“This hotel has an attitude!”

Quality Inn & Suites Valparaiso
Ranked #7 of 7 Hotels in Valparaiso
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 30 June 2010

This hotel has an attitude about Priceline customers. We arrived at 2:00 pm and were told that "our" room would not be ready until 3:00 p.m. which was checkin time. When the shift changed, the second clerk informed us at 3:10 we would be "told when our room was ready." I explained that we had traveled two days for an open house from 2-5 and we were already missing it. One of the hotel personnel happened to overhear and said "the room is ready." The clerk pointed out something on the card to him (our perception was that we were Priceline). She still did not wani to release the room to us. There was an "attitude" going on with some of the staff. There were no elevators, the halls were not airconditioned. The safety doors were propped open with rocks and there was trash piled all around the trash cans outside. No free breakfas. Rooms were comfortable and well cooled, the indoor/outdoor pool seemed well used, grounds are nice, location is convenient , But the bottom line is we checked out a day early even with a no refund policy from Priceline.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Booker41
There are newer reviews for Quality Inn & Suites Valparaiso

Reviewed 1 June 2010

We just stayed here for my son's wedding. We booked lots of rooms, both king and doubles. I was treated nicer here than many high-end places I have stayed at in the past. The hotel was totally booked with sports teams so it was kind of crazy but all of our requests were completely accomodated, in a friendly and professional manner. The breakfast was delicious and everyone on the staff was courteous and eager to please. Danielle, the manager, was a delight to work with. The rooms and common areas were very clean.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 24 May 2010

Great service at the front desk. Very helpful. Cannot say enough about the great staff. We had a problem the first night with loud, talkative folks in the next room (could not sleep) - we asked to have our room changed.

• Stayed: May 2010
Reviewed 9 March 2010

After a long drive with a 3 year old we were thrilled to arrive at what appeared to be a moderately nice hotel. The desk staff was efficient and gave me all of the info that I would need. Our room was clean, and the overall feel of the hotel was as well. The pool and hot tub were very clean, and the room seemed well taken care of. Our shower, however grossed me out. I am not a fan of ANY hair in my OWN shower, let alone other people's body hairs in my hotel shower. There were several hairs of varying types that could be easily seen by the naked eye all over the bathroom. I didn't even want to take off my flip flops to get into the shower. I'm not a complainer, so just tried to rinse the majority of them off of the edges, and the walls with a washcloth. The beds were average on comfort, but I did appreciate the extra effort on quality pillows. Being Marriott members, we've come to have certain expectations of their hotels. The next morning, I went downstairs to get a cup of decaf tea. The "hot water" was not even lukewarm. I put my teabag in it and nothing happened. Finally after a couple of minutes, I felt the water, and took it to the front desk, just explaining that I didn't want to throw the entire cup of water in their trashcan, hoping they could dispose better. The front desk lady was friendly, but in a "Meet the parents flight attendant" type of way. She smiled and said, "oh, thanks! - I'll change that out" Not, oh, sorry, or I will get you some hot water right away, etc... So, I compromised and got decaf coffee...ugh...there were so many grounds in it that I got one sip in and had to pitch that cup up in my room. I was also disappointed that they charged $7 per person for a hotel "hot" breakfast. There are sub-standard hotels that offer free hot breakfasts. We skipped it entirely and headed to Starbucks. Valpo did not appear to be a large city, so if you are staying here, I would say that it is fine for a night or two, but I wouldn't recommend it much more than that. I would also comment that the GM was MORE than helpful and friendly, however, I only got to speak to her one time and it was to ask directions.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 7 March 2010

I had to travel out of state with my wife and 1 yr old child to go to a family baptism that was the following day. Now mind you my child has never stayed at a hotel. We were very nervous visting a hotel and a hotel that was 100's of miles from home. We packed heavy, 2 of everything went (new parents :) ). When we arrived at the hotel we were greated by the front desk clerk, who was very excited for us to be there, ( 1st impression --awesome). The hotel was increitbly clean, Now in my haste to locate a hotel i had accidentally booked a double bed room. The front desk clerk had switched us to a king room, she put up a pack n play, and made sure it was close to the pool. Obviously being the first time at the hotel, it was very welcoming that the GM of the hotel came to set up the pack and play. I can understand if one of the employees does it, but the GM? All the staff was very gracious and smiled and waived every time we saw them. Overall A ++ to the hotel and it's staff, top to bottom was very enjoyable.

Comfy bed, happy staff, Pool, Gret breakfast, primo location.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 11 February 2010

We stayed one light very last minute because we chose to leave a day early on a 6 hour driving trip because of an impending snow storm. Valparaiso was 2 hours into our trip so we planned to stop there so I bid on a room on Priceline. The place was okay--but very glad we only had to stay one night. I have stayed in other Courtyards, and this one certainly does not measure up. The person working at the front desk must not have realized she was working in the hospitality industry. Not at all welcoming. The rooms that are at ground level are very noisy due to the parking lot. Furnishings, etc. are about as cheap as you can get. They do have free internet though! We didn't arrive until 11:30PM and we were out the door by 8AM. Would not recommend it for an extended stay of any kind.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 24 October 2009

Location is very convenient to Valparaiso and surrounding communities. Access to restaurants is good. Front desk and housekeeping staff were very helpful. Entire hotel is non-smoking and that is good. (Would have been better if the people across the hallway were not trying to "sneak" cigarettes.) Yes, folks, as an ex-smoker, I can tell you that you can smell cigarettes in the hallway no matter what you are trying to do to cover the smell in the room.

I always try to stay at pet friendly properties regardless if I have dogs along or not. This is pet friendly, but their non-refundable $200 fee that was posted at the front desk seems really high. When we come to town in the future this will factor in on where to stay for family visits or dog shows.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled on business
1  Thank LickingCalcutta
Also consider these accommodations in or near Valparaiso
Hampton Inn & Suites Valparaiso
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Valparaiso
Holiday Inn Express Valparaiso
Fairfield Inn & Suites Valparaiso
Hilton Garden Inn Chesterton
Comfort Inn & Suites
Comfort Inn & Suites
#1 of 1 in Porter

Been to Quality Inn & Suites Valparaiso? Share your experiences!