“Very nice hotel”

Comfort Suites Burlington
Ranked #2 of 11 Hotels in Burlington
Reviewed 20 April 2009

We stayed at this property for 1 night, attending a Softball tournament. The hotel is on the very south side of Burlington, across the highway from the airport. The hotel is the only building around, you can not miss it driving south out of town. There is nothing within walking distance. I do believe this hotel to be very new. It does have a restaurant that is attached to the hotel. We did not eat at the restaurant, other than enjoying the breakfast provided on Sunday morning. The breakfast was well above average. My only teeny tiny complaint is that they had biscuits, but no gravy to have biscuits and gravy. That was a bummer. The rest of the breakfast was great. Check in was easy and fast. They did allow us to check in about 2 hours early. (thank you very much) The hotels lobby was quite spacious and very attractive. Our room was great. Clean, spacious and the beds were very comfortable. A small sitting area divided the 2 beds from the bathroom. The bathroom was clean and quite large too. The heater was unit controlled and worked great. The tv and channels available were more than adequate. They do have free wireless internet access from your room and it worked fine. No complaints at all. I did not check out the pool area. I saw a fitness center, but it was very small and maybe had 2 pcs of equiptment. I did not try it out. The business center had 1 computer terminal and printer. I did not need to use either. 1 very odd setup to this hotel was the placement of the elevators. Maybe just odd to me, but they had an elevator on each side of the hotel, but not at the center, where you enter at the front desk. I noticed this because our room was on the 2nd floor, towards the very center of the hotel. Nothing really I guess, just an observation. I would most certainly stay at this hotel again if I had the need.

Stayed: April 2009, travelled with family
2  Thank iowacityia

Reviewed 10 March 2009

My wife and I stayed at this hotel this past summer as part of a convention. When we arrived I guess they were a "little behind" in getting the rooms ready and there were a number of guests milling about waiting for their rooms to be ready. Ours actually was so we got right in. The property is reasonably new and in overall decent condition. The desk staff was friendly and helpful.

The rooms are nice and spacious and reasonably well kept as the hotel isn't that old. The cleaning crew was apparently in a bit of a hurry as there was still some trash laying around (crumpled up paper on the floor by the bed and used soap in the bathtub) otherwise it seemed clean. Refrigerator/Microwave is an "upgrade", otherwise the room is what you would expect from this mid-level type of hotel.

They have a decent free breakfast buffet, served in their in-house restaurant. The restaurant is convenient if you need a bite to eat and the food wasn't bad but the service was pretty slow (several of our group commented on it). The conference facilities are nice and easily accommodated our large group.

The only things I didn't care for at this hotel were the items that tend to come standard with other similar class hotels. As mentioned, a refrigerator is not standard in the room. The "business center" computer is charged by the minute, prints by the page, and even then the internet access was broken for most if not all of the week we were there. Something sorely missed since I didn't bring a laptop on this trip.

Overall the experience was nice. A few things I'll pass off as stress from having a larger group there. The only thing that prevented me from giving a better overall rating is the lack of amenities that come standard with their competition.

• Stayed: July 2008
1  Thank CO_Flyboy
Reviewed 3 September 2008

We were there for a convention and stayed 5 nights. Many people were checking in at once, and many people had checked out that morning so I don't think they were quite ready for us.

Our room was spacious and clean for the most part. A shampoo bottle and soap from the previous occupants were still in the shower when we checked in. There was also hair on the bathroom floor by the shower. The rest of the room was clean though. What I found disappointing was that a suite, especially for the price, did not have a refrigerator and/or microwave. I have stayed in lesser hotels and even darn cheap motels that had those amenities!

A couple of things to keep in mind: 1) When they say they have "guest laundry", they do not mean a washer and dryer for use by the guests but rather a valet laundry service which was somewhat expensive; and 2) their "Business Center" is totally lame: they charge $.49 per minute for computer use, whether it's for Internet access or word processing, and $.50 per page to print something. Not that it really mattered because the computer was broken the entire time we were there.

Every morning they provide a free hot breakfast which was pretty good. It included eggs, biscuits and gravy, either bacon or sausage, 3 types of cereal, pastries or muffins, waffles, instant oatmeal, apples, oranges, coffee, tea, orange juice, apple juice, cranberry juice, and milk. The breakfast was served in the restaurant attached to the hotel. If you decide to dine there for any other meal, be prepared to wait quite some time to receive your food.

In the end I do have to say that the hotel is pretty nice, the bed was comfortable, the staff was friendly, and the breakfasts were good. It just seems that this hotel lacks amenities that other, cheaper hotels provide for free.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled on business
1  Thank nickels_worth
Reviewed 16 August 2008

My husband and I had a family gathering to attend and Burlington is the closest town. We booked a room here for two nights originally. I was specific in our requirements, clean and quiet. We booked the nicest suite and for a small town this was pretty pricey. It would have been no matter if it had lived up to the expectation. First of all, the room was right next to the elevator. It was definitely a disappointment for room arrangement as well. The jetted tub is in a carpeted dark alcove off the sitting area of the room and the bed is in another small alcove off of the sitting area. The bath was small and nothing special for sure. The absolute worst part of this experience was the incredible noise level. People were running and STOMPING upstairs until well after 1AM. I called the front desk and the woman who answered was not friendly or helpful. We canceled our second night and would never stay at this hotel again. I wrote a letter to the local management and never heard back from them. In short, a much lesser hotel would have matched the experience so don't waste your money.

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled on business
2  Thank cjasper
Reviewed 10 July 2008

We booked this hotel for a family reunion, based on other reviews, and were very pleased.
The staff was courteous and allowed us to check in early after a long drive.
The room was clean and well-maintained.
As others mentioned, the pool and breakfast were awesome.
My niece asked for and received a crib and a refrigerator for her suite.
My granddaughter lost her security bear, and we were worried that it had been rolled up in the sheets and taken away by housekeeping. PopPop told the front desk, "This hotel is great, but I will give you five stars plus if you find my granddaughter's bear." They had it behind the counter --she had left it in the restaurant--making it a perfect stay!

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled with family
2  Thank SKLNJ
HappyHotelier, Manager at Comfort Suites Burlington, responded to this reviewResponded 7 August 2008

We would like to thank you for your positive review. Reviews and guest comments continue to help us in maintaining high standards and 100% GUEST satisfaction. We hope to see you soon during your next visit to Burlington, Iowa!

Reviewed 28 May 2008

I was pleased with most every aspect of our stay at this hotel.

The rooms were clean and comfortable. I noticed another review mentioned a fridge in the room, but we did not have one, so it might be something to request if needed.

The breakfast was excellent for this type of hotel -- waffles, biscuits/gravy, eggs, ham, cereal, yogurt, some fruit, and danish. The breakfast area was in the restaurant, and was well-kept.

The pool was great -- large and nice for kids. One complaint about the pool area -- it was HOT! I mean, like a sauna in the whole pool room. The pool itself was fine, but it was uncomfortable to sit in the room. The kids didn't seem to mind, but the adults were sweating!

We were pleased with the accommodating staff. We were staying with a large group (all family) using 8-9 rooms, and they were kind enough to allow a couple of special requests. Thank you!

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled with family
1  Thank randomtravels79
Reviewed 26 August 2007

We were pleasantly surprised by the quality of this hotel.
Our room was very clean and larger than we expected. The added amenities of refrigerator and microwave made our stay even better.
The lobby was tasteful and very nice. Front desk staff friendly and attentive.
The pool was the best we've seen in quite a while - much nicer than one would expect with a generous shallow end, room to do laps and a nice hot tub with a waterfall. Very cool.
The free hot breakfast was good both days we stayed. Best of all, the staff in the breakfast room treated all guests as if we were paying for the meal.
We had a family celebration in the attached restaurant, Fiddlesticks. Again, staff was most kind. We were seated in a special corner niche and accomodations were made for the cake we provided.
Our heartfelt thanks to everyone at Comfort Suites - you truly made a difference in our vacation.

• Stayed: August 2007, travelled with family