“best fish and chips!”

Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Lafayette Street
Transit: V Line Downtown Valparaiso
Description: Located in historic downtown Valparaiso, Bistro 157 serves an internationally influenced eclectic menu in an upscale, but casually "hip" ambiance. Chef Nicole trained in France 5 years and brings to your table gourmet cuisine paired with wines from a Wine Spectator Award Winning list.
Reviewed 6 November 2012

I love the fish and chips dish at 157 bistro. The cole slaw has a dressing of malt vineger which makes the crusted fish so good. The combination of these flavors will make you crave the fish and chips. The restaurant is cute with a large selection of sofisticated wines to try. It doesnt have to be a Friday to have fish and chips. The thing about the chips is that they are actually boiled potatoes, so the calories are lower then if you had french fries.

Reviewed 4 October 2012

Worst experience at a restaurant, ever. My wife and I decided to go to Valpo for the first time for dinner.

We walked in early evening, asked for a table for 2, and the host said, "All these tables are reserved. We only have bar seating." I kindly asked how long of a wait it would be for a table, and his answer was, "A long time."

A long time!? What the heck kind of answer is "A long time"!? Speechless and totally appalled, we immediately walked out. Even worse, there were only 3-4 tables occupied out of about 15-20. As we walked out, we realized there was seating outside, but they failed to even offer outside seating.

Yeah, we're never going back. We went to Bon Femme Cafe across the street, they seated us immediately, enjoyed great food, and was treated kindly and graciously. You're better off going there, don't even bother with Bistro 157.

3  Thank Jonathan S
Reviewed 27 June 2012

We usually love 157--except for last night! The bread looked like plain whole wheat from a grocery store--like Wonder bread, right down to the uniform slices. Just "plain ol' stuff." The pork-vegetable soup was lukewarm, and tasted like it was from a can. This was an un-crowded Tuesday night, but dinner took 3 1/2 hours--for only had 2 courses. Service was incredibly slow!
Sorry, 157, but these loyal customers will not be back anytime soon.

2  Thank madelinew644
Reviewed 26 May 2012

Because it was Valpo commencement weekend we made a reservation 2 weeks in advance. Upon arrival, we were informed that no reservation existed. The hostess actually asked if I was SURE I had called Bistro 157. (I did check my phone records later and confirmed the date and time of the call.) She said she couldn't really do anything to help us but if we wanted to wait until a table cleared we were free to do so. There was no offer of a place to sit or, in the spirit of good customer relations, a complimentary beverage while we waited. She clearly either didn't believe us or just didn't think we were worthy. We walked over to Pikk's which was also booked but managed to have us seated in 15 minutes, served a wonderful meal, and provided excellent, friendly service.

3  Thank Alto329
Reviewed 30 April 2012

My daughter and I had dinner at this restaurant on a recent visit to the College. I have to say that I was not impressed. My daughter ordered the Chicken Du Jour which was very bland and I ordered one of the daily specials, the Halibut which was tasteless also. Will not return.

1  Thank lakefront