“Perfect Choice”

Ranked #1 of 4 Burlington B&B and Inns
Glenwood, Iowa
“Perfect Choice”
Reviewed 22 December 2013

We wanted to do something special for our 5th wedding anniversary so we decided to take Amtrak from Omaha to Burlington and stay at a B&B. When we chose the Squirrel's Nest we didn't know what to expect, but when we were greeted at the station by Inez we knew this was not going to an ordinary weekend. Inez and David were the most gracious hosts we have encountered on any of our trips. The breakfasts were works of art and delicious. The scenery was amazing, a great view of the Mississippi from our room. We were blessed with great weather for November, the trees still had colorful orange and red leaves and the temperature was just right for walking around the town. What made our anniversary special, however, was the hospitality of the Metzgers. The Squirrel's Nest is the perfect choice.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
Springfield, Missouri
Reviewed 18 November 2013

From the moment we arrived the atmosphere was warm, caring, intimate and romantic! My partner and I felt totally comfortable, welcome and at ease. Inez and David were the most wonderful hosts anyone could ever wish to have. The breakfasts were amazing and beautiful. Inez took my unique dietary quirks into account as well. But the greatest part for us was the beautiful scenery. We happened to find this B&B while looking for a beautiful and romantic setting for a private wedding ceremony. This was the absolute best choice we could have made! Everything was perfect ! The Metzger's truly made our special day a unique and joyous time to remember! 11/12/13 was positively picture perfect for our sunrise ceremony! From the light covering of new snow and the beautiful and colorful clear sky at sunrise to the calm glass like appearance of the Mississippi River in the background, we could not have planned a more beautiful setting!

Room Tip: For beauty and romance, the penthouse suite is incomparable.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Kat_Hopley-Jackson
marion, ia
Reviewed 22 October 2013

Upon arrival to the Squirrels Nest, Inez was very friendly and open arms, showed us around their home along with taking us to our room, which we stayed in the Penthouse! Completely BLOWN away. The photos do not justice for this room. It was open and airy, there was a bathroom, shower, Jacuzzi tub, a FANTASTIC view of the River! It was more than expected. The balcony was a nice little addition which we could see the beautiful sun rise. The view is breath-taking and well worth the drive. In the morning Inez made a wonderful breakfast, a great way to start to the day, everything was hand made along with a touch of a romantic feel. Inez and David were very very knowledgeable with the town and was helpful on things we should do or see or go to eat. For a first timer, it might be hard to go to another B&B, we were truly spoiled the entire time we were in town. The Squirrels Nest is for sure well worth an evenings stay!

3 Thank blondie506
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 21 October 2013

You can get here from Chicago via plane or train, and it is worth it! The penthouse suite is very nice and relaxing. You have your own balcony with fantastic views of the sunrise, your own whirlpool tub, and squirrel decorations all around :) Breakfast was excellent in the morning too. If you are looking to get out of the city and away for a relaxing weekend, look no further. As some one that has stayed in many bed and breakfasts, I can say this was one of my favorites!

1 Thank Scott B
colchester illinois
Reviewed 14 October 2013

The Squirrel's Nest Bed & Breakfast has one of the most spectacular views that we've ever experienced in a B&B and we have stayed in many. Their penthouse nest is wonderful for a weekend getaway. With Jacuzzi and private deck..mini kitchen and amazing bathroom and king size bed and your own telescope to view the river more closely :)!! IF your ever in the southeast Iowa area this is a must stay at a reasonable rate .

Big Pine Key, Florida
Reviewed 23 September 2013 via mobile

Comfortable at home feeling. Beautiful views of the great Mississippi River. Gourmet breakfast. A true gem for Burlington Iowa. Our host made us feel like family. The Squirrels Nest is a true treasure!

• Stayed September 2013
Cedar Rapids
Reviewed 17 September 2013

My husband and I were reluctant to ever try another B&B, because, up to staying at The Squirrel's Nest, we had not had any good experiences. We wanted to do something special to celebrate our one year anniversary, and my husband found The Squirrel's Nest online. We read the reviews, and I have to admit, we were hesitant to give it a try. I am SO glad we did!! Not only was this a beautiful B&B, but Inez and David were beautiful people who welcomed us from the get go. Inez gave us a tour as well as some history on the property and her family. Amazing story! We stayed in the penthouse, and it was beyond stunning! The view, the room..all of it was incredible! As if the room wasn't enough, the breakfast they made us on both days was the best I've ever had! They spared no expense, and not one detail was overlooked in the presentation and the flavor! We enjoyed our visit immensely, and we are looking forward to going back as soon as we are able!

I also asked Inez to make one of her fruit bouquets, and it was gorgeous! And yummy! She helped me add some extra touches to make it special for my husband and I.

One more thing...Inez puts cookies in every room for her guests. These are the best cookies I have EVER put in my mouth!!! I could not get enough of them! I can't stress it enough that anyone reading this needs to visit this wonderful place. I don't have enough words to express my gratitude to Inez and David for making us feel at home as soon as we arrived. I will forever be grateful to this incredible couple for all they did!

Jason and April
Cedar Rapids, IA

Room Tip: Stay in the Penthouse!! It's a must!!!
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple