“3 Day husky safari”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Jurmu
Finn-Jann Husky Farm
Reviewed 2 February 2014

I wanted to do something different than skiing. Dog sledding thus...
Great people, lovable dogs, plenty of food, surreal surroundings and an unforgettable experience! Got to go back some day to see the northern lights. I truly recommend Finn-Jann huskyfarm, but bring warm underware :-)

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Finn-Jann Husky Farm

Reviewed 16 April 2013

We booked a multi-active programme through Finn Jann's web site so we did not stay at the farm but at Hotel Iso Syote which provided the other two snow activities for the week.

We only experienced the services of the Finn Jann Husky Farm for our training day and not the two day overnight safari. Finn Jann obviously has an arrangement with Hotel Iso Syote for its guests on this 8 day - 7 night package and a working arrangement with another husky farm Husky Center Kolmiloukko (reviewed separately) with whom we did the overnight safari.

The guides for our training day at the Finn Jann Huskyfarm were excellent - the dogs did not look like the fluffy arctic dogs I'm used to seeing (huskies as we generally call them). These had greyhound bred into them and it was very noticeable on some of the wheelers how muscular they were. Training day here unfortunately meant we had to be two to a team and having already been on an overnight husky safari at another wilderness hotel, it was a little disappointing not to be driving my own team but it meant I could take videos on my camera but it's colder as a passenger rather than a driver, so be prepared. Lunch by the campfire - standard soup and sausage and the ubiquitous Finnish coffee - amazingly on this safari, 8 of us wanted tea and 1 coffee! - and time to warm up.

My only point of annoyance is that Hotel Iso Syote provides the cold weather gear for the week's activities so I feel that perhaps Finn Jann may mention to the hotel to get their guests fitted out the night of arrival and ensure that they have proper fitting gloves and boots for the three days of dog-sledding as we were told on our sixth day by our snow-shoe guide that the gloves we had were not right and we would have cold fingers - which indeed we did for 5 days

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 March 2013

We booked through KE Adventure, we had one day training day and then one overnight trip to a log cabin by a frozen lake. All the guides were great and knowledgable and the dogs were well looked after and happy. I had Leon, Salemo, Bill and Bull they were great and really looked after me as I had never done this before we covered 30+km and stopped for lunch by an open fire. I was expecting a bit of a talk and only an hour out with them on the training day but no 20 min talk on how to stay on turn and brake downhill and then we were off following a snowmobile.
The over night trip we set off however my husbands dogs were not happy so we swapped a dog so I then had Julienne and I lost Salemo, and then everything was good we stopped on a track and walked a few meters to a fire pit covered in snow where we stayed for lunch before travelling onto the cabin. On arrival at the cabin the dogs were unharnessed and each had their own kennel by this time it had stopped snowing!!!!!! We lit the fires for the sauna and hot water. The guides stayed and ate with us and we helped feed the dogs before sauna and bed. Very comfy nights sleep. Woke about 7 so lit the fires and had a coffee whilst watching the sunrise. The dogs were very settled and seemed very happy magical really. Then after breakfast a full day in the sunshine sledding stopped in the frozen swamp for lunch before getting the dogs home.
Can't wait to come back would do more days though.

Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 January 2013

On my return trip to Finn Jann Husky Farm in Northern Finland, in March 2012, I travelled alone but you are never alone once you arrive at your destination. Your guides are helpful and friendly and the dogs love to meet visitors and get your attention. The safari out to the cabins is a wonderful experience and staying overnight in the cabin is so peaceful - eating by candlelight, enjoying a conversation interspersed by the crackling of the woodfire.The dogs enjoy the trip immensely and it provides you with lots of opportunity to get to know and appreciate their different personalities. They are as important to me as the scenery, the joy of travelling in pristine countryside and the gorgeous food which your guide prepares for you every day. Marya was our guide and she looked after her team of two with humour and dedication. The team can consist of 6 people but on this trip, there were only two of us. The previous year there were five in our group - big or small, the group size is irrelevant - the experience is wonderful either way. I will return in 2014, sad that I am going to miss my trip this year. I would recommend a visit to Finn Jann if you want to have a very special experience - frozen lakes, clear blue skies and exciting pathways through the silent forests, sledding with a team of energetic, charismatic huskies - hard to beat! :-) :-) Patricia O (London, UK)

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 10 January 2013

If you want to try something else, this is it!

We've went for a one week safari and stayed in 2 different cabins with no electricity and running water. It is an experience of a lifetime which you won't regret.
The sceneries are awesome, it was quiet and serene and like most people, you just want to bring some of the dogs home. They do all the work and are really strong and happy. They just love to be running and pulling the sled through the snowy tracks. You will start having a bond with your dogs within a day or two.

Everything was very well arranged and the staff is very friendly, easy going and helpful. We enjoyed the chores we had to do - feeding the dogs, collecting water for the sauna, washing-up, creating the fire in the cabins,,. It was an amazing, authentic experience and our main goal was to see the northern lights but that really became secondary.

If you are someone who likes to have everything organised, this is definitely not something for you. Some efforts from your side is being expected, but you will enjoy every minute!

