself that make us love what we do. We believe in taking care of our customers and hope that you will visit us again the next time you visit the Valparaiso area.

Reviewed 9 May 2014

We were greeted as we stepped up to the counter and thanked for our status with IHG. Check in was done w/o incident.
When we walked into the room we got a free gift...a sock had been left on the floor from a past guest. How does house cleaning miss this?? This un-nerved us, but everything else worked out well. No other house keeping issues.
We were more than happy with the free breakfast. A great bonus for this hotel. Well stocked and seemed very fresh.
Just so you know the beds are very hard and stiff. I would like better beds. Sleep quality was not all that great.
I would have no issues with staying here again....minus the sock thing and the beds

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Margaret L, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Express Valparaiso, responded to this reviewResponded 19 May 2014

Our apologies for leaving an article in your room prior to your checking in. We appreciate you bringing that to our attention so it doesn't happen again. We look forward to having you stay with us next time you visit the Valparaiso area.

Reviewed 1 April 2014

I almost never contact the front desk of a hotel... but this visit required many phone calls and visits. We more recently book Holiday Inn's because we have two young children under 2 and these hotels have been pretty family friendly and easy for us.This hotel was dirty and poorly managed. Check-in took an unusually long time with staff answering phone calls and continually telling me they'd be with my in a moment. It was a good wait before someone appeared to take another call and then help me. I was given a code for the free wifi that expired the week before it said "valid through 3/23." (We were checking in 3/29). I walked to the front desk to ask if there was a new code and they seemed very annoyed that I'd caught the error. When we got to our room, we were immediately disappointed with the room - it was dirty. There was trash in our trash can (a half eaten McDonalds sandwich and another wrapped leftover). When I went to the front desk (again) - they seemed very annoyed that I was mentioning it. I asked if the room had been cleaned because there was trash in the trash can... she checked and said "yeah, it says it was cleaned". Well... either your cleaning staff disposed of their half eaten sandwich, or they neglected to clean the room. The room above ours was loud all day, and we thought we'd wait and hope it would calm down in the evening. When we returned to our room at 9 at night - the room above ours was even louder. I called the front desk and tried to politely complain - they said they'd take care of it. It got louder. I waited 20 minutes and called again.- the front desk manager told me "I tried calling them and no one answered... so I guess I could go up there when I get a chance." I also inquired about late check out and was told "sure, how about noon?" Noon is the regular check out time... it was labeled on the door... on the internet... on my check in paper! I said "I'm pretty sure noon is the regular check out time," to which she replied "let me check.... [indistinct talking] how about 12:30"... how about no... Somehow I negotiated 1pm, but our night got a lot worse. The noise upstairs continued all night. The walls were paper thin and we could hear every conversation and TV show from our neighbors... we got next to no sleep. When our 2 year old woke up we decided to get the hell out of there. The shower had poor water pressure and the breakfast was cold and regrettable. The staff seemed annoyed that people were staying at the hotel. The pool was almost always without towels (I overhead two different people asking the front desk where the towels were). My 2 year old found trash in our room next to the nightstand and behind the chair and we found a very strange brown lump of something on a pillow we didn't use. We just felt gross and couldn't wait to get out of there.

Room Tip: Tip: Stay somewhere else.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Valparaiso, responded to this reviewResponded 17 April 2014

Dear travelzoe,

Ben J
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed 4 March 2014

Stayed with a baseball team for a tournament weekend. Clean, large hotel. Comfortable rooms. Nice Pool. Continental breakfast, Powdered eggs (bleh) and the pancake machine was broken but there was enough pastry and cereal and sausage and biscuits to suffice. There are plenty of restaurants in the area as well as shopping.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family

Thank you for staying with us. We are glad that you find items on the breakfast buffet that you enjoyed. We hope that you will come back to visit us again while in the Valparaiso area.

Reviewed 26 February 2014

This Holiday Inn Express is staffed by a great group of people, super friendly and quick to respond to any need or request. Fairly new or newly renovated and squeaky clean. Only issue was the wifi. It was pretty slow and constantly lost connection. If you are just checking email this will be no problem. If wifi is important to you, you may want to inquire if this has been addressed.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo

Thank you for bringing the wi-fi situation to our attention. We have worked to double the speed of the wi-fi with our current carrier to eliminate future situations. Please come back next time you are in the Valparaiso area, we would love to have you as our guest.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Valparaiso
Country Inn & Suites by Radisson, Valparaiso, IN
Hampton Inn & Suites Valparaiso
Fairfield Inn & Suites Valparaiso
Quality Inn & Suites Valparaiso
Hilton Garden Inn Chesterton
WaterBird Lakeside Inn
WaterBird Lakeside Inn
#4 of 5 in Chesterton

Been to Holiday Inn Express Valparaiso? Share your experiences!