“Good value and experience”

Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Valparaiso
Ranked #3 of 7 Hotels in Valparaiso
Reviewed 3 September 2013

It's a fairly new hotel just off a highway at a traffic circle, and it doesn't make a great outdoor impression--there is not a lot of parking, some of it is rather hard to get to, and part of the lot was not lit at night. Indoors, however, I found it to be a comfortable and well-equipped facility with a helpful, friendly staff. The small indoor pool and hot tub were a plus, and the hot breakfast was very good. I'd say it's somewhat above average but could use some "image building" outside to make it compete with other nearby hotels a little better. And holding the line on cost will help--there are some nicer facilities nearby.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank xhoosierjs1

Reviewed 1 August 2013 via mobile

We travel quite frequently and almost always stay at Country Inn & Suites. So when we decided to come to Valpo, we immediately searched for and found this hotel. We were very excited because we knew what to expect...fantastic service, clean and spacious rooms, and a delicious breakfast. Unfortunately that is not what we found when we arrived for our 4 night stay. The room was so dirty, if I didn't see the made bed and folded towels, I wouldn't have thought it had been cleaned. I'm sure our room wasn't vacuumed before we arrived. There are lots of stains on the floor and arm chair. The toilet looks as if it hasn't been scrubbed in over a year. There was trash under the dressers and side tables when we arrived and it was never picked up. The faucet and handle in the shower were spotted as if they hadn't been wiped since the last time someone took a shower. There is a mysterious yellow substance in the freezer of the refrigerator, and I was afraid to put any of our ice packs in it.
After the first "cleaning" during our stay, it was evident our room still hadn't been vacuumed, so I asked the front desk if I could borrow a vacuum to do it myself. A woman grabbed a vacuum from the office and immediately came up to vacuum our room. The rest of our stay was fairly uneventful. However, I did not let our kids walk barefoot on the floor and tried to keep them from sitting on the floor as much as possible. Also, when they took a bath, I put a hand towel in the tub for them to sit on since I wasn't sure it was ever cleaned.
The staff is really nice and helpful, unfortunately there just isn't enough of them to properly maintain this hotel.
This Valpo location does not represent the Country Inn & Suites brand at all! We will not be returning.

• Stayed: July 2013
2  Thank tennvols2009
Carlson Hotels C, Online Customer Support at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Valparaiso, responded to this reviewResponded 8 August 2013

Please accept our sincere apology for failing to deliver the comfortable and memorable experience you expect to enjoy from a Country Inn & Suites property. Our team works hard to make sure all of our guests feel comfortable and we are sorry to hear we let you down during your recent stay. Please know we are taking the necessary steps to ensure our guests aren't met with a similar situation in the future. Thank you for your feedback and we hope to be of better service to you in the future.

Reviewed 7 July 2013 via mobile

This hotel was nice and clean. Great amenities in the bathroom including mouthwash. Breakfast was good had bacon and eggs one day and sausage and eggs the next. It seemed a little pricey for a small town.

• Stayed: July 2013
Reviewed 28 May 2013

This property is in a great location for whatever brings you to Valparaiso. It is literally just two minutes to campus, so if you're in town for a VU function, this is the place to stay. Front desk staff members were very friendly and helpful, and the property is clean and well-maintained. Beds were comfortable and even though the hotel was full on our first night there, noise was not a problem.

The complimentary breakfast was a little below average for a Country Inn & Suites property (oatmeal barely warm, only plastic juice glasses, inconvenient placement of items, and extremely crowded SMALL dining room), but that's not a deal-breaker for me.

Having stayed at other nearby hotels in Valpo, I would have to say that for the value and level of service received, this is a very good choice.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank ksfmom
Derrick L, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Valparaiso, responded to this reviewResponded 30 May 2013

ksfmom,

Thank you for staying with us during your recent trip to Valparaiso and taking time to review our hotel! We are certainly glad to hear that enjoyed our hotel and had great rest while here.

I am sorry the breakfast was not on par with other Country Inn and Suites. I appreciate the feedback and will look to improve the breakfast.

I hope to see you again in the future and thank you again for reviwing our property.

Have a great day!

Reviewed 26 May 2013

Passing through on Memorial Day weekend we booked online and got a great room for 5000 points + $65. Check in was smooth and room was very clean. Breakfast lived up to the quality expected and often provided by CI&S's. Will stay here again on a trip through the area.

Nice restaurant selection nearby as well!

Room Tip: The two queens is a bit small when traveling with kids.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
Derrick L, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Valparaiso, responded to this reviewResponded 28 May 2013

AdamGBWI,

I happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. Club Carlson is a wonderful program and the bonuses are great. We appreciate the feedback on your stay and look forward to seeing you again in the future!

Reviewed 5 November 2012

I had the good fortune to spend a weekend at this hotel while I attended a wedding at the University. The service at this hotel is amazing! The front desk people and manager, Derrick, are eager to do anything they can to accommodate you. I highly recommend this hotel to anyone staying in the Valparasio area!

Room Tip: From what I could see there ARE no bad rooms! :)
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
Derrick L, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Valparaiso, responded to this reviewResponded 6 November 2012

Msfighter,

We are so glad that you enjoyed your stay with us! We hope to see you again in the future when you're back in the area.

Reviewed 22 October 2012

Our rooms were reserved a month in advance by my brother. We traveled 11 hours to get there. I am a widow and was there with my sister and brother in law to celebrate my brother and sister in laws 50th anniversary who lives in Indiana. We were to have rooms side by side but I got sent upstairs. That was a disaster...the bus load of Chinese were out in the hall making so much noise and talking in Chinese. I was up most of the night. I know you gave me a reduction in the price but I think it should have been more than what you gave me for the hastle that I went through. I am 75 years old. I do have to tell you that the room was very comfortable and nicely decorated. You put out a very nice breakfast for your guests and I did enjoy that until the Chinese gang came in and they just took over the whole place so we left. The second morning, we had to leave at 6am to start for Pa. as it is an 11 hour drive home so did not get to eat. breakfast. .

Room Tip: I would recommend your place to all travelers to stay there. If it was not for the mix up with the r...
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Eleanor P
Derrick L, Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Valparaiso, responded to this reviewResponded 25 October 2012

Hello Eleanor,

I am glad that you found our rooms to be comfortable and that you would stay here again! It's always nice to see familiar faces.

I am truly sorry about not being able to keep you near your family during stay. I am also sorry about the noise levels throughout the hotel.

Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel and share your experience with me.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Valparaiso
Hampton Inn & Suites Valparaiso
Holiday Inn Express Valparaiso
Quality Inn & Suites Valparaiso
Fairfield Inn & Suites Valparaiso
Hilton Garden Inn Chesterton
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Portage

Been to Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Valparaiso? Share your experiences!