If you are someone who needs to be connected, the farm has wifi which is convenient if you are from abroad.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Multimul
Reviewed 8 March 2012

Myself and my sister went on a five-day husky safari organised by the Finn-Jann Husky Farm in March 2011. It was probably the most amazing experience I have had, sledding with the huskies through a peaceful, snowy wilderness and being looked after by an excellent team of people. It was fun, exciting, exhilarating and most of all an education. The dogs were healthy, happy and friendly. Their enthusiasm was inspiring. The routes across country with the dogs were spectacular -expansive frozen lakes, silent forests bordering narrow, undulating paths cutting through deep snow; lunches in the open around an aromatic, wood fire. Warming soup and toasted sandwiches washed down by steaming tea. The dinners in the farm and the log cabins were home-cooked and delicious. I had to control my urge for third helpings. We even enjoyed the few chores we had to do - feeding the dogs, collecting water for the sauna, washing-up. It was an amazing, authentic experience and I am going back in two days time to do it all again. I want to see, pet and talk the dogs; I want to sample the same gorgeous food; I want to sled through the Finnish wilderness with nothing to break the silence except the slushing of the snow as the sled drives through it and the panting of the dogs as they do what they love best - run. I would not be returning, despite all of these attractions, if the owner, Timo, and his expert staff did not provide a professional, high quality service for all their guests. Everything was managed in a gentle, serene manner - if you are not at peace when you arrive, believe me you will be when you leave! I could not rate my experience at the Finn-Jann Huskey Farm more highly. I will report back on my 2012 trip with more superlatives I am sure. Patricia O'Sullivan (Ireland) but living in London.

Room Tip: This is a wilderness holiday - you are allocated rooms to share if you are travelling alone but migh...
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Patricia O
Reviewed 22 February 2012

My wife booked a two day dogsledding trip here as a surprise 70th birthday present. Dogsledding had always been an aspiration and my wife probably thought time was running out for me! It was an inspired choice. Stepping off the plane at Kuusamo airport at -25C was a good introduction to a very different environment, followed by a magical transfer, in the dark, past endless snow laden trees with the snow gently falling, to the farm. A good, if late, meal was followed by a careful kitting out for the next day by my trip leader, Marja. She really did make especially sure that my boots were comfortable. The next day, before a hearty breakfast, saw me out in the snow, photographing and getting to know one dog, Bella, who turned out to be in "my" team. Then came a rather daunting briefing on how to manage a sled and dog team, followed by harnessing the team to the sled. There were three of us plus Marja and both the others were paying repeat visits, always a good sign! It was agreed that my sled would be in the middle, which was helpful. I knew the dogs would shoot off once the sled was released by a member of staff and that this would be the only two-footed start. (Normally you hold the dogs back with one foot and much weight, on the brake) Off they went and I was into the first of four rides of my life. Marja set the trail well ahead - we hardly heard the snowmobile - but also stopped at particularly tricky corners or ambiguous junctions, so I felt really cared for even amongst the adrenaline-filled twists and turns along the trails. It was a wonderful mixture of peacefully gliding between trees, or across a frozen lake, (which brings tears to your eyes, it is so beautiful), punctuated by those frantic efforts to keep the sled on the trail when following the dogs around tight corners. It snowed most of the time, so we were forging new trails much of the time, with snow about 2 feet deep on either side.
Picnic in the snow? Well, it's all organised. Fire pits are available, snow shovelled out, birch logs taken out of the snowmobile trailer, birch bark lit and two minutes later there's a roaring fire. Spread reindeer skins around the fire, catch hold of one of the sticks left there for the purpose and cook a sausage stuck on the end of it whilst Marja heats up a pot of soup on a rather stouter stick. Meanwhile the dogs are enjoying a well-earned lie in the snow. (It is remarkable that they lie quietly until the signs of departure, then they bark furiously and enthusiastically until the off, when they are instantly quiet and quickly into running mode)
On arrival at the overnight cabin we were despatched to get water from the lake - took half an hour to break through the ice, temperatures had been below -30C. Water for the sauna, for the dogs, for us. In that order I suspect. Marja lit the woodburning stoves in the cabin and in the sauna. Head torches were really useful: candles were the only source of light. We stocked up with logs for the cabin woodburner and whilst we did not add clothing when we went to bed (unlike camping in the Okavango, where all available clothes were added at night), we did not remove any. The woodburner was constantly replenished throughout the night and we were warm enough in our many layers.
At first light in the morning there was a truly wonderful experience as the dogs, in perfect unison, set up a howl, repeated several times for one or two minutes. They were announcing their presence to the world: here we are, this is us, this is our land. In that moment I was no longer a tourist trying my hand at dogsledding, I was part of their team, their family.
Two more legs back to the farm left me exhausted and exhilarated in equal measure.

I am not an adrenaline junkie even though I have white water rafted, overlanded in Africa, bombed around the Arctic in a zodiac, quad-biked in the sand dunes etc. This trip had enough adrenaline moments for a lifetime and also enough spell-binding moments of natural beauty for a lifetime. If dog-sledding appeals to you at all, however remotely, if you like nature and being at one with nature, don't hesitate. It is still difficult to believe how much experience can be packed into two days and the staff at Finn-Jann are both professional and friendly.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank Sandalholme

Been to Finn-Jann Husky Farm? Share your experiences!