“A very poor showing”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Brookfield, WI
“A very poor showing”
Reviewed 23 June 2014

I have to disagree with the other reviews. This place must be the last Courtyard on the planet in line for an update. The hotel is straight out of the late 70's. There is NO elevator here and that is not mentioned anywhere on the Marriott site...leave your heavy bags at home. They did not have our room ready at the 3pm check-in time. The "free" coffee was more like brown dishwater. Coffeemaker in the room was broken.

Our room was "cleaned" once during our stay. "Cleaned" is being kind: Housekeeping picked up the towels off the floor and gave us new disposable coffee cups...that's it. No new sundries, no additional clean towels, trash was not emptied, etc.

I am a very frequent traveler and a long-time Marriott customer and this place is the worst I have been in for over 10 years. WELL below the usual Marriott standard.

But then again it's Valpo, your options are limited...and whoever runs this Courtyard knows they have you by the short hairs....

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank KKev77
Stan I, General Manager at Quality Inn & Suites Valparaiso, responded to this review, 24 June 2014
Dear Kevin,

Thank you very much for taking the time and providing us with your feedback. I'm sorry to hear your stay was not up to your standards, I apologize for that. I would like to assure you this is not typical for our property so your words are of great concern to me and necessary steps have been taken to ensure guest satisfaction in the future.
Thank you again for staying with us.

Stan Iliev

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Jackson, Tennessee
Reviewed 10 June 2014

I stayed here in early June 2014. Beds were comfortable, breakfast was great, pool was nice. Decor is a little tired, but I barely noticed this. Staff are very friendly, and the manager did everything he could to help us find a couple of clothing items that went AWOL from the room during the housekeeper's visit. Got 2 of the 3 items back, which was better than I had expected.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Stan I, General Manager at Quality Inn & Suites Valparaiso, responded to this review, 13 June 2014
Dear Scott,

Thank you for taking the time and providing us with your feedback. I'm glad to hear you enjoyed your stay and we were able to find the items you left behind. Please come back and visit next time you are in town.

Mechanicsburg, PA
Reviewed 9 June 2014

I recently spent three nights in this hotel while attending a conference at Valparaiso University. The staff is outstanding. Very warm and friendly. They even told me the best way to cross Route 30 on foot so I could get some personal items at WalMart. The rooms are clean. They have around the clock coffee and a solid hot breakfast. Not the newest hotel on the block (I stayed her 12 years for another meeting at the university) but workable.

My only group was the fact that my room had some kind water tank behind the closet that ran constantly during my visit. It sounded like someone was running water into a bathtub and it was loud. The first night it bothered me and the staff offered to change rooms, but I decided it was more of a hassle to pack all my stuff and move than it was to deal with the sound. I lived through it, but a light sleeper who needs a good rest should avoid this room at all costs.

Room Tip: Avoid room 205. See my review above
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank jjacfea
Stan I, General Manager at Quality Inn & Suites Valparaiso, responded to this review, 12 June 2014
Thank you for taking the time and submitting your review online. I'm glad that you enjoyed your stay and the staff made a good impression on you. I apologize for the issues you had with the noise in your room-I have communicated that to our maintenance team to ensure the issue has been resolved and I'll work closely with my team to ensure things like that does not happen again in the future. Thank you for staying with us and for your loyalty to the Marriott Family of Brands.

Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 7 June 2014

Needed to fly to Valpo for a family funeral and hotels in the area were expensive at the last minute, relative to the area and what I have paid before. Some were even fully booked (good for the local economy!)! Anyway, on checking in after a long flight and drive, the lady at the front desk asked me about the nature of my stay and I mentioned that I was there for a funeral. Without skipping a beat, she offered condolences and then gave us the bereavement rate which saved us nearly $100 on our stay. How nice and thoughtful, honestly, particularly in an era where airlines cut this years ago. I can't remember her name but she was working the afternoon at the front desk on Wednesday, June 4 2014. Anyway, you will definitely have my business next time we are in town. Thanks again, our grandma would have been very pleased with that… :)

Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank scanner96
I would like to thank you for your kind words and offer my condolences. I'm glad you enjoyed your stay and our staff made a good impression on you. I'm happy we were able to accommodate you during your stay and we were able to provide you with a bereavement rate. Please come back and see us anytime-it would be our pleasure to serve you again!

