“Lovely Find!” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Ogle Haus Inn

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Vevay
Ogle Haus Inn
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Vevay
Ohio
“Lovely Find!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 April 2012

Impromptu 2 night getaway hoping to get into Belterra Hotel on a Sunday night. It was booked. They offered their sister property, Ogle Haus Inn and they booked us for a King Balcony Suite at $119 the same cost as a room at Belterra. We drove to VeVay approx 10 minutes west, checked in and were delighted with our room. The bed was comfortable; large space; balcony that was set back in a recess so we were out of the wind. The room was cold and we found out they had already shut off the heat for the season. Within an hour of speaking to the desk clerk, we had heat again.

What we couldn't understand was why we were smelling food for hours in the evening. From a previous post, we now know people must have been living there as we saw a full size outdoor grill. It did not bother us, but it did make us hungry!
I would not call it a quiet place to sit outside during the early evening, as there was much talking, laughing from them. But that was ok with me, and later on it quieted down.

We would actually stay here again instead of Belterra in a suite. But we would check to see if there was a family event or if it was mostly full. The noise does carry outside along the balcony as it is all connected in one long row. We were lucky again like I said earlier, our sitting area was set back and so out of site of people and the wind.

One note: the jacuzzi tub had steps to enter. The shower is also within the tub area. There is a handrail, but it did take some thought as to how to enter and exit it safely!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Shees52

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
  • Thai first
Lexington, Kentucky
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 October 2011

Friends, I had two tickets to a concert at Belleterra Casino and it was very difficult to find a place to stay. Here's why... I either had to stay at the Casino itself and pay $249/night (that wasn't going to happen) or go between 16-25 miles away and stay at a 1 or 2 star hotel in the $70-$90 price range. The Ogle Haus is actually owned and run by Belleterra, is about 6-8 miles down the road and offers 24 hour free shuttle service to/from the casino. I booked the room for $99. Check in was very smooth and I ended up with an upstairs room that overlooked the river. The view was really quite lovely, across the water, with a farm on the other side. I can report that the room, although on the small side, was very nice, the bedding comfy and the bathroom was adequate. There is a bar downstairs that had a killer juke box, and I can report the pizza there is delish. The only drawbacks are that the complimentary breakfast reminded me of something I'd be served at a substandard Motel 6 (cereal, coffee, mini-muffins, juice, period). I also couldn't help but notice that the lobby needed some serious maid service--crumbs and debris on the carpet.... Otherwise, it really was a very nice place and at a price I feel is your best bet. You can always use your savings on the slots in Belleterra....

Room Tip: Spring for the river view!
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
4 Thank KYMary
Nashville
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 October 2011

Although we usually stay at the local B & B, the Ogle Haus is our back up location. Conveniently located, the hotel is right on the Ohio River. Ask for a riverview view room~it's well worth the extra $20. Ground level rooms have patio's and upper level rooms feature wide decks. Both have chairs and small tables. It was very relaxing to watch the activity on the river. We stayed in room 124, ground level, two queens. The beds are comfortable and we also had a small refrigerator and microwave. There is a coffee pot as well. Although we did not use it, there is a shuttle bus that runs to Belterra Casino with a short notice. I believe they will drive you to the casino and return you to the hotel (both properties are owned by the Belterra Corp.) The casino is about a 15 minute trip, maximum. The one negative was that although we had a non smoking room, the people just above us were smokers who constantly threw their cigarette butts down to the grass outside our room. Disheartening, but not a reflection of the hotel. Mo's Steakhouse is close by and has great food. We ate dinner there and I must say, the prime rib and service are both excellent. Breakfast is continental basic-cereal, coffee, pasteries. I orefer the ambience of a bed and breakfast but less cost the Ogle Haus is a suitable alternative.

Room Tip: Riverview is the way to go!
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank GlamRgirl85
Palos Verdes Estates, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 September 2011

My sister and I recently stayed at the Ogle Haus Inn for one night as we were traveling in So. IN. We are both in our 70's and requested a first floor room and since this was about 4:30 p.m. we were told that the only thing avaliable was a room with a king bed. We took that and the room was fine. However, upon leaving the next morning I left my medication in the room meaning to stick it in my purse. That night I discovered what had happened and called the next day. I called both Belterra Corp. and the Ogle Haus Inn. I could not find anyone at that time who could tell me anything. Then on my flight home I called once again from Atlanta and I was told that it had been found. I gave my name, address, phone number and a credit card number for the expense of the mailing. This was a Friday and so I did not call again as I thought it may not have been mailed until Monday. By Wednesday I was calling again and was told that someone would return my call. They never did. I also called Belterra Security and was told the same thing, Not one person returned my call. The final disposition of this did not happen until the following Monday when I finally got someone who allowed me to speak with the manager who informed me that the medication had been turned over to the police and had been destroyed! Really great service! Talk about misinformation and lack of organization. Don't the people who work there ever talk with one another?

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank 4601marlene
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2011

A group of girl friends got together recently and chose The Ogle Haus Inn. What a great find! Crystal and her staff made our stay so nice. The rooms are clean ,comfortable , up-to-date, quiet and a place we will return to in the future. The Inn is close to Belterra and a shuttle service is available. It is also located right on the Ohio River and a bit of time watching the barges go by is a must!

• Stayed July 2011
1 Thank Nanabear715
Indianapolis, Indiana
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2011

The place is clean and the beds are comfortable, but that is as far as it goes. Be prepared to share your stay with people who actually live on the ground floor of the hotel. These people are the employees of the Belterra Casino. This is why i could not get a ground floor room. I wondered why there was never one available. I found out from another guest they paid 116 for a ground floor suite, which had a fireplace and jacuzzi and i was charged 129 for a top floor regular room ! Our room was close to the hotel air conditioner and swimming pool, constant noise. Being women who were traveling alone we did not feel safe there.

Room Tip: bath tub did not have any slip strips or mat for it, almost lost balance and fell
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank sausalito60
Ohio
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 October 2010

We stayed at the Best Western Ogle Haus Inn on a "free night" reward basis. We weren't there for long, but there are a few things you should know if you stay there.

First, the hotel is older but nice. It is in a quiet neighborhood and set back from the road a little. The Switzerland County HS, middle school, and elementary school are across the street, so I suppose it would be noisier had we been there on a school day.

The back of the hotel overlooks the Ohio River. Fantastic view! Make sure you ask for a second floor room with a river view (unfortunately, we didn't know about it and so we got a first floor parking lot view!)

In fact, our room was probably the worst location of the entire hotel. I guess you get what you pay for, but even so...the lobby door, a hallway intersection, the vending/ice machines and a maintenance closet were all right outside our doorway. Soundproofing is NOT at all this hotel's strong suit!

The free wi-fi was a major draw for us, but it was terribly weak--a real disappointment. My husband got it to work for a fair amount of time, but I couldn't get on at all. I suppose more than one connection would have overwhelmed it anyway.

Not that I blame management, but we were also there during a weekend when the hotel was rented out for someone's wedding.The rehearsal dinner was held there during our stay, and a lot of excited children and adults were apparently congregating at the aforementioned vending machines until well after 11 pm. I'm not sure I'd have booked the room knowing that we were going to be so close to the festivities. In hindsight, I should have at least changed rooms--my fault for not speaking up, I guess.

Didn't use the pool or weight room, but they looked nice. There is also a deck off of the dining area (continental breakfast was fairly good) and the river view is once again gorgeous.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Vevay
Ramada Sparta/At Speedway
Belterra Casino Resort
Belterra Casino Resort
#1 of 2 in Florence
General Butler State Resort

Been to Ogle Haus Inn? Share your experiences!