“Refreshing and relaxing get-a-way!”
Review of Mont Rest Inn

Mont Rest Inn
Ranked #1 of 4 Bellevue B&B and Inns
Reviewed 10 October 2012

Beautiful location. River walk and shopping and restaurants within walking distance. The gift shop is small but has a good selection of Mont Rest souvenirs to take home.The mansion has unique decor, outstanding furnishings, exceptional staff, and fabulous cuisine! It exceeded my expectations. I read the reviews but I was astonished at how magnificent this establishment is. The breakfast was delicious and abundant. There was a full house, so it was fun to have a chance to meet so many people and yet we had plenty of time to be alone and enjoy the main rooms and surroundings. We did the murder mystery dinner, which I highly recommend. Naomi is charming! The night went a little long, but no one seemed to mind because we were having so much fun together and the meal was excellent. My steak wasn't as tender as I would have liked, but it was tasty. There were some negatives to our visit which mainly dealt with maintenance and upkeep. Light bulbs or switches didn't work in our closet and on the deck where the hot tub was located so that made it a little difficult to turn the tub on. At night it was amazing to be out in the hot tub looking up at all the stars! Gorgeous view from the deck by day. The stair rail to the deck was loose at the top and although we advised management of the situations neither the light on the deck nor the loose railing was fixed during our visit. We stayed in the Eagle's Nest which is on the second floor of the building adjoining the main house. I think I would stay in the main house the next time. The room has a beautiful fireplace and the two person whirlpool tub and shower was wonderful!! Our room was not soundproof, which meant we could hear everyone's conversations and each time they went in and out their door. Recommend earplugs for light sleepers in this room. Our room was extremely warm, as it seems it was true for most of the rooms from conversations I had with others. We did have a ceiling fan in the room, but the remote control was missing, which management knew about but didn't tell us until we noticed the first night because the room was hot! We were sent to "borrow" the remote from one of the other rooms. We did open the windows for a while, but there were no screens. There were other minor issues not worth mentioning here, because what they lacked in maintenance, they made up in hospitality, personality and fine food. I have stayed at several B&Bs and for what they offer I rate this as one of my top five.

Room Tip: Eagle's Nest and Carriage House share are separate rooms that use one entrance on the second lev...
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 30 September 2012

-- Rooms and home are very nice and authentic without an old house feeling
-- Most rooms have a private bathroom
-- Hosts were enjoyable, engaging and left us alone when needed
-- There is plenty of room in the building or on the porch to relax
-- Great food
The only B&B experience we've enjoyed. In most cases we'd rather just stay at a hotel, but this is different and turned out to be an enjoyable stay. We will return.
Hal n Shery

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 18 September 2012

I had checked out the Inn online numerous times. However, seeing the Mansion in person left me speechless. The pictures on their website did not do the Mansion justice. The rooms in the Mansion are very well designed and make one feel as if they are right at home.

My husband and I stayed in one of the cabins. I found it to be very cozy and comfy, I could have lived there. I think the thing I found most unique about the cabins was you feel as if you are way out in the middle of nowhere. However, there is actually a gas station just down the streeet (within walking distance) and other place to eat and enjoy yourself. I highly recommend the cabins, the view is awesome. The food was fresh and very well prepared as well. I was surprised to find there was not a bunch of fried food on the menu.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 August 2012

I travel for a living and usually stay at holiday inn. This trip I was shocked when my gps sent me to a beautiful mansion ontop of a hill. The owners are friendly but non intrusive and the place was awesome! Ive never slept better or felt more at home than on this trip. Definitely recommend staying here. I will if im ever in bellview iowa again, thats for sure.

• Stayed: August 2012
1  Thank Travelincarter
Reviewed 16 July 2012

we arrivedfriday the13 at monetrest kri and ralph met us at the door ralph helped us to our rooms and kriss had fresh choc, cookies for us on saturday had a great breakfast and then naomi entertaind us all to a murder mystery and a grat newyork strip steak for supper and great dessert too all had a good time and then another good breakfast on sunday before checking i would highy recommend this inn we stayed july 13 ,14 2012 clean inn and very friendly people
thanks again rick and carla

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 9 July 2012 via mobile

We attended the Murder Mystery with 5 other couples and had the most unique fun we hadn't experienced anywhere else. The Murder Mystery was well orchestrated ensuring all 12 characters were involved and had fun. Aside from the dinner the B&B was so comfortable and accommodating to our large group. The caretakers/hosts were gracious and made every moment of our 3 day stay enjoyable. Lastly, the food was outstanding!!

• Stayed: May 2012
Reviewed 12 June 2012

My wife and I spent months searching for the perfect wedding ceremony and reception weekend location, and we finally found Mont Rest! We got married outside on the beautifully maintained and recently landscaped lawn (we've got so many compliments about how eye-catching our ceremony was). We held our reception (about 130 people) inside the giant beautiful eclectic/Victorian style rooms and had our dance floor on the outside patio. Between the rooms, the huge wrap-around porch and the patio area (not to mention the roof hot tub) there are so many places to mingle and enjoy yourself. We invited our family and wedding party to spend the weekend with us--Breakfasts were delicious and the staff was very pleasant and accommodating. Naomi helped us plan and keep things going throughout the weekend (we called her our "professional nice person") and Chris the owner will not let you go without an interesting story from her and her husband's life!
We love to stay at B&B's, and besides the fact that it was our wedding weekend, this was our favorite stay so far--we can't wait to come back on one (or more) of our anniversaries!

Room Tip: Don't neglect to utilize the espresso machine!
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bellevue
Best Western Designer Inn & Suites
Ramada Galena Hotel and Day Spa
Stoney Creek Inn
Stoney Creek Inn
#2 of 11 in Galena
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Galena IL
Chestnut Mountain Resort
Eagle Ridge Resort & Spa

Been to Mont Rest Inn? Share your experiences!