Harrison, Michigan, United States
Reviewed 24 May 2014

Nice facility and was able to plug our electric Volt over night. Internet works fine, had good TV connection, small refrigerator and microwave oven. Room was clean and bed was nice and firm, but did find a couple of maintenance issues like not working water plug for the bath tub and the long hairline cracked bathroom sink in our room. This could be just one out of hundred or so rooms in this facility. Notified the manager. The breakfast was first class and good service. Also had more variety of breakfast items than most of the other motels we've stayed. The swimming pool was under renovation but the management arranged the customers to use the swimming pool nearby another motel.

Room Tip: If you have an electric car, this place has 110 V plug for your vehicle.
Green Features: The staff was friendly and the facility is clean both inside and outside.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Stan I, General Manager at Quality Inn & Suites Valparaiso, responded to this review, 27 May 2014
Dear Mr. Lee,

Thank you very much for choosing our property and for taking the time to rate your experience. I'm glad you enjoyed your stay and we were able to accomodate you with a plug in for your electric vehicle. Guest satisfaction is our top priority here at the Courtyard Valparaiso so knowing that you enjoyed our breakfast and staff means a lot. I apologize our pool was closed during your visit- we had to close it for week due to renovation but I'm happy to say both the indoor and outdoor pools are now open and looking great- I really hope you get a chance to come back to the area soon so you can take advantage of this amenity. We have also addressed the maintenance issues in your room-thank you very much for communicating that to the staff.
Thank you again for staying with us and and I hope to see you next time!

Beecher, Illinois
Reviewed 28 April 2014

To: Joel Mindykowski -

Please know that I was VERY impressed by your assistance throughout this entire process.

Michelle and I couldn't have asked for a better coordinator. I was impressed with you, your attention to detail, and your PRESENCE the entire evening on Friday as well. (Group held an on site cocktail party) Many places and people do not make the effort to be present during an event such as ours.... and you did.

The added attention to putting our event on the Marquee was a real boost for our group!

Also, Lauren was a terrific bartender and her personality is adorable.

As for your desk staff and Maintenance Staff WOWWWWWW!!!!

Everyone went out of their way - all weekend - to assist our group, and I was very grateful for that. You and your staff at the Courtyard by Marriott are fabulous and I would be happy to recommend your hotel to anyone considering a group stay there.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Stan I, General Manager at Quality Inn & Suites Valparaiso, responded to this review, 12 May 2014
Dear Lisa,

Thank you very much for the kind words-I'll defientely pass them along to Lauren and Joel as I know they'll appreciate that. I'm really glad you and your group enjoyed your stay and had a great time at the reception. Thank you for staying with us and I hope to see you back soon.

Reviewed 21 April 2014 via mobile

We stayed with the family this past Easter weekend and the place is nice and the staff is very, very helpful and friendly. The pool is small and that area could use some updating. The breakfast is the standard offering but can be upgraded which is a nice option. The breakfast room is a nice get-together area in the evenings for large families or groups. The only disappointment was the bathroom in our room was not well cleaned-lots of hair on the floor and the tub-yuck! So better cleaning and this would be a really nice place to stay.

Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Dear Cari,
Thank you for taking the time and providing is with your feedback. I'm glad you had a great stay and would consider us again in the future. I apologize for the housekeeping issues, I would like to assure you this is not typical for our hotel and I have already communicated that to my leadership team to ensure it never happens again.
Thank you again for staying with us and I hope to see you back soon.

Best wishes,

Stan Iliev
Also consider these accommodations in or near Valparaiso
Holiday Inn Express Valparaiso
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Valparaiso
Hampton Inn & Suites Valparaiso
Fairfield Inn & Suites Valparaiso
Hilton Garden Inn Chesterton
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Portage

Been to Quality Inn & Suites Valparaiso? Share your experiences!