“Welcoming, friendly and relaxing”
Review of Inn at Aberdeen

Inn at Aberdeen
Ranked #2 of 2 Valparaiso B&B and Inns
Reviewed 4 February 2010

I stay at the Inn frequently on business travel, and the staff are always kind and courteous. The rooms are always spacious, clean, and comfortable. It is a very welcomed change from the typical business hotel. Breakfast is generous, healthy, and the servers are pleasant and accomodating. I have read some negative reviews, and I have to wonder what frame of mind the writer was in as I've stayed at the Inn at least a dozen times over the past few years, and I've never experienced ANY of the issues those guests referred to. If you are looking for a nice getaway, I highly recommend the Inn at Aberdeen.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled on business
1  Thank Michigantraveler10
There are newer reviews for Inn at Aberdeen

Reviewed 4 February 2010

We finally got a night away for our anniversary. My husband and I got married at Valparaiso University 7 years ago. We rented out the entire Inn for the weekend for our family and bridal party. Everyone absolutely loved it. The girls and I were able to get ready for the wedding at the Inn while my future husband and groomsmen were hidden downstairs playing cards. We also had our rehearsal dinner there. Great food! We still have friends that talk about how perfect it was to have the whole place to ourselves before and after the wedding.

We decided we wanted to stay there for our anniversary without our 3 kids. We checked in early evening and walked over the Trio's restaurant right across the street (great crab pasta!!!). We walked around the neighborhood (very cute) and enjoyed a quiet evening (with cheesecake dessert from the Inn's snack bar). The breakfast was great and my husband and I enjoyed talking with another couple that stayed at the Inn. After 4 years of not taking a night away from the kids, this was perfect!

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Indyphoto_mom
Reviewed 30 October 2009

Where do I begin. We had a terrible time finding the place, it is not well marked. We arrived after dark, and the innkeeper greeted us. Made us pay up front, which we were suspicious of. Wish we would have read these reviews first! Why didn't I remember about Trip Advisor???
It is right beside a very busy road, and the first thing we noted was the loud road noise. Anyway, the house is beautiful, no need for debate there. Very nice furnishings. Well stocked refreshment area. However, we were shown our room and to be fair, the innkeeper was nice and carried our two suitcases up the tall staircase for us. We got into the room, and the TV remote was not programmed correctly. The local channels were not obtainable, but the satellite channels were. After he messed with it for about 10 minutes, he offered to come back later to reprogram it, and we were tired and declined. We went downstairs for refreshments, and then returned later to our room. Mind you this was getting to be mid-evening, and we were about ready to go to bed after a long day of travelling. As we prepared for bed, we noticed that there was a used q-tip and hair all over the bathroom floor. We were too tired to make a big deal of it and I just cleaned some of it up with paper towels. It just made me wonder if the room was even clean or if there were even fresh sheets on the bed. In the middle of the night, we noticed that the extremely loud handle on the toilet (not the flow of water mind you, but the actual mechanism) was just as loud in the bedroom area as it was in the marble bathroom. So every time one of us had to use the facilities in the night, it awoke the other one.
In the morning, we noted that the carpet was dirty...looked like it had not even been vacuumed. Stains all over the place. We also discovered a satin ribbon that said "David's Bridal" that had come off a dress, we supposed, along with other loose debris all over the carpet. It just left a bad feeling about the general cleanliness, or lack thereof, of our accommodations.
We went down to the breakfast, and we had to eat in the kitchen as the main dining area was set up for some sort of business breakfast. The innkeeper asked if we had slept well, and we told him about the toilet and the uncleanliness of the room. He said that the toilets had to be that way as they were low flow, and that he had hired some 'high-schoolers to clean who were not that interested in working". Tell me, if you thought that about someone in your employ, would you not go behind them and check to see if they had, indeed, cleaned? He apologized but offered no recompense. We felt he could have cared less.
We scurried out of there immediately after breakfast (which by the way, was pretty good) as we were just frustrated by his lack of concern about our less-than-acceptable stay. I've stayed at far less expensive places that had three times the service and cleanliness 100 times better than this overpriced establishment. We felt totally disgusted with our stay. Would not advise staying there at all.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled with friends
3  Thank snooksmama
Reviewed 6 October 2009

I had a bad experience at this B&B. I planned to stay there over a weekend (2 nights) to get much needed rest and good food. To my disappointment, once I got there I realized that the place was noisier than my home in Chicago, since it's located by a State Hwy. The breakfast was awful - to the extent that the couple with whom I shared a table barely ate their food. I decided to cut my stay short and left after the first night, but when I talked to the lady at the front desk to ask for a refund for the second night (I had been asked to pay up front) she said they would refund only 50% even though I had booked the room just the day before. I'm sure you can find a much better place for the $160/night this place charges.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled solo
5  Thank cafuringa
Reviewed 24 July 2008

I have mixed feelings about this property. It does not feel like a b&b, but more like a hotel. Although beautifully furnished, and convenient, it is adjacent to a busy thoroughfare and located in a business park. The room was lovely, the bed comfortable and the whirlpool divine. That said, at 6:30 AM the next morning, the downstairs became very noisy as countless business people arrived for some type of a breakfast meeting. There was no sleeping after that started. The breakfast room is pretty, but the breakfast was absolutely nothing special, served by very nice, but clearly hired young women. No owner/operator contact. In short, this is a pretty, well located hotel, masquerading as a b&b. Not a bad stay, but not that memorable , either.

• Stayed: July 2007, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
1  Thank IllinoisTraveler83
Reviewed 24 June 2008

I recently attended a wedding rehearsal dinner at the Inn at Aberdeen. The waitress spilled a brown sauce on my white pants and dry clean only scarf (fine, accidents happen). She asked if she had spilled on me and when I acknowledged, she simply walked away without apologizing or attending to the problem. After I realized nothing was going to be done, I sought out the manager in order to attempt a clean up. Eventually, I was able to get the spot out of my pants, but contacted the owner to cover my dry cleaning bill for the scarf. He advised me that they were not responsible for "accidents that occurred on their property" and suggested that I contact the people WHO SCHEDULED THE PARTY! He wanted the groom's parents to pay for the mistake that HIS EMPLOYEE made.

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled as a couple
4  Thank RachelChicagoland
Reviewed 17 April 2008

My parents booked this location for the night of our wedding. We both grew up in Valparaiso and got married there, but don't currently live there so needed a nice place to stay the night of our wedding. This was perfect. The room was cozy and the jacuzzi tub was spendid. We were accomidated to check in late at night after our wedding so that we did not have to worry about it during the day while we were preparing and taking pictures. We had a bottle of champagne waiting for us, I believe from my parents. Everything was very clean and staff hospitable. The next day we enjoyed a filling and delicious breakfast with some of our out of town wedding guests who also stayed there. My favorite parts were the jacuzzi and breakfast. My only complaint is we weren't able to stay longer than one short night.

• Stayed: August 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
1  Thank ktsaus
Also consider these accommodations in or near Valparaiso
WaterBird Lakeside Inn
WaterBird Lakeside Inn
#4 of 5 in Chesterton
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Valparaiso
Hampton Inn & Suites Valparaiso
Hilton Garden Inn Chesterton
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Portage
Holiday Inn Express Valparaiso

Been to Inn at Aberdeen? Share your experiences!